When Social Justice overshadows the Gospel Message

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3220
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 6:31 AM

James McAdams:

Please can this post be deleted? ... There’s no need for it to remain now.

I’m really grateful that FL isn’t heavy-handed. While they may keep an eye on things, the responsibility of moderating (ourselves) tends to rest upon us.

They’ve got more important things to do (such as improve Logos), and we don’t have to debate whether they censor, delete or lock threads (which they generally don’t seem to do).

In fact, of all the people who could weigh in with a viewpoint about moderation, the fact that FL isn’t posting here is a great example of self-control for us all.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 6:47 AM

Since the mods don't want to lock the thread and since many people are itching to align themselves... Maybe the discussion can be moved elsewhere and we can let it fade from memory here.

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 7:37 AM

PetahChristian:

James McAdams:

Please can this post be deleted? ... There’s no need for it to remain now.

I’m really grateful that FL isn’t heavy-handed. While they may keep an eye on things, the responsibility of moderating (ourselves) tends to rest upon us.

They’ve got more important things to do (such as improve Logos), and we don’t have to debate whether they censor, delete or lock threads (which they generally don’t seem to do).

In fact, of all the people who could weigh in with a viewpoint about moderation, the fact that FL isn’t posting here is a great example of self-control for us all.

That's all well and good if it's a relevant thread that just gets derailed down the line but if, like this one, it starts off by dismissing the beliefs of other Christians as trivial Marxist fantasies, it's not like we can just hope it can get back on track by itself - it was never meant to be posted as it was in breach of the rules from the get-go.

I totally appreciate that the authors intentions were innocent enough and that they've apologised - but the thread is being kept alive by people coming in to add their amen/thumbs up to the author's diagnosis of our sin and error, while decency prevents us from defending our claims given the rules that were established for our mutual good. It's just painful and unpleasant.

Posts 790
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 8:50 AM

James McAdams:

I totally appreciate that the authors intentions were innocent enough and that they've apologised - but the thread is being kept alive by people coming in to add their amen/thumbs up to the author's diagnosis of our sin and error, while decency prevents us from defending our claims given the rules that were established for our mutual good. It's just painful and unpleasant.

Yeah, such a blanket dismissal and denigration is painful indeed.

Posts 329
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 9:05 AM

James McAdams:

There is a "Christian Debate" group on Faithlife where this could be continued: https://faithlife.com/christian-debate/ or a Logos user started an independent forum here: https://www.christiandiscourse.net/

Posts 13
Christopher Bucklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 10:15 AM

Can't say I understand the issue here. The OP was not posting something for theological debate. He made a statement, albeit with some personal observations, spurring us on to be faithful to the Gospel. Again, if encouraging people to be faithful to the central message of the scripture is somehow against the rules, offensive, or "painful and unpleasant", then there is something seriously wrong. 

Seriously, wrong.

At the very least, if the content of this thread somehow rubs you the wrong way, you could always just... not read it. No one is forcing you to click the link. Choose to ignore. Choose to not engage. It's really that simple.

But seriously...

Posts 3058
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 10:50 AM

Christopher Bucklin:
Can't say I understand the issue here.

SineNomine:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.

See Forum Guidelines for more.

Christopher, please see the bold section of the official Forum Guidelines quoted above. These forums are not for discussing "biblical, theological, or other controversial topics," but for discussing FL products. Faithlife does not have any objections to folks discussing these topics for mutual benefit on other forums that exist for such purposes. The forums that FL runs are for discussing FL stuff, just as Microsoft forums are for discussing Microsoft stuff, Tesla's forums are for discussing Tesla stuff, etc.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 11:12 AM

Here, I created a post about this thread in the Faithlife Christian Debate group:

https://faithlife.com/posts/1790151

We can move along from this thread.

Posts 12
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 11:17 AM

Raffaele Paglialunga:

I don't know what is happening where everyone else is at but from what I have been reading from all sorts of Christian authors, from all different walks of life, I am noticing a growing shift in the Gospel presentation.

I love learning by means of reading, as well as listening to different views, especially Christian conferences (T4G, G3, GospelColtion, ShepCon, etc). With that said, I am deeply broken in spirit by what I am seeing take place in the Christian world. I have often wondered where all this new nonsense came from and now I believe I know. This craziness of the Social Gospel comes from the Communist handbook and is eagerly promoted by American Christians who claim to be doing the Lord's work with an unfortunate clouded view of the Gospel itself. What is real troublesome is many very well known and deeply educated men whom I consider brethren are involved in this effort to Christianize the Social Gospel movement.

Besides the Social Gospel movement there are many who also are pushing to get revival started in America (as the Third Great Awakening) and yet if we only read the Word of God, we'll discover that first, revivals are for Saints but more importantly, it isn't likely to happen because the world (people) are moving away from having anything to do with God. The World is blind to the Light of this world. It is the reason why the Gospel message must be proclaimed in full with nothing left out. Even when preachers proclaim to their flock the message weekly, they do so with the intent of rebuking, reproving, and edifying. Unless an unbeliever hears the message preached, unless they are pricked in their heart, unless God gives them a heart of stone to receive, they will NEVER believe. People are evil, corrupt, and look for more ways to be evil and do evil. Even the very words of Christ are, "the way is straight and narrow, FEW find it..." The way to hell is of course opposite "wide, and broad MANY enter through its gate".

It's about time we stop fooling around with nonsense and get back to Preaching the Word of the Living God. Time is short and tomorrow we are not guaranteed.

Yes

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 12:27 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Here, I created a post about this thread in the Faithlife Christian Debate group:

https://faithlife.com/posts/1790151

We can move along from this thread.

The conversation is now going at that location folks, grab your pitchforks and come on over. Smile

Posts 27687
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 9 2019 3:11 PM

James McAdams:

Please can this post be deleted? The poster has recognised and apologised for his breach once it was pointed out. There’s no need for it to remain now.

It likely won’t, unless the original poster requests it to be. It may, however, get locked by FL

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1842
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2019 7:33 AM

Christopher Bucklin:
if it's somehow against the rules to remind people to be faithful to the Gospel

But whose definition of "the Gospel"? Just last week I learned of a new label "ASJE - anti-social justice evangelical". But other (IMHO) evangelicals believe the Gospel involves recapitulating ALL of the effects of Sin and the Fall (including hostility between humans), While some evangelicals believe that the "Gospel Message" is primarily focuses on the horizontal relationship between God and individual humans, separate from Social Justice.

In (what I believe is the first mention of a Logos Product in this thread) logosres:themelios39-2;ref=Page.p_215 D.A. Carson does a noble task in asking readers to clarify in his or her own mind what "Gospel" means. 

IMHO this thread is dividing users into two camps based upon varying definitions of "Gospel Message", That is why it has been reported (and apologized for) and should be locked (not deleted).

Thank you J. Remington Bowling for providing another place for the discussion to continue!

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2019 9:58 AM

Babylon is winning folks- as predicted in Scripture only to find out that sin destroys them- the Gospel is about God's reconciling us to Him- all else is distraction, and false.

D.A. Carson is wrong here- period.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2019 10:30 AM

Whyndell's just having his snowflake fun.

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 12 2019 8:16 AM

Denise:

Whyndell's just having his snowflake fun.

Not really- everyone has begun to post snip-its so why not mine? I recognize that the "guidelines" are just that- if they want then to be rules- then get a moderator, and ban people- but alas, that would cost customers.

As I see it they have a built in police force as is- several people do great jobs at shaming- so let them loose.

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 13 2019 11:11 PM

Whyndell Gizzard:
As I see it they have a built in police force as is- several people do great jobs at shaming- so let them loose

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

This thread had been a good example of how the forums should work. The OP was given the benefit of the doubt - the OP was unaware of the guidelines. The error was noted without animosity and the discussion moved to an appropriate platform.

Whyndell Gizzard:
Not really- everyone has begun to post snip-its so why not mine?

Because you posted after the discussion had moved to another location?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS