Suggestion: Downloaded Resources

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 10 2019 11:44 AM

When opening a guide that requires a resource or resources to generate a specific section it would be helpful if the section could indicate that the required resource or resources, if licensed, needs to be download for the section to be displayed.

Ideally this should include an option to download the resource or resources required.

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 10 2019 5:34 PM

Graham Owen:
it would be helpful if the section could indicate that the required resource or resources, if licensed, needs to be download

The Cloud Resources feature exacerbates the situation where you want to download a subset of your Library, and it has not chosen a useful set of Recommended resources during installation. Faithlife know that this has to be improved, and have proposed/tried to download our Prioritized resources as well (not succesfully to date). Faithlife need to select the basic resources for workable Guides, but they can't do this for every section.

Should they do as you suggest, though?  It could be possible for sections with very specific resource requirements (you may currently get a "Required resources are missing" type of message for some). The Theology Guide was implemented with only 5 tagged resources. Now that they have tagged 20 or more, would you want them to provide a list of your 15 licensed resources that were not downloaded? On the other hand, a Passage Guide could be unhelpful because a Commentaries section didn't have resources, but I think you understand that the specific collection isn't required.

Note that the current implementation does not allow a choice of datasets, which provide a richer source of files for saving drive space. Choose unwisely, and you've ruined Topic Guide. We should probably accept what FL deem to be required, and then accept the consequences of our decisions!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2019 10:14 AM

Dave Hooton:
On the other hand, a Passage Guide could be unhelpful because a Commentaries section didn't have resources, but I think you understand that the specific collection isn't required.

Some sections are obvious. I have not downloaded any Journals so that section does not work, commentaries work because I have already downloaded those that I use the most.

Cross References did not work but I managed to figure out what to do based on my full install.

I guess the minimal implementation would need to flag for download the most common tagged resource for each feature even though this might not be the best or even the user's preference. The ideal would probably be the ability to open a library view with a filter showingall of the users resources with the tagging for the specific guide.

I appreciate that for Faithlife supporting this is going to create some challenges and that this is something that they have resisted. But now the function is here I'm looking forward to get the most out of it. I do remember that Bob warned us that there would be consequences if we were given freedom over what resources are downloaded with this in mind I'm OK with all of the datasets being downloaded even if some are large. 

Before posting I checked the help file to see if there were any clues there but while the different options are document there are no clues as to what type of resources, or specific source, is required. There is a mention of Logos Atlas but the context for information is different. Given that this is not an approach that Faithlife would want widely adopted some additional documentation to help resolve this type of issue could be a reasonable approach.

One thing I will say though is that there are probably better uses of the developers time at the moment.

Posts 228
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 11 2019 11:36 AM

Should probably add that in my excitement to use this great new capability I switched to the Beta Channel on my Surface Go, ignored the recommendations and started downloading all of the resources that made up my ideal mini library. So to be fair I probably only have myself to blame that some things are not yet working as they should.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS