Beta 3: Double-click and Triple-click Settings

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:23 PM

There is an interaction between Double-click/Triple-click Action and Show Selection Menu:

• If either click Action is set to Lookup, and Show Selection Menu = YES, the Menu shows briefly when a word is clicked (2x or 3x). This slows the Lookup when compared with Show Selection Menu = NO.
  • This also applies if the Action is Search, Search Inline i.e. no issue for Select Word
  • When Show Selection Menu = YES, clicking for Select Paragraph briefly shows the Menu & the Action, and then performs the Double-click action e.g. Lookup, Search

Overall, a Triple-click Action is less certain to work on my Laptop.

The arrangement of the new settings could be improved, particularly as they are not strictly about Text Display:

1. Text Selection could be first.
  2. Triple-Click could be removed and Select Paragraph could be a Double-Click action.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:25 PM

This will be fixed in 8.6 Beta 4.

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:27 PM

What will be fixed, Philana?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2066
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:

What will be fixed, Philana?

All of these:

Dave Hooton:

• If either click Action is set to Lookup, and Show Selection Menu = YES, the Menu shows briefly when a word is clicked (2x or 3x). This slows the Lookup when compared with Show Selection Menu = NO.
  • This also applies if the Action is Search, Search Inline i.e. no issue for Select Word
  • When Show Selection Menu = YES, clicking for Select Paragraph briefly shows the Menu & the Action, and then performs the Double-click action e.g. Lookup, Search

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2019 3:38 PM

Thanks, Andrew

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 25 2019 6:09 PM

Logos 8.6 Beta 4 Release Notes:

Resource Text Selection Menu

• Fixed a bug that caused the selection menu to appear when using the Double-Click and Triple-Click Actions. The selection will only appear when the Double-Click Action is set to “Single word” and when the Triple-Click Action is set to “Single paragraph”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Double-Click and Triple-Click Actions to not execute the correct search.

The first bug appears to be fixed.

The second bug is confusing i.e. "correct search".

I still have great difficulty performing a Triple-click action (Double-click is OK), and the mouse is worse than the touchpad. Invariably, the Double-click action is performed instead, despite the fact that it is obviously delayed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2019 9:49 AM

Dave Hooton:

Logos 8.6 Beta 4 Release Notes:

Resource Text Selection Menu

• Fixed a bug that caused the selection menu to appear when using the Double-Click and Triple-Click Actions. The selection will only appear when the Double-Click Action is set to “Single word” and when the Triple-Click Action is set to “Single paragraph”.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Double-Click and Triple-Click Actions to not execute the correct search.

I still have great difficulty performing a Triple-click action (Double-click is OK), and the mouse is worse than the touchpad. Invariably, the Double-click action is performed instead, despite the fact that it is obviously delayed.

It wasn't searching the correct resource, it would default the last use resource. So for example if you searched for a lemma in the SBLGNT and then tried to search something from the LHB it would run a Hebrew lemma search on the SBLGNT.

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2019 4:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

Philana, you haven't responded to my concern about the Triple-click, which was part of my original post.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2019 4:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

Dave Hooton:

Philana, you haven't responded to my concern about the Triple-click, which was part of my original post.

Did you mean moving "Select Paragraph" to Double-Click?

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2019 5:13 PM

Philana R. Crouch:
Did you mean moving "Select Paragraph" to Double-Click?

No -  my general observations that Triple-click does not work reliably.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 26 2019 11:16 PM

FWIW, I've had no problem with the triple-click action...

I think these settings are some of the most important (if subtle) changes that have been introduced recently. I personally think that for new accounts double-click should default to "select word" and triple-click should default to "select paragraph".

One small gripe: After I double click to select a word, and then type Cmd+C to copy to the clipboard, I'd like the selection menu to be dismissed.

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 27 2019 6:07 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
I think these settings are some of the most important (if subtle) changes that have been introduced recently.

The potential for confusion is high, as it is not as fine-grained as the Context menu e.g. Search/Lookup options can act differently in an RI with the assumptions of Preferred Lemma = YES (try "Midnight" Mt 25:6, ESV). You can see the two lemmas in the Context menu, and choose the appropriate one to use. And there is a lot of duplication of Actions between Selection menu and Double-click/Triple-click. So "important" -- no, and "subtle" -- too much so.

Triple-click has its moments, but Double-click is actioned  10% to 80% of the time  - not reliable on my touchpad. Mouse is worse.

I would prefer an Action of "None" on Triple-click, which could optimize Double-click response.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS