Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Will Scholten | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2019 8:01 AM

I tried to do a screen shot, but it didn't work.

I was in Luke 23:56 yesterday, did a "word study tool" on "according" NIV or "Kata" Greek, went to the Septuagint, clicked on the blue part of the pi, scrolled down to Psalm 118:169, clicked on it and it did open Psalm 119 (which is correct) but reference is to Psalm 118, I looked and all the Psalm 118, should be Psalm 119.

Posts 21573
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 8:35 AM

Hi Will - and welcome to the forums

Will Scholten:
I tried to do a screen shot, but it didn't work.

Try using the paperclip icon in the forum editor

Will Scholten:
clicked on it and it did open Psalm 119 (which is correct) but reference is to Psalm 118, I looked and all the Psalm 118, should be Psalm 119.

This is correct as the numbers differ between the LXX and the Hebrew text. From the Lexham Bible Dictionary:

Major Differences
Major differences between the Hebrew Bible and the LXX include:

• The Hebrew Bible follows a different order of books than the LXX canon.
• Psalms 9 and 10 in the LXX are one psalm. Thus, LXX Psa 10 is MT Psa 11 (and so on for the rest of the Psalter). Versification can also vary between the LXX and the MT.

J. William Johnston, “Septuagint,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

So all Psalms after 10/11 differ by one in numbering

Logos has a versification scheme that manages that across different versions which is why clicking on the reference to 118 in the LXX ring opens 119 in your NIV.

Graham 

Posts 13117
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 8:36 AM

Will Scholten:
I was in Luke 23:56 yesterday, did a "word study tool" on "according" NIV or "Kata" Greek, went to the Septuagint, clicked on the blue part of the pi, scrolled down to Psalm 118:169, clicked on it and it did open Psalm 119 (which is correct) but reference is to Psalm 118, I looked and all the Psalm 118, should be Psalm 119.

Welcome to the forums, Will,

The Septuagint (and Hebrew Bible) sometimes uses slightly different versification to English Bibles, especially in the Psalms. So Psalm 119 in the English Bible is Psalm 118 in the Septuagint.

Posts 2
Will Scholten | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 14 2019 10:45 AM

whoops;

Thank you guys

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS