mac user about to buy L4

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Jason Thomley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 8 2010 7:48 PM

I am about to purchase Logos 4, probably silver package. I have attended a Camp Logos and could not afford to buy at the time, but wanted to be trained on the power of the software even before i purchased. I have a macbook, 2.4 ghz core duo with 2mb memory on the front side. Would it be helpful/necessary to upgrade to 4mb memory on the frontside memory? I have 256GB hard drive with about 183 GB available space. That should be sufficient, but is the RAM memory upgrade necessary or preferred to operate Logos 4 in any way?

Posts 102
Andrew Mercer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:42 PM

G'day Jason, IMHO, you can never have enough RAM. My MacBook Pro has 4GB and Logos 4 Mac works really well, even in Alpha stage. So, if it was me, I would upgrade to 4GB and that will be great for your needs

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 8:44 PM

Amount of RAM depends on desired program(s) simultaneously open.  Apple's Activity Monitor utility can show memory usage on dock:

Page outs happen when open program(s) want more RAM than physically installed - corollaries: green free slice is small or non-existent; spinning beach ball displayed when paging in progress.

Idea: try using Macbook with Logos 4 and other program(s) with Activity Monitor running.  If Page outs stays 0 bytes, no need for more RAM.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 8 2010 11:44 PM

Yes definitely upgrade your RAM.  You can buy inexpensive ram at www.newegg.com.  Just check the apple site for what ram is compatible with your machine.  With 4 gigs you can even run Win7 & on your macbook with Fusion...get the best of both worlds...

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:42 AM

Hi Jason,

Logos 4 is a great program and I would recommend it.

However you should know that not all resources have yet been fully prepared for Logos 4 and in order to avoid any disappointment it would be worth speaking to Customer Services and finding out what proportion of the package you propose to purchase is yet to be fully tagged.

You should also take this precaution when purchasing new resources as, again, some will be missing the ability to be recognised by the likes of Biblical Places/People/Things. Unfortunately Logos are not very transparent about these limitations on their web adverts.

Tootle pip

Mike

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:39 PM

Jason Thomley:
I have 256GB hard drive with about 183 GB available space. That should be sufficient, but is the RAM memory upgrade necessary or preferred to operate Logos 4 in any way?

256 GB HDD with 183 GB available is sufficient space, but you might consider upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD if your current drive is 5400 RPM.  I just ugraded to a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD from a 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD and have seen a significant increase in performance.  The drive was super easy to install (I watched a youtube video that gave the step by step process) , and cost $75.    You can check out OWC at www.macsales.com for available macbook drives.  As suggested by others, more RAM will also be beneficial.  If you can afford the upgrades, they are worthwhile investments.  

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:19 PM

Si Cochran:

Jason Thomley:
I have 256GB hard drive with about 183 GB available space. That should be sufficient, but is the RAM memory upgrade necessary or preferred to operate Logos 4 in any way?

256 GB HDD with 183 GB available is sufficient space, but you might consider upgrading to a 7200 RPM HDD if your current drive is 5400 RPM.  I just ugraded to a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD from a 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD and have seen a significant increase in performance.  The drive was super easy to install (I watched a youtube video that gave the step by step process) , and cost $75.    You can check out OWC at www.macsales.com for available macbook drives.  As suggested by others, more RAM will also be beneficial.  If you can afford the upgrades, they are worthwhile investments.  

Where did you buy a 500 GB 7200 HD for $75???

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:39 PM

David Hilty:

Si Cochran:

Jason Thomley:

Here's a Seagate one for $68.36

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 7:58 PM

David Hilty:

Si Cochran:

Jason Thomley:

I just upgraded mine and got an external enclosure for the old hard drive $109.99 from OWC (macsales.com). They also have videos that show you how to do the upgrade. The way they suggested was to put the new hard drive in the external drive and install OSX on it them once you have it up and running swaooing out the hard drives. it worked great.Hmm

Posts 79
David Hilty | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:55 PM

Stephen, thanks.  Did you buy the Seagate or the Hitachi?  I've read about some problems with the Seagate 500 MB 7200RPM drives in the past.

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:25 AM

David Hilty:

I purchased my drive from www.newegg.com.  It was on sale a few weeks ago for $75 with free shipping.  I went with the Seagate drive, because it was cheaper than the Hitachi and ranks just as well or better.  OWC recommends both drives.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS