Will these specs hold Logos up well

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6112
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 28 2019 4:33 PM

I’m getting a new laptop as a gift, so I can’t get really picky. The specs look descent, so I was wondering what you guys think 🤔 see picture:

I wish it had an SSD but the amount of memory seems good enough to run Logos.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 4517
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 28 2019 4:54 PM

DAL:

You should be fine in terms of RAM. I did not see what size the HD is, but assuming it is large enough, the computer should be fine. I would recommend an SSD if you are able to do it. That will likely make the most difference in performance. 

Posts 6112
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 28 2019 5:03 PM

Fred Chapman:

DAL:

You should be fine in terms of RAM. I did not see what size the HD is, but assuming it is large enough, the computer should be fine. I would recommend an SSD if you are able to do it. That will likely make the most difference in performance. 

1 Terabyte of HD space 👍 It’s a gift so can’t really get too picky 😁 

Posts 2942
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 28 2019 6:15 PM

Those specs are better than the specs of a lot of laptops running Logos/Verbum. I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

Posts 13126
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 1:15 AM

DAL:

SSDs are really very cheap. A 500GB SSD only costs $80, which would add perhaps 15% to your purchase price, but probably double the speed of many key tasks.

Posts 2016
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 2:07 AM

That machine is fine.  Take it and be very happy.  Definitely upgrade to SSD if you can before hand, but if not, sneak one into the laptop after you get it.

Posts 2171
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 3:22 AM

Nice machine. I think you will love it. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8800
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 6:24 AM

Mark Barnes:

DAL:

SSDs are really very cheap. A 500GB SSD only costs $80, which would add perhaps 15% to your purchase price, but probably double the speed of many key tasks.

I too would highly recommend a SSD if possible. It made a huge difference for me and I consider it almost essential for using Logos. Even if you accept the gift you could upgrade afterwards and "re-gift" the drive to someone else.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6112
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 9:39 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Barnes:

DAL:

I too would highly recommend a SSD if possible. It made a huge difference for me and I consider it almost essential for using Logos. Even if you accept the gift you could upgrade afterwards and "re-gift" the drive to someone else.

So is it as easy as remove the original HD and just putting in the new SSD? Is there anything else to it? Since it’s a gift, I could actually invest on a brand new SSD.

DAL

Posts 4517
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 1:58 PM

DAL:

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Barnes:

DAL:

So is it as easy as remove the original HD and just putting in the new SSD? Is there anything else to it? Since it’s a gift, I could actually invest on a brand new SSD.

DAL

I’m not sure about that particular model. Some are easier to access the HD than others. I have swapped them out on laptops 8-10 times. Simply clone the existing drive, remove the old drive, install the ssd. I would suggest YouTube for a video tutorial

Posts 6112
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 29 2019 2:59 PM

Thanks, Fred! I’ll look it up on YouTube 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS