Who Fascinates you in church history?

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 784
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 4:47 PM

Okay, I have spent a fair amount of time looking at these suggestions and resources.  WOW there are some really great ones!  Ben, your suggestions really intrigued me...all three of them!  Erasmus probably the most, but I feel as if I might be repeating my paper a bit on Abelard, which shows me I'm drawn to the scholarly types! LOL

I am particularly interested in Henrietta Mears. I actually have some books by her and find her "no nonsense" approach to Bible study really refreshing in this world of fluff (sorry...a tiny rant there).  

I remain open for any other suggestions.   

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 5:53 PM

I have my PhD exams in a week: History of Science, American Religious History, and Reformation History, so I've been getting a really broad overview, and getting to know those I named. Glad they were of interest. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:03 PM

Ben:
I have my PhD exams in a week

All the best on your exams.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2161
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:04 PM

Hildegard von Bingen was a force of nature and ahead of her times. Surprisingly she has not been mentioned already. Her Selected Writings are available in Kindle format. Best wishes to you in your studies, Cynthia. 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2324
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:15 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Ben:
I have my PhD exams in a week

All the best on your exams.

And will add taking those tests to our prayer list. 

Posts 784
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:27 PM

Beloved:

Hildegard von Bingen was a force of nature and ahead of her times. Surprisingly she has not been mentioned already. Her Selected Writings are available in Kindle format. Best wishes to you in your studies, Cynthia. 

Thanks for this wonderful suggestion.  I remember looking at her in my previous class.  However, my paper has to be on someone from the reformation to present.

Cynthia

Posts 784
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:30 PM

Ben:

I have my PhD exams in a week: History of Science, American Religious History, and Reformation History, so I've been getting a really broad overview, and getting to know those I named. Glad they were of interest. 

Ben!  Wishing you the very best and will likewise lift you in prayer!  I've always known you to be quite insightful here on the boards so I'm trusting that will help you go rather far.  History of Science, I think, would do me in, but I am rather fascinated by American Religious History.  Please be sure to let us know how you do!

Cynthia

Posts 2161
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 7:19 PM

Cynthia in Florida:
However, my paper has to be on someone from the reformation to present.

Ok, sorry I took my eyes off the ball. How about Kathryn Kuhlman FL ebooks has a bio available. She is seminal to the Charismatic movement.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 30 2019 8:10 PM

Thanks for the support and prayers, all. It's appreciated and needed. I'm extremely anxious, since this is my second round. My first attempt at a PhD, which included an MA plus four years of coursework, was torpedoed because apparently I couldn't sightread Babylonian well enough. So I bring extra baggage to this. Of course, different school, different field, different kind of exams. 

One week after I finish the written, I have an oral defense (May 20), and then if all goes well, I'll propose my dissertation. I'll report back sometime after the 20th. 

Thanks again. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS