What does "study" in the selection menu do?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 21700
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 7 2019 3:28 AM

When clicking "study" for "Word" in John 1:1, a Factbook entry for Jesus is opened.

If I go down a bit to "light", the study option opens up a BWS on the lemma.

How is this action determined?

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 3:52 AM

It looks like person tagging gets precedence over lemma tagging. That makes sense to me — for just about any name other than this one!

Posts 1933
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 8:57 AM

Is your "Prefer Lemma Search" setting set to "Yes"? I believe it was Andrew who said that this setting affects both the Study and Search buttons (and maybe Lookup(?)).

Posts 342
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 3:52 PM

Currently, the Study command performs the first available action in this order: 

• Open Factbook when any Bible Knowledge entity (Person, Place, Thing) is present
  • Open Bible Word Study (for a single word) in Bible text. (This respects the "Prefer Lemmas" setting when applicable; but there is a known issue that the lemma is passed with incorrect characters.) 
  • Opens Everything search otherwise

However, we have found with internal use that this can be an inconsistent and confusing experience. It's not at all apparent when a BK reference is present, especially since they are frequently aligned with subjectless verbs. It's really hard to guess when selecting a word will open BWS, and when it will open Factbook. 

Proposed changes to Study

Ignore BK references/ remove Factbook as a destination.
Instead, "Study" means "open the appropriate guide." 

The new order of precedence would be: 

• Open Bible Word Study, for a single word that occurs in the Bible, regardless of context; that is, even in non-Bibles, resolve in BWS if possible. Still respects Prefer Lemmas setting when applicable.
  • Open Topic Guide for non-bible words and short phrases (e.g., "Kingdom of God," "Holy Spirit") when a matching LCV concept is found.
  • Fall back to Everything search in other cases

Study on long selections would be essentially the same as it is now: 

• Open Passage Guide on the current reference for long selections in a Bible. (This is the same as the current PG icon behavior; we would just rename this to "Study" for consistency.)
  • Omit from long selections in non-Bibles 

I would welcome your feedback on these proposed changes. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 7 2019 6:06 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
I would welcome your feedback on these proposed changes. 

I actually prefer having the Factbook having precedence, especially since it covers some non-Bible resources and can be manually added via a community-tag when needed (think use of Logos within a teaching context).

I understand why BWS and Topic need to be the next option although they are rarely what I would actually want. I personally would like to see the Information Panel which is much more in keeping with the Show Information on the current Context Menu.

The fall back to an Everything Search makes sense.

What I would like to see is a settable option: technical/non-technical where the technical/professional track would show:

• BWS
  • Topic Guide
  • Everything search

and the non-technical/laity option would show:

• Factbook
  • Information
  • Everything search

This would keep you moving towards providing a "simple" version of Logos.

For the long passage, I'd like to see you build further on your milestone reference framework.

• Passage Guide for Bible passages
  • Search for references to for non-Biblical datatype passages
  • nothing for non-Biblical passages without datatype/milestone data

For an example of where this would be useful, think of a Lutheran selecting a passage in the Book of Concord being able to see all references to that passage.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21700
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2019 1:08 AM

Currently, the Study command performs the first available action in this order: 

• Open Factbook when any Bible Knowledge entity (Person, Place, Thing) is present
  • Open Bible Word Study (for a single word) in Bible text. (This respects the "Prefer Lemmas" setting when applicable; but there is a known issue that the lemma is passed with incorrect characters.) 
  • Opens Everything search otherwise

Thanks again, Adam, for the insight.

However, we have found with internal use that this can be an inconsistent and confusing experience. It's not at all apparent when a BK reference is present, especially since they are frequently aligned with subjectless verbs. It's really hard to guess when selecting a word will open BWS, and when it will open Factbook

YesSmile

Proposed changes to Study

The new order of precedence would be: 

• Open Bible Word Study, for a single word that occurs in the Bible, regardless of context; that is, even in non-Bibles, resolve in BWS if possible. Still respects Prefer Lemmas setting when applicable.
  • Open Topic Guide for non-bible words and short phrases (e.g., "Kingdom of God," "Holy Spirit") when a matching LCV concept is found.
  • Fall back to Everything search in other cases

I tihnk that makes sense with the possible exception of dropping the Factbook destination - there are times when that would be sensible. 

Is it possible to make a determination based on surface text - so if there is a single word that a user would reasonably expect to find referenced in Factbook, that becomes the default destination?

Posts 1933
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2019 8:29 AM

For my own workflow that would be great, but with what you said about discoverability being important, I'm not sure that dropping Factbook entirely is what you want to do... I rarely use FB (probably I should do so more), but I think it's an important tool to raise awareness on (and perhaps push me towards?).

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS