Resource Question: The Formation of the Biblical Canon by McDonald

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2311
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 3 2019 8:38 AM

I have an interest in the formation of the biblical canon and was interested in this resource by Lee McDonald and had a couple questions:

https://www.logos.com/product/138607/the-formation-of-the-biblical-canon

I already have his book, "Biblical Canon: Its Origin, Transmission and Authority", so would I just be duplicating resources?

https://www.logos.com/product/39629/biblical-canon-its-origin-transmission-and-authority

Does this qualify for the 30% discount for the first time purchase from Logos' new website.  Also, can I add my birthday coupon as well?  The resource is pricey, but if I can get both discounts, it will lower the cost significantly.

Also, since my wife just got the new sun room added to our house that she wanted, I think I'm entitled to some new books.Smile

Thanks.

Posts 2311
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 12:11 PM

Bump. 

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 12:25 PM

Ronald Quick:
Does this qualify for the 30% discount for the first time purchase from Logos' new website.  Also, can I add my birthday coupon as well?  The resource is pricey, but if I can get both discounts, it will lower the cost significantly.

Probably. You can actually test that yourself by putting the stuff in your cart and adding the relevant codes.

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 2:01 PM

According to the 2 volume resource, it’s an expansion of the previous edition. So much material has been added that it’s now double the information; that’s why it’s in 2 volumes.  New editions are considered new resources; hence, paying again, even though the might overlap a bit.

DAL

Posts 2311
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 6:38 PM

Thanks.  It looks good, but at 900+ pages it will take me a while to get through.

Posts 6224
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2019 7:05 PM

Ronald Quick:

Thanks.  It looks good, but at 900+ pages it will take me a while to get through.

Not only that, but the price is $249.99 — Waaaaay too much money for 2 volumes of something that costs $39.99!

Posts 48
RHC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 7 2019 8:11 PM

Sorry for the late response, perhaps you already used the 30% discount code or have already made up your mind.

I just read some of McDonald's preface on Google's preview for "Formation of the Biblical Canon" (2 vols), and the author says that the 2 vol edition does not simply "correct' or "update" his previous book which you mentioned ("Biblical Canon: Its Origin, Transmission and Authority", 3rd ed), but is "an almost complete rewrite that includes interaction with many important new articles and books on canon formation of both the Hebrew Bible, Old Testament, and the New Testament” (p. xxxiii). He also says, “Readers familiar with my earlier positions will find some of them strengthened and a few abandoned in favor of more defensible arguments" (p. xxxii)."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS