Transferring All Resources From Libronix to Logos 4

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Apr 12 2019 3:22 PM

I have Logos 4 installed on the computer. The books appear to be stored in Logos4\Data\ayk4cbkc.1cm\ResourceManager\Resources. They have the  .logos4 file extension. I also have many gigabytes of resources from Libronix (which was a previous version of Logos software) on another computer. They have the .lbxlls file extension. I need to know how to transfer and use those resources in Logos 4. Should I simply automatically rename the extension of all the files from .lbxlls to .logos4 and then put them in Logos 4 folder (Logos4\Data\ayk4cbkc.1cm\ResourceManager\Resources)?

Posts 9911
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 12 2019 4:22 PM

Alexander:

I have Logos 4 installed on the computer. The books appear to be stored in Logos4\Data\ayk4cbkc.1cm\ResourceManager\Resources. They have the  .logos4 file extension. I also have many gigabytes of resources from Libronix (which was a previous version of Logos software) on another computer. They have the .lbxlls file extension. I need to know how to transfer and use those resources in Logos 4. Should I simply automatically rename the extension of all the files from .lbxlls to .logos4 and then put them in Logos 4 folder (Logos4\Data\ayk4cbkc.1cm\ResourceManager\Resources)?

That wouldn't work. Logos 4 and up (the software is at Logos 8 now, and you can upgrade for free by "buying" the free Logos 8 Basic, by the way) will always download all the resources you own from the central server. That is, unless you have set up the machine to never use internet or to never download updates. This just won't work anymore for Logos 4 since this software is so outdated it can't connect to the servers anymore. 

If you used the same user id (= email address) for your Libronix and your Logos installations the license server knows you are the same owner. Upgrading Logos 4 to Logos 7 or 8 will make it download everything you have a valid license to that was bought at Logos.com and the other Faithlife stores and that was kept in Libronix and the license synced.

If you didn't use the same user id, Logos 4 will not recognize your license and you can't use the libronix files (which otherwise work in Logos 4 and up just fine, no need to change the file extension) - you'll have to ask customer service to combine the two accounts. Probably you will still need to upgrade to a recent version of Logos to then download your files.

Hope this helps.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2019 2:03 PM

Thank you. The Logos and Libronix files which I have are not linked to my account on the Internet. Therefore, I can use only use these files stored on my computers, and cannot download them.

In order to transfer the Libronix resources to Logos 4, what folder or folders should I copy them into?

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2019 2:14 PM

With Logos 4 upwards, the software will only enable resources that are unlocked to your account and it sounds as though this isn’t the case for the Libronix files you have.

I Recommend contacting Customer Services and see what they advise.

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 13 2019 5:22 PM

Definitely not in Graham's level of expertise, but how did the Logos4 resources get on one of the computers? Even if Logos shipped a DVD, there'd still be an account somewhere. Seems.

On Libby's side (Libronix), it's possible never to have 'dialed in', but for a long time, you could give customer service the CD package serial, and they'd credit your account. They later developed a site to allow this ... is it gone?

But I guess customer service indeed. Gigabytes of Libby goodies sounds unfortunate.

Posts 9911
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 5:29 AM

Denise:
On Libby's side (Libronix), it's possible never to have 'dialed in', but for a long time, you could give customer service the CD package serial, and they'd credit your account. They later developed a site to allow this ... is it gone?

No it still works. It's http://www.Logos.com/Redeem - it would add the Libronix license(s) associated with the key (provided they were never registered to an account with the FL license server) to the account logged in and thus allow to download the books into a recent Logos 7 and up installation.

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 2:41 PM

The account which I have on Logos website has no connection with the Libronix and Logos programs which I have on my computers. Those programs with their resources were obtained by different people in the past. I use Logos 4 offline without any connection with my account. The program simply reads the files stored on the computer.

Is there a way to link with my account all the resources stored in Libronix and Logos files on my computers? If that is not possible, do you know in what other way the Libronix files can be transferred to Logos 4 installed on the computer? Should I simply copy them into a certain folder?

Posts 26106
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:06 PM

Alexander:
Those programs with their resources were obtained by different people in the past.

When you acquired them, did you have the licenses transferred to you? If you didn't, do you have a record of the original purchaser giving you the licenses? If you have some prove of ownership, Faithlife customer service will have to work with you to get this straightened out - your licenses must all be on the same account to work together. There is no way to transfer Libronix files directly. Is there a reason why you are running Logos 4 rather than the current free version of Logos 8?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9911
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:08 PM

Alexander:
Those programs with their resources were obtained by different people in the past.

If those people no longer use their license, it's an easy transfer (of $20 each per library) to associate those resources with your ID and use the combined library in a recent version of Logos. Otherwise it would seem you try to use something that's not intended for your use.

Posts 17874
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:19 PM

Alexander:
Should I simply automatically rename the extension of all the files from .lbxlls to .logos4 and then put them in Logos 4 folder (Logos4\Data\ayk4cbkc.1cm\ResourceManager\Resources)?

No because .lbxlls and .logos4 are different internally.

Logos Wiki => Logos Release History shows the last Logos 4 release was 4.6c SR-7 on 31 Mar 2014, which was five years ago. Also mentions 

Alexander:
I use Logos 4 offline without any connection with my account. The program simply reads the files stored on the computer.

Suspect Logos 4 files on computer have an account license that allows them to be used.

Alexander:
Is there a way to link with my account all the resources stored in Libronix and Logos files on my computers? If that is not possible, do you know in what other way the Libronix files can be transferred to Logos 4 installed on the computer? Should I simply copy them into a certain folder?

Many years ago remember using Libronix 3.0g with the same account as Logos 4. Used 3.0g license sync with servers to upload my Libronix licenses to my account. In Logos 4 (that had downloaded my resource licensing), used scan command of my libronix files, which copied .lbxlls files that had not been updated to .logos4 (subsequently downloaded newer .logos4 files for my Libronix licensed stuff).

Syncing Libronix licenses has not been possible for several years. Logos Wiki => Unsupported Applications includes Libby is standalone as of 1 Oct 2017

For ease of migration to Logos 4 from Libronix 3, seem to remember Logos 4 doing an automatic scan of Libronix 3 (on the same computer) for .lbxlls files to copy, download newer .logos4 files, followed by local indexing of resource files. Libronix 3 was installed for all computer users while Logos 4 is installed for one user (consistent with licensing resources for use by one person).

Faithlife updated their license terms on 15 Mar 2019 => https://faithlife.com/terms

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 3:33 PM

NB.Mick:
No it still works. It's http://www.Logos.com/Redeem - it would add the Libronix license(s) associated with the key (provided they were never registered to an account with the FL license server) to the account logged in and thus allow to download the books into a recent Logos 7 and up installation.

Thank you, NB.

Sounds to me, moving Libby over to the L4 computer is the closest solution ... not clear who the licenses actually belong to.

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2019 2:58 PM

MJ. Smith:

When you acquired them, did you have the licenses transferred to you? If you didn't, do you have a record of the original purchaser giving you the licenses?

The licenses were not transferred to me, and I do not have a record of the original user.

MJ. Smith:

Is there a reason why you are running Logos 4 rather than the current free version of Logos 8?

I am using Logos 4 Platinum because it has more resources than the free Logos 8 program. That is why I also want to transfer all the files from Libronix Gold, which are many gigabytes in size, far more than in Logos 8 Basic. The files must contain a lot of useful information which I do not want to lose. So I need to know how to transfer them to a later version of the program.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Suspect Logos 4 files on computer have an account license that allows them to be used.

There seems to be some license, but it is not connected with the Internet. The program simply reads the resources from the disk. That is why I want to know whether it is possible to transfer both the Logos 4 and Libronix files without my having to download them.

From what has been said so for far, it seems to me that there is no option to transfer the Libronix files into a later version without using an online account. But I guess that the data in those files is decipherable. It is simply a matter of finding out how to make a later version read the contents of those files.

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2019 3:12 PM

Upgrading to the free Logos 8 engine won’t cause you to lose any of the resources you have in Logos 4 Platinum.

Versions of Logos from 4 and above will only provide access to resources that are licensed to the account using the software.

Posts 3163
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 15 2019 3:17 PM

Alexander:
I am using Logos 4 Platinum because it has more resources than the free Logos 8 program.

You don't lose access to Logos 4 Platinum resources if you upgrade to Logos 8. Those older Logos licenses remain a permanent part of your library, regardless of what version you currently run.

Upgrading to Logos 8 lets you use the latest version of the software, which obviously would have many fixes and improvements over the years. It also adds new resources to your existing library that weren't available in Logos 4.

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 16 2019 1:56 PM

PetahChristian:

You don't lose access to Logos 4 Platinum resources if you upgrade to Logos 8.

My account on the website is not linked with the Logos 4 program which I am using on my computer. So if I download Logos 8, I will not be able to download any of the resources stored in Logos 4 on the computer. The same is the case with the Libronix files. They are not linked with my account. Therefore, if I download Logos 8, I will have to find a way to copy the files from Logos 4 and Libronix into the Logos 8 folder and make the program read them. I need to know how to make a later version of the program read the files from a previous version.

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 16 2019 1:58 PM

As above, if resources are not linked to your account you wont be able to access them in Logos 4 or above.

Contacting Customer Services is the way to go but they will want to know you are entitled to access these resources.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 16 2019 2:20 PM

Alexander:

PetahChristian:

You don't lose access to Logos 4 Platinum resources if you upgrade to Logos 8.

My account on the website is not linked with the Logos 4 program which I am using on my computer. So if I download Logos 8, I will not be able to download any of the resources stored in Logos 4 on the computer. The same is the case with the Libronix files. They are not linked with my account. Therefore, if I download Logos 8, I will have to find a way to copy the files from Logos 4 and Libronix into the Logos 8 folder and make the program read them. I need to know how to make a later version of the program read the files from a previous version.

apologies if I am not understanding this thread but I do not understand why you think that you have a legal or moral right to access theses resources without paying for them?

Posts 20
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 1:06 PM

Because the resources which are stored on my computers which I own are helpful in Bible study, and I do not have thousands of dollars to buy the resources from the poor country where I live.

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2019 2:08 PM

Mike Pettit:
apologies if I am not understanding this thread but I do not understand why you think that you have a legal or moral right to access theses resources without paying for them?

Well, there you go. Matt 29:47 (known by 6th century patristic commentators as the poor country exception).

EDIT: Looks like the verse snippet maybe not have access to Matt 29.

Posts 246
LogosEmployee
Joe McCune (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2019 9:43 AM

Alexander:

Because the resources which are stored on my computers which I own are helpful in Bible study, and I do not have thousands of dollars to buy the resources from the poor country where I live.

Hi Alexander,

I would like to see how I can be of assistance, but I need to get some information about your account that should not be publicly posted in this forum,  I will sent you an email.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS