HALOT dosent show in lema search.

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:11 AM

I have set HALOT to be my first search for Hebrew but when I select a word and lema it doesn't show in the list. My second priory "A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic ..." and all others show. How do I correct this?

Posts 9277
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:35 AM

You didn't say where and for what word this occurred so others of us could check it. That would be helpful. You also didn't say if this was a problem every time you chose a word or with just selected words.

Hebrew lexicons do not always list words with the same lexical form. Logos did some work to overcome this problem but occasionally it has trouble getting to the right entries. HALOT is more troublesome than others in my experience. Perhaps this is what is happening if you only occasionally run into this issue. Otherwise something else may be wrong.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:43 AM

I was doing a search on Psalm 23:1 the word "shepherd". I haven't tried to search anything else to see what happens.

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 8:48 AM

Mark, this is intresting, I did Gen 1:1 "created" it did show up but not as first priority. I then tryes Gen 1:10 "God" in the last sentence ... "And God saw ..." and it didn't show up. 

Posts 9277
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 9:01 AM

When I repeat your example from Genesis 1:10 I do get HALOT showing up. I also get my lexicons listed in the order in which they are prioritized. I'm not sure why you aren't getting the same result.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 9:22 AM

Did you get it when you looked at Psalm 23:1 "Shepherd"?

Posts 9277
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 9:41 AM

Patrick Williams:

Yes I did:

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:02 AM

Patrick Williams:

Yes I got it and it is on the first position:

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:52 AM

Patrick Williams:

Check your priorities.  Open the library and click on "prioritize."  Perhaps you have another lexicon above HAL.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:47 PM

No I have HALOT as my first and then A Concise Hebrew ... in my prioritize list. When I do Psalm 23 "A Concise.." comes up first and HALOT doesn't come in the list.

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 12:49 PM

I have Click Tricks but I don't know how to do a screen shot or I would show you my screen.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 12 2010 1:42 PM

Patrick Williams:

No I have HALOT as my first and then A Concise Hebrew ... in my prioritize list. When I do Psalm 23 "A Concise.." comes up first and HALOT doesn't come in the list.

Try de-prioritizing the Concise Hebrew Lexicon (If you have the whole enchillada, why use the concise version).  You can always put it back later.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 12:31 PM

Patrick Williams:

I was doing a search on Psalm 23:1 the word "shepherd". I haven't tried to search anything else to see what happens.

I just noted that the morph tagging for רֹ֝עִ֗י  here is as a qal part of רָעָה.  I disagree.  It is a noun and is listed as such by BDB.  This is one of the times I'll go with BDB against Köhler-Baumgartner.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 1:23 PM

Actually "shepherd" here is not a noun it is a verb. I was checking to see if HALOT would have it as a noun or verb why i did this exercise, only to find out that HALOT doesn't come up in my search. I'll call Logos for help on my problem. However; I wonder if anyone else has found this intresting.

When "shepherd" is used as a verb the whole flow of Psalm 23 is very different! I did a study/ message about a year ago, before having logos, and the revelation shakes the foundation of how we as shepherd should act based on the Lord's example.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:06 PM

Patrick Williams:
Actually "shepherd" here is not a noun it is a verb. I was checking to see if HALOT would have it as a noun or verb why i did this exercise

No, "shepherd" is definitely a noun.  It is a non-verbal sentence.  See

Miller, Cynthia L. Vol. 1, The Verbless Clause in Biblical Hebrew : Linguistic Approaches. Linguistic studies in ancient West Semitic. Winona Lake, Ind.: Eisenbrauns, 1999.

regarding the verbless clause.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:24 PM

Patrick Williams:
Actually "shepherd" here is not a noun it is a verb

According to the available morphologies, it is a participle--which is a noun (even though the root is a verb).

Logos morphology:

Westminster morphology:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:36 PM

Todd Phillips:

Patrick Williams:
Actually "shepherd" here is not a noun it is a verb

According to the available morphologies, it is a participle--which is a noun (even though the root is a verb).

Logos morphology:

Westminster morphology:

The morphology in BHS is incorrect.  It is a noun with 1 c sg suff.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 26
Apostle Dr. Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:38 PM

So if we were to apply it in it's form what would we say?

The Lord is my Shepherd meaning one who keeps "a noun" or

The Lord is my shepherd meaning to feed, to give one self as food "verb"

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:02 PM

George Somsel:

George are you sure? In a third-heh noun, wouldn't the Heh be replaced by a tav - רָעָתִי.  

Doesn't the holem tell us that this is the participial form?

Posts 29637
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:20 PM

George Somsel:

Okay, I'm trying to learn this stuff - what would distinguish the participle from the noun?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS