Ancient Literature

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Rick Laughhunn | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 20 2019 6:42 AM

When performing a passage guide I would like to see the ancient literature section populated with only sources that I own. As it stands, I have to sort through massive amounts of literature that I may or not own and it wastes a lot of time. Please advise. Thanks.

Posts 21918
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 7:02 AM

Hi Rick

Rick Laughhunn:
When performing a passage guide I would like to see the ancient literature section populated with only sources that I own. As it stands, I have to sort through massive amounts of literature that I may or not own and it wastes a lot of time.

I totally understand why you would want this but, based on my understanding of how this particular feature works, I think this would be a signifanct change.

Hopefully someone from Faithlife will comment further.

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 9:24 AM

Ancient Literature is presently more like an index. The links are not to specific resources, but instances of a scheme that may be supported in several different resources.

I'll forward the request (we looked at doing this when the feature was originally implemented, but it was not technically feasible [read: super duper slow]) as maybe things have changed and this is closer to the realm of possibility.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 26518
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 12:47 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
I'll forward the request (we looked at doing this when the feature was originally implemented, but it was not technically feasible [read: super duper slow]) as maybe things have changed and this is closer to the realm of possibility.

But remember that some of us want it to work the way it does now ... so we know what we need to purchase to fill a gap.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3218
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 1:46 PM

MJ. Smith:

But remember that some of us want it to work the way it does now ... so we know what we need to purchase to fill a gap.

Yes

For me, I wouldn't know what valuable resources I was missing without it working this way, and as I'm unfamiliar with what's out there, ancient literature would be the section where I'd really depend on being guided that way.

If a change were to be made, it would be helpful to choose within the section whether we saw all results or owned results.

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 4:04 PM

MJ. Smith:

Agreed.

Posts 1016
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 5:59 PM

PetahChristian:

If a change were to be made, it would be helpful to choose within the section whether we saw all results or owned results.

This would be my preferred solution.

Posts 1289
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 20 2019 10:44 PM

MJ. Smith:

I don't hold much hope for the "only owned resources" being a quick or easy thing. But if it did happen, I'd guess there would be a toggle.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 2
John Huyser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 5:38 AM

What if they were simply colored or highlighted differently if you owned them>

Posts 3675
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 8:23 AM

John Huyser:

What if they were simply colored or highlighted differently if you owned them>

This could be part of a more general scheme since there all hyperlinks are blue in resources whether they indicate owned resources or other links of some sort (abbreviations, bibliographic info, logos unowned resources). 

One work-around solution is to add a collection section and use a collection of owned ancient literature works as so:

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS