Exegetical Summary Commentary Series

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 20
Diederick Putter | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 28 2019 10:12 AM

I have noticed that one of the linking resources BAGD (not BDAG) has been discontinued which this series uses extensively. 

One pays a premium on the price for the reference links just to be told that the linking resources have been discontinued.

I would not recommend this series to anyone, it is either totally outdated or not been updated.

logos wants me to try and buy the discontinued resource fron another user, can you believe it?

I have lost faith in logos to purchase any further resources.

https://www.logos.com/product/166739/exegetical-summaries-series

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 10:49 AM

While understanding your disappointment, if you purchased the hard copy of these resources you would need to find a used copy of BAGD to look up the reference because.... it is discontinued. FL cannot offer a resource that is no longer available by the publisher. FL also cannot change the reference in the Guides due to copyrights. FL could and probably should offer a redirect, if available to BDAG. I recall some discussions on doing this, but am not sure the conclusion. The solution is not as simple and FL responsibility not nearly as clear cut as your post indicates. However, I do understand why you are frustrated regarding this resource and the links to BAGD.

Here is a link that may be helpful. Note Rick's possible workaround.

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/148333.aspx

Posts 13212
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 12:06 PM

BAGD has not been available in Logos since BDAG came out in 2000. You almost certainly won't be able to get a copy. There have been many requests to make it available again, but it hasn't happened – Logos can't get the rights. I think it's likely the the publisher can't offer the rights because of its contract with the authors of the third edition.

That said, Logos cannot control which lexicons other resources cite. Most of the summaries cite the second edition (BAGD) rather than the third edition (BDAG). That's a matter for the original publishers. Personally, I find the series incredibly valuable.

Rick's workaround is pretty useful too, as John says: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/148333/921823.aspx#921823 

Posts 3098
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 12:10 PM

John- I did just that- had to find a used BAGD resource- this is one reason why I will not buy Logos resources that rely on it- one reason I have not bought any updates to the mentioned resource. 

This is why certain resources I own in hardcopy I make my own PBB's- becoming very disappointed in the way FL does business.

Posts 20
Diederick Putter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 2:08 PM

Hi John, thank you for your input. My concern still remains that we pay a premium for the automatic references that is now not available anymore. Secondly when looking at the previous discussion group, the reason for discontinuing BAGD was not actually the supplier but Faithlife themselves.

Posts 2200
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 2:55 PM

FWIW, the Exegetical Guide puts the latest Bauer at a user's fingertips. As much as I love all of the links in my texts, it's not quite perfectly there simply do to typos much less publisher issues.

Besides, wouldn't you want to double check usage against the latest edition? This is leverage in the form of annoyance.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 144
Josiah | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 28 2019 8:28 PM

I really love this series actually.  The common questions are the best.  I usually skip the lexicon type stuff personally.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS