Connect Loeb volumes: what's the deal?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 20 2019 8:56 AM

I was (pleasantly) surprised to find what appears to be Loeb volumes in the offerings of Faithlife Classics:

https://ebooks.faithlife.com/search?filters=publisher-3452_Publisher

It would appear that these are only the English translations without the companion original language volumes.

Now I know there is quite a bit of difference of quality between the Perseus version and Logos' version of Loeb volumes. Are the volumes above:

(1) The same as in Perseus?

(2) The English volumes of the Logos edition?

If (2) the next question is whether one would get a dynamic pricing discount if one first gets the English translation and then tries to buy the English-Greek/Latin version on Logos.com.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2019 8:13 AM

Good news, Francis.

These are indeed the Loeb volumes.  The Greek and English volumes are available separately.  I picked up both the Greek and English editions of Hippocrates this way.  And, yes, dynamic pricing works with them.

They're not exactly the same as the Perseus volumes, although at first glance there is little difference (e.g. they include the title page, the table of contents and photos, whereas Perseus does not).

I can't comment on the quality issue unless you give me something in particular to check.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 21 2019 12:10 PM

Can you confirm that parsing is available for the titles you just got? I only got English translations and the text is not parsed (Polybius).

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 22 2019 12:48 AM

I bought Halicarnassus' histories in English and can confirm that I can now see a dynamic pricing discount of the full collection that includes the Greek on logos.com

I should also point out that the link that I provided in the OP does not contain all the Loeb volumes available through Faithlife Classics. It's worth using other sorting methods than the publisher to find all or other volumes if you are interested. Overall, there seems to be mostly the English translation volumes, not the original language ones. Still, for some of us this is a much better option than the depressing task of finding something to download to redeem one's monthly codes. 

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 2:53 AM

Francis:

Can you confirm that parsing is available for the titles you just got? I only got English translations and the text is not parsed (Polybius).

My original idea was just to check that hovering over words provided parsing of the Greek.  This works in both Loeb and Perseus, and consequently morphological searches are available.  I've never thought of looking for parsing in the English.  Are you suggesting something different?

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 23 2019 5:08 AM

No, you are right. For some reason, I wrongly remembered that the English text was tagged to the original. That must be cuz I have some morph-tagged Greek litt (Philo and Josephus). 

All is well. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS