Book Suggestion: Knox Bible

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2021 3:59 PM

Craig St. Clair,

Any update on Knox Bible and Divine Intimacy?

Anything we can do on the outside?

It might be hopeless to get a "macro" to give us the readings in English for the date in Divine Intimacy which uses the Latin Tridentine Mass and calendar.

Both books are enormously useful, Msgr. Knox's translation has to be the best modern translation in my opinion.  We can only wonder what it would have been like had Msgr. Knox been able to work directly from the ancient texts without using the Vulgate as the primary text to translate. Msgr. Knox's use of the English language is stunningly beautiful.

Best wishes,

David

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 6 2021 4:08 PM

My immediate problem is that Last Pass recognizes the site as a faithlife site and not a feedbear site.

I have to manually log into feedback.feedbear.com and then go to feedback.faithlife.com and I will be logged in.

Faithlife should have kept the address as feedback.feedbear.com or at least redirect feedback.faithlife.com to that address so people can log in with their feedbear account.

Best wishes,

David

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 11 2021 5:35 PM

We would love to bring the Knox Bible to Verbum. I wish we could do it tomorrow. However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

In the meantime, this remains the only work by Fr. Knox available: https://verbum.com/product/175786/the-creed-in-slow-motion 

Posts 1004
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:02 AM

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

I take it this is why some of the highly regarded works (like Merton’s “Seven Storey Mountain“) remain unavailable?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2021 8:35 PM

Don,

Is there anything we outsiders can do?  I own both their books in print, are they worried that they won't get paper book sales?  I have both books and I would still buy both books because it's a different type of reading that I do with Logos/Verbum.

I'm more much more apt to read for pleasure or reflective meditation with a bound paper book than use Verbum, but when I start studying the passage in context with use of the ancient manuscripts, it is much easier to use Verbum.  I no longer have some of my Greek, Hebrew and Latin texts, I've sold them because I have them in Verbum now.  

I have NOT sold my NABRE, NRSV2-CE and NJB hand cover bibles even though I have them all in Verbum, I continue to read those for a different purpose.

I probably wouldn't even want Divine Intimacy in Verbum unless I had a Latin-English translation of the 1962 Missal, but I have that in Verbum - not directly but indirectly by using the Roman Latin Missal then by reading the readings in Latin then going to the D-R which is a translation of the Vulgate Latin from which the 1962 readings come.  But it's possible.  It should be possible to find "Today's Readings" in the Lectionary, then search for them in the HOPED FOR Divine Intimacy digital Verbum version and read the Teresian Lectio Divina type meditation and reflection of the same passages in Divine Intimacy.  Such a cross reference is missing from Baronius' edition, and is badly needed for modern English language worshipers of the Novo Ordo.

If it's a matter of money or royalties, offer them twice as much but remind them if they charge you too much, sales will drop because if the price goes to $100 per book, I'll just keep with my current printed copies of their books thank you very much.

Thank you,

David J. Ring, Jr.

Posts 293
LogosEmployee
Donald Antenen (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 15 2021 4:58 PM

David Wanat:

Donald Antenen (Faithlife):

However, before we can move forward we have to reach an agreement with the current rights holder. If there is ever any news on that front, we'll post here.

I take it this is why some of the highly regarded works (like Merton’s “Seven Storey Mountain“) remain unavailable?

Whenever there's an obvious title that we don't have, it's usually a matter of the rights holder not granting rights for its being produced and sold for Verbum or Logos. But we keep trying!

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS