Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 13 2019 1:14 PM

I came back from vacation and was shocked to discover the major change in orientation of the Context menu. After 20 years, Logos no longer orients the context menu the way a Middle Eastern person would think -- right to left! Big Smile This will mean a big change in muscle memory and visual orientation.

Thanks for this change! I think this will make Logos much easier to learn. When I teach English speaking students to use Logos, one of the most confusing things has been to teach them to "think in Hebrew" -- choose the tag you want to work with from the right side of the menu and then what you want to do with it from the left side.

There are a few glitches and areas of confusion that I will comment on in separate messages. But overall, I think this will be a popular change.

Does anyone know when version 8.7 is expected to go public? Classes start on Monday. Normally I teach using the beta version on my laptop without confusion, but this change will make a big difference. I will have to rerecord a lot of videos for my online courses. I wish such a fundamental change in user interface had been part of the first version of Logos 8.

Posts 27546
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 1:44 PM

Harry Hahne:
I wish such a fundamental change in user interface had been part of the first version of Logos 8.

I concur, but am also glad for the change. Major UI changes should be only in big releases. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3190
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 13 2019 6:12 PM

I'm grateful we didn't have to wait another year for FL to release an 8.0 that had all the changes made in the last year.

Also grateful for the developers who continue to work on the new UI and features, and for all the beta testers who have been filing reports to get everything as polished and reliable as possible!

Thanks, from a stable channel user who likes to read the beta threads.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 1:58 PM

JT (alabama24):

Harry Hahne:
I wish such a fundamental change in user interface had been part of the first version of Logos 8.

I concur, but am also glad for the change. Major UI changes should be only in big releases. 

I'm surprised they didn't release this type of change with Logos 8.0. They should be doing a lot more communicating than they currently are that this change is coming. People who don't follow the forums and particularly the Desktop Beta forum and release notes are going to be caught off guard by this change. Faithlife may want to start sending out emails and posting videos to orient people to this change BEFORE it shows up in people's normal software update. Then, if people need to, they can turn automatic update off until they are ready for the change.

I predict that there will be a lot of complaining Logos users (more than normal Wink) if they just spring this change on people. Uproar and revolt coming in 5...4...3...2...

Posts 350
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2019 9:01 AM

I'm glad you all like the change. We would have liked to have introduced it with 8.0, but it was on a long list of things that we didn't have time. Still, we think that together with the selection menu, it adds enough value not to wait for another major release. One of the main goals is to make Logos easier to use, especially for the novice.

Kiyah:
Uproar and revolt coming in 5...4...3...2...

Oh, I think you exaggerating. In my experience, at least, it took a little getting used to, but I adapted very quickly. And when I had occasion to switch back to the stable version, it struck me again just how odd it is for the menu to go right-to-left. I really don't think anyone will have a serious problem with it once they give it half a chance. (I hope. Indifferent

Nevertheless, we know it's a big change, and we are prepared. There are new training articles and videos, and a blog post will go live when we ship 8.7 today. Morris Proctor also has a free webinar later this week, and we can follow up with other channels (email, app messages, etc.) if there seems to be a big user need. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 27546
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2019 10:38 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
I really don't think anyone will have a serious problem with it once they give it half a chance. (I hope. Indifferent

We will see. Have you been around in the forums? Stick out tongue I hope you are right! 

Nevertheless, we know it's a big change, and we are prepared. There are new training articles and videos, and a blog post will go live when we ship 8.7 today. Morris Proctor also has a free webinar later this week, and we can follow up with other channels (email, app messages, etc.) if there seems to be a big user need.

Glad to hear it! Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2019 1:27 PM

JT (alabama24):

I really don't think anyone will have a serious problem with it once they give it half a chance. (I hope. Indifferent

We will see. Have you been around in the forums? Stick out tongue I hope you are right! 

I resemble that remark. Wink

I tool was shocked at first but quickly when from "I don't know if I like this" to "Wow I'm glad they changed this."

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS