Bait and Switch

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Randy Kyle | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 27 2019 11:55 AM

I have a real problem with Logos including Moos Commentary in the NICNT Sale of All Volumes $29.99 or less. Sure enough, all volumes are that price but they include Moos Romans Commentary at $69.99. That is called a bait and switch. They could have suppressed that and so I let my opinion known to a Logos representative and the response was essentially too bad. 

Ok - fair enough - It may seem small - but underscores that this is a for-profit company and not a parachurch organization -  I have over 18,000 resources - and have been a customer since 2.0 so I have witnessed the growth of Logos and have been an advocate - I need to trust the company that I am doing business with so on principle, I have canceled over $1000 in prepubs and will finish canceling the other $5500 as they come up.

Posts 4563
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2019 12:13 PM

I do not work for Fl, but I think you assessment is unfair. Where did you see the advertisement that said "All" volumes were on sale for that price. Here is a screen shot of the ad

Clearly the ad says "individual volumes", not "all volumes". Also note that the First edition of the Romans commentary is available for the sale price. It is the second edition that is full price. Faithlife would have to explain (if they choose to) why the second edition is not included in the sale, but I suspect it is a publisher's decision and not FL. 

Faithlife has never portrayed themselves as anything other than a for-profit company. The offer products that serve the church, seminaries, and other interested parties. I have always known them to operate with integrity. 

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2019 12:15 PM

Randy Kyle:
this is a for-profit company and not a parachurch organization

It has always been upfront about being a business (which by definition is for profit or it would go out of business) and not a para-church organization. Anyone who thought or behaved as if it were the latter was engaging in wishful thinking, not misled.

Posts 197
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2019 1:48 PM

It is showing as $29.99 to me...perhaps it was just an oversite and has been changed, it does happen (I was looking at first edition)

Faithlife is a for-profit company, that is what allows them to produce the software they do, which is significantly better software than the many free options, or even open source efforts, which whilst commendable, do fail to compete with regards to features.

Posts 6158
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2019 1:59 PM

Kevin:

It is showing as $29.99 to me...perhaps it was just an oversite and has been changed, it does happen.

Faithlife is a for-profit company, that is what allows them to produce the software they do, which is significantly better software than the many free options, or even open source efforts, which whilst commendable, do fail to compete with regards to features.

That’s for the first edition not the second. It’s cheaper to buy the second edition as part of the entire set. For me it shows as $39.99 compared to $60 + by itself. 

FL has stated that the second edition of Romans and the new Galatians volumes are NOT included on the sale. So no bait and switch here.  

DAL

Posts 1407
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 27 2019 8:28 PM

Fred Chapman:

I do not work for Fl, but I think you assessment is unfair. Where did you see the advertisement that said "All" volumes were on sale for that price. Here is a screen shot of the ad

Clearly the ad says "individual volumes", not "all volumes". 

Also, as you can see on the ad, there is clearly asterisk “ * ” which states on the bottom of the page:

* Excludes volumes on Romans and Galatians

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 80
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 28 2019 2:47 PM

It is actually a crime in the state of Washington to commit the offense of “bait and switch.”  Perhaps we should be slow to make such unfounded accusations. See RCW  19.230.340

Posts 178
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 1:59 AM

@Rosie   So good to see you back on the forums helping out! I myself haven't been around for awhile. 

Posts 251
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 6:31 AM

Randy Kyle:

I have a real problem with Logos including Moos Commentary in the NICNT Sale of All Volumes $29.99 or less. Sure enough, all volumes are that price but they include Moos Romans Commentary at $69.99. That is called a bait and switch. They could have suppressed that and so I let my opinion known to a Logos representative and the response was essentially too bad. 

Ok - fair enough - It may seem small - but underscores that this is a for-profit company and not a parachurch organization -  I have over 18,000 resources - and have been a customer since 2.0 so I have witnessed the growth of Logos and have been an advocate - I need to trust the company that I am doing business with so on principle, I have canceled over $1000 in prepubs and will finish canceling the other $5500 as they come up.

Would you be able to screenshot or link to where it says "All Volumes $29.99 or less." ?

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 7:22 AM

When the sale first launched I went to check if it covered the newer volumes (which I thought was unlikely), but when I checked the adverts I could see in a couple of seconds that there were some asterisks there and that the claim wasn't exhaustive.

I appreciate that misreading an advert in haste and getting your hopes up is annoying, and I'm sure we've all experienced that - I know I have, at least - but it's not anyone else's fault.

Posts 2203
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 11:39 AM

Considering that we are supposed to be all about the careful care and meticulous reading and handling of God's Word, you would think that attentiveness would spill over into our daily life.

Not too much to ask.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2911
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 1 2019 1:41 PM

I am grateful for the deal. I was able to just complete my collection with dynamic pricing even better than the discounted price. Wonderful bargain on one of the best commentary series there is. 

I don't think there was anything wrong with the deal. I would way rather them do what they did (asterisk exception) than withhold the sale due to not being able to offer every volume at the <$29 discounted price. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS