The Latest Beta Download has Corrupted My Logos 4

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:34 PM | Locked

When I start Logos 4 after installing today's update it ignores my original install and wants to download 11.9 GB of resources to a new directory structure.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 2:51 PM | Locked

Were you under a different Windows user account at the time, or signed into Logos 4 under a different account?  Had you removed any folders before the update? 

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:14 PM | Locked

Hi Melissa

I was on my normal user account and was signed in using my normal Logos account I was prompted to restart after the update downloaded and Logos 4 displayed a screen that said it was downloading 11.9 GB!

God Bless

Graham

Posts 285
David Gullick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:19 PM | Locked

same here

Logos Platinum

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Lenovo laptop E520 i7-2640M, 2.8GHz 8G Ram, 2G Graphics

Australia

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 3:39 PM | Locked

Melissa

My install location is c:\users\public\logos4

The update is writing to c:\users\graham owen\app data\local\logos4

It seems to have corrupted my customer install location and created a new default

God Bless

Graham

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 4:00 PM | Locked

Graham Owen:

Melissa

My install location is c:\users\public\logos4

The update is writing to c:\users\graham owen\app data\local\logos4

It seems to have corrupted my customer install location and created a new default

I'll let development know, thanks. 

Graham -- Devs will want to see your setup logs. Can you attach those here?  If you don't have logging enabled, they may be in your Temp folder.

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 6:40 PM | Locked

0407.Logos4Beta3Setup.zip

This has messed up my custom install as well - new structure at standard C:\Users\{Dave}\AppData\Local\Logos4 instead of  D:\Beta\Logos4.

It wanted to me to sign-in & then was going to download 7.77 GB which I cancelled. It started indexing but with less than half my actual resources in the new structure.

I had closed L4 before the installation at approx. 0710, gone out and found the Sign-In at approx 1045.

Logging was reset in the Registry so there is no log for the Indexing that took place after 1045 (not in Temp either).

I think I know how to get out of this, but we obviously need to know that the Setup program has been fixed.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 3:24 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

I think I know how to get out of this, but we obviously need to know that the Setup program has been fixed.

The effect of the installation seems to be restricted to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logos4, where the "InstallDirectory" value was removed in addition to resetting the Logging sub-key and removing the other sub-keys. The Logos4 shortcut was unaffected, the custom System folder was updated to Beta 3 but the lack of a value for the installation directory causes L4 to look in the default user location! Net result  - it tried to re-download resources and index them.

I re-created the correct "InstallDirectory" value in the Registry and Beta 3 seems to be running OK with all my resources!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Anonymous | | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:18 AM | Locked

Glad I saw this before I let beta3 install since I have mine installed in d:\logos4.  Now I'll just have to not forget and accidently click on the install button since it's downloaded and ready to install.  I trust this will be fixed in beta4.

What will happen when beta4 comes out?  Will it download that, overwriting the beta3 that I have downloaded but not installed?  Or do I need to clear out a cache or something?

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:54 AM | Locked

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
Now I'll just have to not forget and accidently click on the install button since it's downloaded and ready to install. 

You can delete it from \UpdateManager\Installers in d:\logos4.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 7:05 AM | Locked

Dave ~ Thanks for the logs and for providing a way to 'undo' the change.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 8:26 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
Logging was reset in the Registry so there is no log for the Indexing that took place after 1045 (not in Temp either).

This is unfortunate since it affects everyone, not just those who had a custom install directory (I wasn't affected by the install path problem, but my logging had stopped).  Everyone in the beta will need to be told to re-enable logging (unless the next beta re-enables it automatically).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 10596
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 11:51 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
veryone in the beta will need to be told to re-enable logging

Thanks for the heads up, Todd. I have now re-enabled logging.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:32 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
The effect of the installation seems to be restricted to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logos4, where the "InstallDirectory" value was removed in addition to resetting the Logging sub-key and removing the other sub-keys

I wish that I had seen this before I started trying to reinstall Logos 4... My efforts so far have failed with Logos continuing to insist that it download my resources no matter what I do...

I think my days with Beta Vwrsiosn are over, at least for now.

Compared to a Version 3 reinstall this is a nightmare!

God Bless

Graham

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:18 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

The effect of the installation seems to be restricted to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logos4, where the "InstallDirectory" value was removed in addition to resetting the Logging sub-key and removing the other sub-keys.

Grumble. What other sub-keys were there that we've lost?

I will send out an all-points alert (or at least all points who read the forums regularly) that people who have upgraded to Beta 3 need to re-enable logging.

Posts 150
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 6:56 PM | Locked

Do you have what keys to put in place? I go to the registry and only see:

under Logos4 and Logging:

default REG_SZ (value not set)

If I change Logos4 to E:\Logos4\

it still wants to download so I do not think it is seeing the install directory correctly.

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 10 2010 9:55 PM | Locked

DustinPearson:

If I change Logos4 to E:\Logos4\

it still wants to download so I do not think it is seeing the install directory correctly.

I hope you can undo what you have done! Logos4 is the key name that refers to the product and must not be changed. Earlier in this thread I referred to a Value name for the Installation Directory that had been deleted and this needs to be restored.

Copy the 4 lines between  the ++++++ lines into a new text file, change the folder name using \\ separator (NOT single \) and save it as L4DirFix.reg. Double click the file to update your registry.

Please NOTE: you do this entirely at your own risk!

;++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logos4]
"InstallDirectory"="E:\\Logos4"

;++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 150
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:23 AM | Locked

after I thought about it I took out what I did an created another sub key and was able to get Logos to start up without wanting to do an install.

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 5:54 AM | Locked

DustinPearson:

after I thought about it I took out what I did an created another sub key and was able to get Logos to start up without wanting to do an install.

Please share what you did.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 150
Dustin Pearson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 11 2010 1:50 PM | Locked

I deleted the original E:\Logos4\ from:

Default    REG_SZ

Created another key by right clicking and selecting "new" "String Value" named it "InstallDirectory" and gave it the value of "E:\Logos4\"

So far so good it seems. Recognized my saved log in, settings and resources installed on the PC. The resource folder has 2,444 files but Logos Library only reports 2,309 resources is this correct?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS