L3 used to have a great conversion utitlity (talents to dollars... that kind of thing...)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 545
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:56 AM

... does L4 have that anywhere?

Thanks!

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:06 AM

I haven't found a tool, but you can get the values in Biblical Things

Posts 545
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 5:14 AM

That'll do it, thanks!

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:18 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Kevin, I had to resort to Google the other day because I forgot the information was in biblical things. 

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:30 PM

Kevin Becker:

I haven't found a tool, but you can get the values in Biblical Things

I'm assuming that data is static?  The way the price of gold has risen over the last few years, that conversion could be severely outdated rather quickly.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 3:25 AM

Ron Keyston Jr:
I'm assuming that data is static?  The way the price of gold has risen over the last few years, that conversion could be severely outdated rather quickly.

I think it's static. Otherwise Logos would need to communicate with stock market servers to find out the price of gold at the moment you open Biblical Things.

The price of gold does fluctuate a lot but that's due to forces that weren't present in the Biblical world. I would want a conversion based on purchasing power rather than the price of gold as a hedge against fiscal uncertainty.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 7:52 PM

Kevin Becker:
I would want a conversion based on purchasing power rather than the price of gold as a hedge against fiscal uncertainty.

Thanks for the reply Kevin.  Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, I'm afraid the above sentence confuses me.  The purchasing price of gold fluctuates right along with the price of gold for the same reasons.  If the gold price is $1,000/oz, then 1oz can buy $1,000 worth of goods...if it is $1,200/oz, then 1oz can buy $1,200 worth of goods.

I certainly don't expect Logos to check the commodity market before doing the conversion, but it would be nice if it said something along the lines of "1 gold talent = $71,250 USD (based on a gold price of $1,000/oz)" or whatever.  That way we know what they are basing the conversion off of.  As it stands, we can't even figure it out by reversing the equation since we don't know if the "conversion" is using 58lb, 75lb, or something in between for the calculation.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:17 AM

Ron Keyston Jr:
I certainly don't expect Logos to check the commodity market before doing the conversion, but it would be nice if it said something along the lines of "1 gold talent = $71,250 USD (based on a gold price of $1,000/oz)" or whatever.  That way we know what they are basing the conversion off of.  As it stands, we can't even figure it out by reversing the equation since we don't know if the "conversion" is using 58lb, 75lb, or something in between for the calculation.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Gold probably didn't fluctuate in value in the ancient world like the stock market price for Gold today. Gold could shoot to $2000 USD tomorrow and I wouldn't necessarily learn anything new about the Biblical World by adjusting to that price in my calculations. Today Gold's price is a place were uncertainty gets expressed. The more uncertain an investor, the more worried about the future the higher the price of gold is because more people are buying it.

All I was saying that is if we were to follow the stock too strictly we might end up over-estimating the purchasing power of a Gold talent in the ancient world.

It would be interesting to know what precise weight (in that range) they used for the talent and the price of Gold  used for the calculation.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 9:26 PM

Kevin Becker:

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Gold probably didn't fluctuate in value in the ancient world like the stock market price for Gold today. Gold could shoot to $2000 USD tomorrow and I wouldn't necessarily learn anything new about the Biblical World by adjusting to that price in my calculations. Today Gold's price is a place were uncertainty gets expressed. The more uncertain an investor, the more worried about the future the higher the price of gold is because more people are buying it.

All I was saying that is if we were to follow the stock too strictly we might end up over-estimating the purchasing power of a Gold talent in the ancient world.

I understand what you are saying now...thanks for clarifying Smile

Kevin Becker:
It would be interesting to know what precise weight (in that range) they used for the talent and the price of Gold  used for the calculation.

Indeed, that was my main point is that I think it would be nice to know what numbers they used in the calculation.  Obviously, if we had either one of the two, we could figure the other.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS