Personal Books > Table of Contents > Can I Create Alternate Text within TOC?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Scott Shirley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 5 2019 8:52 PM

I have been keeping up with all the verses posted by Lockman on Facebook for the NASB 2020 Update and compiling them in a Personal Book. I am trying to copy the same format as presented in the NASB 95.

My Problem: I cannot get my Table of Contents to read "1 Corinthians" rather than just "CORINTHIANS" or the entire heading "The First letter of Paul to the CORINTHIANS." I use "Heading 1" for "CORINTHIANS" and another heading I created called "Non TOC Header" for "The First Letter of Paul to the" in the line above it.

Is there some sort of trick that I don't know about? 

Posts 4
Scott Shirley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 5 2019 8:56 PM

The issue is applicable for other books of the Bible as well.

• Psalms
  • Proverbs
  • 1 and 2 Thessalonians
  • 1 and 2 Timothy

Furthermore, I would rather not use all caps for my TOC, even though each book of the Bible is formatted in all caps within the main text.

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 1:04 AM

Scott Shirley:
My Problem: I cannot get my Table of Contents to read "1 Corinthians" rather than just "CORINTHIANS" or the entire heading "The First letter of Paul to the CORINTHIANS." I use "Heading 1" for "CORINTHIANS" and another heading I created called "Non TOC Header" for "The First Letter of Paul to the" in the line above it.

The Heading 1 has to be "1 CORINTHIANS" i.e what you see is what you get in the TOC.

Or you could make "The First Letter of Paul to the Corinthians" a Heading 1 (on the same line).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 208
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 6 2019 3:41 AM

You could create a new H1 Style that matches the background colour

1. Copy and Paste the word CORINTHIANS to just below it.
  2. Right click the newly pasted CORINTHIANS then choose 'Styles' --> 'Create a Style'. Name the New Style 'Hidden H1'
  3. From the Style bar at the top, right click 'Hidden H1" and choose Modify
  4. Change the Font colour to match the background

Now you can rename the newly created CORINTHIANS to 1 Corinthians, and remove the H1 Style from the original CORINTHIANS, by creating a new style again to match the formatting, but with an Outline level of  'Body Text'. (Right click the style, choose 'Format->Paragraph->Outline Level'

This way the ToC will show 1 Corinthians, but the content will not.

One caveat, if you use a non white background in Logos, you maybe able to see the Hidden H1 style, if so you can change the colour to match, or set the Hidden H1 style to Font Size of 1 which will help to hide it. (Setting it hidden removes it from the ToC)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS