How would you improve these product details?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1805
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 29 2019 11:44 PM

Now that we're on the new website platform, we're starting to think about ways to further improve the shopping experience. One thing I'd like to see us improve is the information we provide on product detail pages.

Take a look at the Product Details section on this product page, and let me know what you think. What would you change or add to make it more useful?

In addition to the Product Details section, what else would you like to see on product detail pages to make them more useful?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:06 AM

We've discussed elsewhere about moving the "This title is included in the following collections" elsewhere. As I've thought about that, a link under the price that jumps to the lower part of the page might be best. Ideally the link would say: 'Available from $38.50 in bigger collections' or something.

But as this page goes, the content is excellent: the 'blurb', contents, endorsements, and information about the author. The product details section is a really, really welcome addition, and I'm really glad to see the ResourceID part of that group. Some suggestions:

• Some hover text to explain some of the categories (e.g. type, topic, indexes, search fields).
  • For products that are a single resource, I'd prefer to see community ratings from the library, as there are more of these.
  • LoC Subjects could be usefully added, as could (where relevant) original publication date.
  • There is some additional data that could also be useful for advanced users, especially 'traits'. Perhaps these could be added under an 'advanced' or 'more' link?
  • You could link the ISBN at the top, just as you have later on.
  • We've asked to see collections that we already own included in the box, so that we can advise others, or think about how we ended up with a resource without having to go into incognito mode.
  • (There's a typo: 'conservative'.)

But if all product pages were like this, I'd be very happy. 

My only concern would be how that works for collections. It's important that we can see all this information for all resources within a collection, and as you know not all resources yet have product pages.

Posts 3168
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:12 AM

I definitely like the expanded product details, thanks!

I think it's helpful to see that a specific feature or tool can take advantage of the resource. The resource ID is also appreciated.

Known issues that should already be on the list of improvements:

• I'd like to see Similar Products by Category so we can see how a resource is categorized (or missing particular tags). I still come across resources that have no category tags at all. Hopefully FL can go through the list of resources and add missing (or additional) tags, to make it easier to discover similar resources.
  • I'd like to see owned collections in the "This title is included in..." section.

Not sure if this issue is planned or not:

• I'd like to see an owned resource still show sale pricing, not merely regular pricing.

Thanks for listening!

Posts 1940
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:35 AM

I'm really glad for all the info presented in the Product Details section, but I think it would be better/cleaner to have everything after ISBNs be collapsed under a More/Less button.

Also, where applicable, it would be nice if the "Works with" features would link to a feature intro/training video.

Posts 1940
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:46 AM

I'd also prefer to have the Product Details section moved above the Endorsements section and have the Contents section be collapsible.

Posts 2298
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 30 2019 11:58 AM

The new product page is well thought out. Although I like the "see inside," I would prefer that the preface page be reproduced in its entirety and links to each chapter and other pages be provided as listed. In addition, under Contents it would be preferred that each page were a hyperlink to that location in the resource. Otherwise kudos for a job well done.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2019 7:43 AM

In my opinion, the most annoying thing about shopping on Logos.com or FL ebooks, is the inconsistent styles of previews available.

- For the published books, it has a nice web-based viewer. I understand it only shows a limited preview, but it tends to pick random pages here and there from throughout the book and does not really give us a good sense of the book. I would much prefer you do it Amazon.com style, which is to give preview of the first chapter or at least first few pages, uninterrupted, rather than jumping around from beginning to end of the book.

- For the not-yet-published books, sometimes we get a simple viewer of a few page scans. More often than not, we get links to about 6 or 7 scanned pages only. This is most annoying. Not only does this not give the potential purchaser a fair look at the book, the user also has to keep open and closing browser tabs to view each of the scanned pages. Can you please improve on this experience?

Thanks,

Peter

Posts 2061
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2019 7:47 AM

I agree with those above: I really really love the extended information, but I think it needs to be better organized with the more useful stuff for average browser up front and more advanced details hidden on a tab or collapsible section. 

Also agree that we need better navigation to useful features like the "Included in" section. I would argue though for full navigation than just a link to that section. Some of the pages are quite long with a number of sections spaced out. Something like the demo I made during testing works really nice 😁 : https://github.com/simsrw73/userscripts#faithlife-stores-enhanced

I'd also like a link to open resources I own in Logos or the web app. (See same demo above.)

Love those added details. Thank you!

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2019 8:16 AM

Phil, this PDP is a big improvement.

I lend my voice to those who would like to have everything below ISBN minimized and to reiterate my agreement for the already-planned change of raising up the included-in section.

As far as this particular PDP is concerned, I think it's a mistake that searching the first ISBN brings up the resource, but searching the second does not.

Posts 3168
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2019 8:47 AM

PL:
the user also has to keep open and closing browser tabs to view each of the scanned pages

It's not obvious, but on the desktop you can use the left and right arrow keys to navigate between the sample pages.

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 6:40 AM

I thought I've tried that and it didn't work on many product pages...

Posts 2788
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 7:26 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What would you change or add to make it more useful?

Here are some specific details I want to see when I look at a product-

a. Year of publication of the original paper book (along with year of epub, etc.)

b. A short description of the author's background (i.e., Roman Catholic, Reformed, Baptist, Pentecostal, etc.)...I know much of this is found in the product details section, but I'd like to see a one- or two-word summary right at the top near the author's info.

c. I would also like to see how the resource is indexed outside of the product details, though this isn't a deal-breaker (just a time-saver)

d. Let me see if I own it already (first-world problem!) and if in a set or collection, whether it is available singly (with a link!) and dynamically priced (I think most of this already happens)

Most of the rest of the stuff I want to see is found in the product details, where I'll look if the above stuff is within the bounds of what I'm looking for.

All-in-all, I think the product pages are done very well.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 3168
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 9:16 AM

PL:

I just tried it and the arrow keys still let you navigate the sample pages.

Please provide a URL for a product page which isn't working properly, so the issue can be identified and fixed.

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 11:12 AM

PetahChristian:

PL:

I just tried it and the arrow keys still let you navigate the sample pages.

Please provide a URL for a product page which isn't working properly, so the issue can be identified and fixed.

Yes, there are many PDPs where this doesn't work, where you have to close the preview page to open the next one. These are the ones that have "Sample Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5..." with each volume. Many of the older pre-pubs are like this. Here's one example:

https://www.logos.com/product/23994/anabaptist-and-mennonite-studies-collection

A Google search for "Sample Pages" site:www.logos.com should find them all. There are a lot.

Posts 1335
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 12:47 PM

Thanks Rosie!

Peter

Posts 3168
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2019 6:28 AM

Was some information removed from the proposed Product Details?

I was about to link to this page to let someone know that indices would be shown in the future, but they seem to be missing now from the improved product details.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:50 PM

It’s still there. Did you tap on ‘advanced’?

Posts 1805
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2019 3:13 PM

Mark Barnes:

It’s still there. Did you tap on ‘advanced’?

It was inadvertently removed. I added it back this morning (independent of your post) with an expandable Advanced Details section.

Posts 1940
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 6:44 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
an expandable Advanced Details section

I like this, but would prefer to have more of the details put into the advanced section (simply to condense the page a bit). Also, please make the entire "Contents" section collapsed/expandable. Viewing the TOC is only for when I'm getting quite seriously interested, NOT for "browsing," IMO.

Posts 1063
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2019 7:11 AM

If I have missed it or it has already been suggested, I apologize, but I'd like to see the Tradition listed on each product page.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS