What are your go-to resources in Logos?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 322
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2019 1:10 PM

Their is a lot of books referenced here but I would like to mention I enjoy my clippings.  I heard that logos wants to do away with them, please don't.

Posts 233
John C Connell Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2019 1:32 PM

Bibles: ESV, NIV, NASB

Commentaries: BKC, ECB, NIVAC, Tyndale Commentaries

Dictionaries: AYBD, TBD

Be strong and courageous. . . for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.

Posts 1799
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 8 2019 10:17 PM

According to the "Most Used" sort, these are my top 10. I question the validity of this sort because I don't recall ever accessing the Zondervan NIV Study Bible. The rest of the top 10 are likely to be accurate.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 6:15 AM

David Thomas:
I question the validity of this sort because I don't recall ever accessing the Zondervan NIV Study Bible.

If it's that high in your most used, there's a probability that it is / was part of a layout you use (probably with another resource in front of the tab), so you opened it many times without looking at it.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1
John S. Atkinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 9 2019 12:39 PM

Base on the library most used, my top 10:

NASB
NKJV
Greek New Testament: SBL Edition
NIV
ESV
CSB
Holman Bible handbook
KJV
Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed text
New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

I have not accessed the Holman Bible Handbook recently, so it must be in a layout I use or had used. The rest are accurate.

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 10 2019 8:45 AM

Using the "Most Used" category my top 10 are all Bible too including the ESV, NA28 and the Lexham Hebrew Bible.

But I'm not sure that is the best way to measure things as I think the "Most Used" tool tries to measure which books are open in your library when you are using it.

Can anyone confirm just how the "Most Used" category tool works in Logos?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 552
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 6:31 AM

Hi Matthew:

More than particular resources (many good ones mentioned already by other posters), I love about L8 the ability to search for concepts, and get a myriad of different angles due to the large selection of very varied resources available.

Very easily one can see all the different sub angles within a particular concept, and then one can look closely at the relevant ones at the time. It is a very effective way of getting acquainted with the underlying key thrusts, and issues on any given topic.

At times, I find that particular denominations have a vast developed body of knowledge about particular topics.  So I do try to have a well rounded library, as each particular tradition / group would have different go to resources that would be considered key.

As far as Bibles: BTX, ESV, LEB, and for comparison MEV.  I am beginning to explore the use of Bible in other languages, to mine that particular language library.

Just as different groups focus on different angles, sometimes different languages do the same. They develop certain topics more than other regions, and is probably due to their contextual situation.

So comparing elements from different views, gives me a better rounded grasp of the implications of different topics. I can then check my own assumptions, presuppositions, previous understandings, and adjust them accordingly thanks to the enlarged conceptual framework.

The amount of resources available in L8 is unsurpassed, and to me is one of the strengths of the system.

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 10:39 AM

Based on Most Used and excluding those that were one-time readthroughs a while ago (Calvin's Institutes, etc) my list is as follows: 

• NIV 2011
  • NA28
  • Beale & Carson Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old
  • BDAG/HALOT
  • NICOT/NICNT
  • IVP black dictionaries 
  • ISBE (full version)
  • Zondervan & IVP background commentaries
  • Anchor Bible Dictionary
  • NRSV
  • NLT  (Old Testament Reading Plan this year)
  • BHS

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS