Suggestion that Faithlife do something

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 22 2019 6:04 AM

Suggestion that Faithlife do something

The advantage of posting to the Suggestion section of the forum is that it is monitored [or so we have been told]

Took a quick look at the different denominational forums: found little activity in most.

What is Faithlife doing to increase activity on these forums? That is how do you plan to increase sales to these groups?

[[We don’t expect you to tell but how many libraries did you sell to each denominational forum group? But my guess would be that the sales are somewhat proportional to the number of posts in each group. That is in most groups sales were few.]]

Anglican Products Last post Apr 23 2019
Baptist Products Yesterday May 21 2019 but replying to a thread started Jan 27 2016
Catholic Products Active – Very active - many current posts
Jewish Products Last post Jan 5 2019 with no replies
Lutheran Products Last post May 9 2019 and some other activity seen
Methodist & Wesleyan Products Last post Apr 10 2019
Orthodox Products Last post May 20 2019 with some activity
Pentecostal & Charismatic Products Last post Mar 18 2019 and some other activity seen
Reformed Products Last post May 18 2019 with limited activity
Seventh-day Adventist Products Last post Mar 29 2019

My guess is that the problem maybe a chicken and egg problem. As I said elsewhere:

Every book sold by Faithlife except perhaps for the first set to attract a new to group to the Faithlife family needs to go through the Community Pricing or the Pre Pub process. Community Pricing is for books prior to about 1920, that is out of copyright. Pre Pub is for all the rest. When a book is listed on Pre Pub a price is set by Faithlife and the Publisher. When enough current customers agree to buy the book to pay for the development for the book it goes into production. With Community Pricing there is no current Publisher so the current customers bid what they would pay for the book. And again it goes into production when enough have said that they would pay enough to fund the cost of production.

That system works for Faithlife as it keep Faithlife in business. This guarantees that they have enough customers to pay for the production. For many books aimed at Protestant and Roman Catholic there are enough current customers interested to pay for the book.

But if the book interests only a small section of the current customers then it does not pass the Community Pricing or the Pre Pub test. And in some cases the lack of that very book is why there are so few current customers that want books of that kind.

Please stay in business!! [[Even if that means that you seem to ignore those of us in your fringe market.]]

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 22 2019 6:12 AM

David Ames:
Every book sold by Faithlife except perhaps for the first set to attract a new to group to the Faithlife family needs to go through the Community Pricing or the Pre Pub process.

Faithlife are already doing what you're asking for. In other words, many books are placed on pre-pub already at the Under Development stage. If you look at Pre-Pubs sorted by "Newest", you'll see about half of the last 15 books on pre-pub meet that criteria.

https://www.logos.com/products/search?Language=English&Status=Pre-Pub

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 9:44 AM

David Ames:
Took a quick look at the different denominational forums: found little activity in most.

There are two reasons for the data that aren't taken into account by your post (though you may be aware of them) that I want to point out:

1. A fair number (most?) of the discussions of authors and books that 'belong' in the denominational forums end up being started in General, Suggestions, and elsewhere. I don't remember any such threads being moved to their proper forums... it may have happened years ago.

2. Some of the threads in the Catholic Products forum actually belong, arguably, to the Logos 8 forum, but they don't end up there because these threads are questions about software functioning and features in Verbum. Thus far, this confusion hasn't really seemed to cause any significant problems.

I'll also note that a number of the least active denominational products forums owe their activity disproportionately to a few Catholics with ecumenical/inter-religious interests; activity from the theoretical principal target markets of those forums' related products is even lower than it looks.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 23 2019 10:24 AM

Agree with Mark and SineNomine.

But in theory, FL must have thought the blogs and sub-forums were meant to have value. Sort of like building ghost-towns.  And FL is good at no follow-thru.

I've argued through the years, denominational emphasis would help Logos, far more than Accordance or the older BW, which aim at a generic text.  I don't think, outside the pastor career, that it's imminently obvious how to link ones Sunday worship to Logos on Mondays, within common churches ... Baptist, Pentecostal, Disciples, etc.  The improvements in Verbum have been gratifying (within this type of goal).

My guess is simply expertise, and workload at FL. Priorities are tight. Journals, anyone?

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 24 2019 2:50 PM

SineNomine:

I'll also note that a number of the least active denominational products forums owe their activity disproportionately to a few Catholics with ecumenical/inter-religious interests; activity from the theoretical principal target markets of those forums' related products is even lower than it looks.

It is not just Catholics that have ecumenical/inter-religious interests. And yes, the ‘others’ that ‘drop by’ often outnumber the ‘members’.

Denise:

Agree with Mark and SineNomine.
I've argued through the years, denominational emphasis would help Logos
The improvements in Verbum have been gratifying (within this type of goal).

I agree with these points.

Faithlife’s business model keeps it in business [Thank you!] but it may be keeping it from expanding into other smaller denominational interests. If Faithlife has to choose it must choose to stay in business.

While Faithlife had dedicated managers for each denominational group resources were added for those groups. While they got some additional sales it appears that they did not get the bang for the buck expected. [Thank you Faithlife for the ‘other’ resources that you did publish. Some of us like to look outside the box we are in]

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS