Does the $330 ipad work well with the logos app?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 6 2019 6:02 PM

I am looking to get an iPad soon, and know that the most resource-intensive app I will need to use is Logos.  

Will the cheap iPad gen 6 (2018 model) do well enough? I do not need it to work seamlessly but I don't want to buy it and find that it cant handle the load. 

If you have this iPad and can tell me from experience, or know someone who does please let me know :)

Thanks! 

Posts 4588
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 6:09 PM

It should run the app without issue. The one thing I would suggest considering is the available storage. If it is too small, you may find limitations in the number of resources your are able to keep locally.

Posts 2
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 6:13 PM

I only preach about once a month so I would only be loading the resources I need each time plus the resources I use to teach bible studies.  Shouldnt be an issue.  

Thanks! 

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 6:52 PM

My 2018 iPad 6 128GB $429 is really a joy. I think you would be happier if you could pony up the extra $$ for the larger memory. As for your question, I'm not sure the smaller memory could handle the job, but I'm no techie. Best wishes!

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2019 8:30 PM

Steve Maling:
I think you would be happier if you could pony up the extra $$ for the larger memory. As for your question, I'm not sure the smaller memory could handle the job, but I'm no techie.

For clarification: You have additional storage, not memory. The 128GB represents how much data the device can store, not how much it can think about at one time (the function of computer memory, aka "RAM"). 

For the purposes of the Logos mobile apps: They were not designed to download all of your resources. FL does not recommend that you do so. For most users there is no "Logos reason" you would need more than the basic 32GB. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 114
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 9:19 AM

I think by saying $330 you mean the latest model that is $329. If you look at prices online it goes on sale at amazon, best buy, and walmart for $249 very often. Just a little tip thatll save you $80. If you add ipad as a topic to the apple news app (if you have a device with that app) you'll see all sorts of news articles that mention price drops. 

Posts 278
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 11:37 AM

It should. My Mini 4 runs it well, and that’s weaker.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. Gold: Orthodox. Bronze: Lutheran. Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 588
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 12:20 PM

JT, thanks for cleaning up my languageBig Smile It is very easy for me to misspeak, sadlySurprise

Posts 27442
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2019 2:15 PM

Steve Maling:

JT, thanks for cleaning up my languageBig Smile It is very easy for me to misspeak, sadlySurprise

No problem. Smile

The word "memory" in everyday usage is different than its use in computer lingo... so it can get confusing! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
Darren Broadhurst | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2019 3:23 AM

Hi Matthew, I have the exact same model and it runs Logos very well. You'll have no trouble I am sure.

Posts 4
Goh Yong Li Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2019 9:11 AM

I am using ipad pro 10.5" version. For reading it is the best. For detail study, maybe laptop/desktop OS still is better

software still has some bugs.

1. scrolling down the book/text sometimes you find that it stops scrolling. "like it hit a wall" (close app, wait for a while, open app, problem solved)
2. highlighting of words/phrase. sometimes it highlights multiple paragraphs if you drag and drop between lines (not on the line)

granted, it is still improving.

a good thing about iOS version is that by holding on a word, the pop-up window shows lexical data with synopsis from BDB/BDAG respectively.

also, if you use Sermon Editor too, you can sync your sermon to your account and view it on your ipad (read-only) for preaching. Very useful when there is no printer available prior to preaching.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS