Holding up the sky

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 11 2019 11:59 PM

A few years ago while doing some unrelated research in Logos, I came across some images of altars of some sort, from both Egyptian and maybe Mesopotamian sources, in the shape of creatures holding up a curved surface. Sort of like holding up the sky. These were photos of either sculptures or reliefs. I now cannot for the life of me find these images.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here, and can you point me in the right direction to rediscover them? Thanks.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2019 1:35 PM

Search-wise, the closest I could get good examples: support NEAR sky

Then discussions of the temple's sea 

Not what you're describing, but Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary locates the closest match to Ezekiel 1 (end of Iconography article) and the likely 4 creatures supporting the sky (vs the usual pillars)

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2019 1:50 PM

Christopher Kou:

A few years ago while doing some unrelated research in Logos, I came across some images of altars of some sort, from both Egyptian and maybe Mesopotamian sources, in the shape of creatures holding up a curved surface. Sort of like holding up the sky. These were photos of either sculptures or reliefs. I now cannot for the life of me find these images.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about here, and can you point me in the right direction to rediscover them? Thanks.

I believe you are referring to the Egyptian goddess Nut. I found this image in the Logos version of the Encyclopedia Britannica

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2019 1:54 PM

Beloved:
I believe you are referring to the Egyptian goddess Nut. I found this image in the Logos version of the Encyclopedia Britannica

I am not referring to Nut, actually.  I was aware of these representations.  The thing I am looking for is specifically a 3D representation (either sculpture or relief).

And I know I saw it, because I made a mental note of it at the time.  If I recall correctly it was 2-4 creatures supporting an upside down dish-like object, where the top surface appeared to be some sort of altar or table.  I am almost certain there were multiple examples of this concept.

Posts 10045
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2019 2:46 PM

I am not aware of a relief or 3D picture but in Greek mythology the giant Atlas (like the mountain range in north-wesr Africa) is holding up the heavy sky. Heracles once stepped in for a time and those adventures were often displayed in art. Hope this helps you finding it. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 42
Christopher Kou | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2019 8:47 PM

Okay, I found what I was looking for.  I guess my memory isn't as good as I thought.  These were not reliefs or sculptures, but traced papyri. 

Figures 17 and 18 on p.26 in:

Keel, Othmar. The Symbolism of the Biblical World: Ancient Near Eastern Iconography and the Book of Psalms. Translated by Timothy J. Hallett. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997

Bibliographical reference:

17. Papyrus of Ani, 18th Dynasty (1570–1345 B.C.); BM. S. Schott, “Weltbild,” p. 185. W. Westendorf, Sonnenlauf, pl. 6.
18. Papyrus (Book of the Dead), New Kingdom (1570–1085 B.C.); Dublin, Trinity College. E. Naville, Todtenbuch, vol. 1, pl. 27.

They do seem similar to the bronze sea, as someone suggested here.  That is why I was looking for them!  Big Smile  Thanks everyone!

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS