New Testament Apocryphon

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10
Joseph Lewin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 16 2019 12:37 AM

Hi

I am looking for a good English translation of the primary texts that were excluded from the New Testament (e.g. The shepherd of Hermas, Apocalypse of Peter, etc), which are not part of the Nag Hammadi texts (I have those separately).

Any recommendations are welcome.

thank you 

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2019 5:44 AM

You'll find these spread over a number of volumes. If you're looking specifically for Christian apocryphal and pseudepigraphal works, then you probably already have a good deal of these, in the Church Fathers volumes. The Apocalypse of Peter is in ANF9. Hermas is in ANF2. You'll also find a number of Jewish and Christian texts in ANF8.

That's not to say it's the best translation, nor that there aren't other texts, but I wanted to make sure you knew they were there before you started digging elsewhere.

Posts 1275
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2019 9:58 AM

Joseph Lewin:
(e.g. The shepherd of Hermas, Apocalypse of Peter, etc), which are not part of the Nag Hammadi texts

You're probably looking for books/resources with "Apostolic Fathers" (Shepherd of Hermas, Ep. Barnabas, 1&2 Clement) in the title or "New Testament Apocrypha" (apocryphal gospels, acts, and apocalypses) in the title.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 10
Joseph Lewin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2019 3:57 AM

Thanks! Are there any well known and respected collections?

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2019 6:28 AM

Joseph Lewin:

This old thread will help with the four English translations of the Apostolic Fathers: Need advice on purchase of Apostolic Fathers: Lake or Lightfoot. However, we now have a few more options, including Jackson and Holland. But the FOTC volume is now probably the best scholarly and accessible translation. If you have an L8 base package you may already have it.

There's less choice with the Apocryphal New Testament. You have Hone, James and Orr, and this collection of commentaries and essays. They all contain different mixtures of the materials, though and will overlap with Nag Hammadi. James would probably be my pick.

Posts 901
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2019 8:18 AM

Joseph Lewin:

Rick Brannan in his response humbly didn't mention his own book

https://www.logos.com/product/27298/the-apostolic-fathers-in-english

This gives you many of the books you're looking for.

Posts 425
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2019 10:48 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Rick Brannan in his response humbly didn't mention his own book

https://www.logos.com/product/27298/the-apostolic-fathers-in-english

This gives you many of the books you're looking for.

i’d heartily Recommend Rick‘s Apostolic Fathers in English. It is extremely readable. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS