The future of Logos and Faithlife: Help us make the right decisions!

Page 7 of 7 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
This post has 128 Replies | 16 Followers

Posts 10035
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 7:25 AM

Guys, for goodness sakes. Casting 'Bible Study' as theological is the first mistake. Timothy, where art thou? And treating Logos as 'Bible Study' is the second. Sermon prep, yes. Research, yes. Batman is where he needs to be.

Posts 326
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 9:57 PM

Andrew:
I do appreciate the prayers. However, please do not misinterpret "frustration" over things as being equal to not loving God. 
The desire or lack thereof is due to the over complicated system, which is due to it's complex nature. For about 8 years I had an over-priced Logos system that did me no good at all. The simplest of tasks (looking up a verse by keyword or location) was far easier and quicker to do in a hard copy Bible or a google search. The load times alone was ridiculous. Fortunately, this has been improved upon with Logos 8. What used to take 3-5 minutes to load now take 30-60 seconds. Then there was the constant updates, rendering the software completely useless. (Yes, I know you can turn off updates, but, that is NOT an answer, because the updates are STILL there to be updated).
It's now just a matter of getting the desire to use this software that has cost me thousands of dollars over the past 9-10 years. Remember each jump is about $400, plus any additionals. I started at 3, was told there were no plans for L4, and within several months, there it was. Fortunately, Logos has since allowed for major discounts for jumping to the next version, that I do not recall before L7, if you had just purchased the previous. 

So, again, people who have frustrations and even anger issues with even "Christian" organizations have good reason to. But, does not mean they do not love God. 

Andrew Biddinger:

Batman:

Sadly there's not much that can be done to regain my desire (that i am aware of) to get back to the Bible Study I once loved. That will take God to move me back.

I need Jesus every day. Praying that he renews your heart to love him.

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” (Psalm 34:8, NIV)

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.” (1 Peter 2:2–3, NIV)

Posts 326
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 10:16 PM

DAL, Sorry, but, your response is about as confused a response as I have seen, in a long while. 

First, you are off base on what God does: "I have chosen you", "No man comes to the Father unless I draw them to him". Yes, God wants us to diligently seek him, and rewards those who do. But, even that is the gift of God. So, no, you are completely off base Scripturally  in saying "To expect a miracle or God to come and fetch you is to believe the devil’s lies." 
Second, I stated that I have lost my desire to study the Bible as I once did, because this software has been a sore spot to me for so long. It was everything I expected, but, nothing of what I had hoped. I had hoped it would be as simple to use as the previous software I had used, except thanks to MS upgrading to XP, none of my old software worked. I was told this was awesome software, would be fabulous for research. I just didn't expect to have to go to school to learn how to use it, or, for it to have been slower than opening the hard copy Bible to find a passage. Or to google a passage. 
As a side note, I generally use commentaries to ensure I am following inline Biblical interpretation, as opposed to "private interpretation", although I do my own work. I do have a working knowledge of how the Hebrew language works, while my actual language skills are not yet complete. 
But, Bible Study and whatever you are talking about are two different things. 
And, I will accept the prayers from any who profess to be Christians, for my spiritual well being; and, I do appreciate that. 

DAL:

Batman:

Sadly there's not much that can be done to regain my desire (that i am aware of) to get back to the Bible Study I once loved. That will take God to move me back.

Actually, God has already given you the knowledge to realize you can’t be in your current state.  It’s your choice to go back to your Father just like it was the prodigal son’s choice to come to his senses.

You cannot expect God to be behind you begging you to come back or to convince you to come back.  To expect a miracle or God to come and fetch you is to believe the devil’s lies.

Praying and hoping you repent and turn back to God!

DAL

Posts 326
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 10:21 PM

Hi Denise. Been a while seeing you here. (I best be careful, or else maybe my spiritual destination may be on the line for not posting regularly. lol). 
Yep, I think pastors get caught up in a conflict where they think Bible study for sermon prep and personal time with God are the same. They can be; but, they can also get in the way of each other, if we are not careful. 

Thanks for understanding the difference. And, I always hope I am where I need to be. But, I also understand I am a long way from where I should be. But, at the same time, I also understand that I need to go through many of these journeys to get where I need to be. 

Appreciate you. 
Thanks, sis.

Denise:

Guys, for goodness sakes. Casting 'Bible Study' as theological is the first mistake. Timothy, where art thou? And treating Logos as 'Bible Study' is the second. Sermon prep, yes. Research, yes. Batman is where he needs to be.

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 1:49 AM

Well Batman, You’re a calvinist...that explains everything.  Well, continue in your lost state.  According to Calvin maybe you weren’t a real Christian to begin with and that’s why you’re not in the mood for God anymore.

Don’t worry about obedience (Hebrews 5:8-9; Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46; John 13:17), you have not been chosen, so no need to vent with a pity party in the forum about how you don’t have the desire anymore.  

👍😁👌 Cheers to confusion! (Irony o ironies) 😂

DAL

Posts 3164
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 3:11 AM

A gentle reminder that the forum isn’t the place to argue about (or mock) different theological viewpoints. Let’s please be respectful of one another.

Posts 310
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 4:52 AM

Batman:

Andrew:
I do appreciate the prayers. However, please do not misinterpret "frustration" over things as being equal to not loving God.

Ah, I am glad for that! I was misunderstanding what you were saying then. I'm glad that your desire for God and knowing him through his word doesn't hinge on being happy with your Logos purchase. :)

This might not be you, but one thing I've found in me is that often when I find myself getting upset or disappointment in something, it can often be because I have made myself or an object an idol of my affections. That can be a good heart/motivation check. But, only you and the Lord know your own heart.

On a practical level, I'm sure we also agree together that we want Logos to improve.

Posts 326
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 1:54 PM

What I am is annoyed that you do not understand the difference between being a Christian and frustrated with expensive software that has not worked,
But, apparently you are what Solomon has described in Proverbs 26. 
If we have an ignore button, please add me to yours, as I will add you to mine. 

DAL:

Well Batman, You’re a calvinist...that explains everything.  Well, continue in your lost state.  According to Calvin maybe you weren’t a real Christian to begin with and that’s why you’re not in the mood for God anymore.

Don’t worry about obedience (Hebrews 5:8-9; Matthew 7:21; Luke 6:46; John 13:17), you have not been chosen, so no need to vent with a pity party in the forum about how you don’t have the desire anymore.  

👍😁👌 Cheers to confusion! (Irony o ironies) 😂

DAL

Posts 326
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:08 PM

ROFLOL no, my happiness and state of eternal security and my standing before God is not dependency on my Logos purchase; that is solely based on God's mercy, and his choice to have accepted me, or to not have accepted me. (Eph. 2:8-10) 
And, yes, I do want Logos to constantly improve, and fortunately, so does Bob, and the company (hence this entire thread, he created). And, fortunately, L8 has made HUGE strides in the improvement category, in my opinion. It is extremely expensive (to me) as I have decided to go with the annual membership; but, IF i can get motivated to learn this software (which I still have a huge distaste for, and will be a while before I can erase the bad taste left behind, for quite some time), I will rejoice that I am able to and willing to use all the money I have forked over to this software and make good use of it. In the meantime, I have an overpriced software that I just do not have the motivation and desire to learn; other than to read as a Bible. (Which again, makes this a several thousand dollar Bible; rather than the resource it was intended to be. And at THAT point, once i get to that point, I will be happy with the purchase(s). Until then, I am still blah about it)> However, on the plus side, I have seen Bob and his desire to be more honorable than I initially perceived; and am happy that I am (hopefully) incorrect on his motivations. 

Once I can get past the lack of motivation to learn the software, I can begin to appreciate it, and the improvements that came along with 8, and I am sure will come with 9. 

Andrew Biddinger:

Batman:

Andrew:

Ah, I am glad for that! I was misunderstanding what you were saying then. I'm glad that your desire for God and knowing him through his word doesn't hinge on being happy with your Logos purchase. :)

This might not be you, but one thing I've found in me is that often when I find myself getting upset or disappointment in something, it can often be because I have made myself or an object an idol of my affections. That can be a good heart/motivation check. But, only you and the Lord know your own heart.

On a practical level, I'm sure we also agree together that we want Logos to improve.

Page 7 of 7 (129 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS