Receiving an account by Last Will

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9
DeWayne Whitaker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 16 2019 3:42 AM

So my professor passed away and willed his Logos account to me. Working with Logos to receive ownership.

My understanding is that he has around 13,000 resources. I own about half as much.

And I would think his notes are invaluable.

I'm on a Mac and I have heard that you can run two different accounts. I do not want to run either on virtual machines.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I thought about merging the two accounts, but I want to see the differences first. And I don't know if I would lose my notes, documents, etc. by merging.  Does anyone have experiences with this?

Posts 17792
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 4:35 AM

My 27" iMac has Logos 8 & Verbum 8 running at the same time with two different Faithlife accounts so library contents are quite different (one account has my purchased library while my other account has an order total of $ 0.00)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8798
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 5:35 AM

DeWayne Whitaker:
So my professor passed away and willed his Logos account to me. Working with Logos to receive ownership.

KS4J has provided the answer I think should work for you but I just wanted to take a moment to express that I'm sorry for the loss of your professor while at the same time I rejoice with you at the wonderful gift of his Logos library. We've often spoken about what happens to our Logos accounts after we die and this is a wonderful example of it practically working. I hope you enjoy it to the full and honor your professor by using it to continue to build the kingdom of God.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2169
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 11:35 AM

I don't know if someone's notes are transferred. I think all you get are the resources.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10420
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 12:36 PM

DeWayne Whitaker:

I think that, in order to access his notes, you would need to log in with his account name and password. Not sure how you would then get those notes into your account. Perhaps some super-tech like Dave or KS4J can solve that riddle.

Posts 17792
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 4:09 PM

DeWayne Whitaker:
So my professor passed away and willed his Logos account to me.

I'm sorry Crying for his passing while Thankful for his will Smile

DeWayne Whitaker:

Initial thought is keeping his notes in "his" library on your computer so can copy and paste as desired into your library.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9
DeWayne Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 8:56 PM

Thank you Bruce for your reply. I am so humbly honored. Amazing gift from the best Professor ever.

Blessings

Posts 9
DeWayne Whitaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 9:00 PM

Thank you to everyone that replied. Logos has transferred the resources and from my understanding the notes are provided through my professors login. In which case I will have to copy and paste to my local.

Posts 387
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 16 2019 11:21 PM

DeWayne Whitaker:

Thank you to everyone that replied. Logos has transferred the resources and from my understanding the notes are provided through my professors login. In which case I will have to copy and paste to my local.

Sorry for your lose, Friend.

One option is to send the notes to a .docx file and then turn it into a personal book. I'm not hugely experienced in this regard (others can say more), but I believe it is possible to make the book function as a study bible or commentary. This is the route I would go down. I assume you won't be adding anything to or editing your professor's notes so no need to keep them editable, it would save you switching accounts every time you want to view them, and you could prioritise it to show high in the commentaries list in tools like passage guide, etc.

One other option (perhaps in the short term) is to use your resources through the logos desktop app, and login into your professor's account through the logos web portal (https://app.logos.com to view his notes.

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 9812
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 5:30 AM

DeWayne Whitaker:

You could set up a group for your both logins, then share the notes with the group - much faster than copy and paste. And you'll be able to differentiate in your Logos installation between the professor's notes and your notes. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 939
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 5:47 AM

If the overlap is substantial you might sell the smaller account?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 387
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 17 2019 7:22 AM

NB.Mick:

You could set up a group for your both logins, then share the notes with the group - much faster than copy and paste. And you'll be able to differentiate in your Logos installation between the professor's notes and your notes. 

Yes! This is a great idea!

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS