Set up new MacBook

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 14 2019 5:34 AM

For those of you who have done so in the past couple years, How do you suggest I set up my new MacBook Pro (arriving today!)? My question is both related to Logos, but to setting up the computer in general as well. When I set up my current one, I was coming off a model with a failing hard drive... so it has been probably more than 7 years since I have had to decide between migrating or setting up the device fresh. If you think I should migrate, would you update the new MacBook first? What about using Time Machine? (I would have to create the backup first). 

If I set the new computer up fresh, I will use the "scan method" to import the resources. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 6:02 AM

I do this all the time for various reasons and I always set up as a new device. It's a good time to clear out stuff you don't need or want or use. I install some essentials (Logos would likely fit that category for you) plus MS Office and Chrome. Then I only install other things as I need them. That way I don't reinstall stuff I don't need.

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:20 AM

JT

It has been several years since I updated my computer, but I migrated everything over using the Apple Migration tool. I cleaned up the old computer first removing programs and documents I did not want migrated. I just prefer to have things as they were on the old computer without all the tweaking required at the cost of not starting clean. Depends on your time available to set up the new computer and your priorities.

Posts 3265
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:27 AM

Definitely set it up fresh.

Posts 4686
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:59 AM

I tend to swap my iMac and MacBook every six years or so.

When I do I tend to download all the applications as I need them.

JT (alabama24):
If I set the new computer up fresh, I will use the "scan method" to import the resources. 

Logos being a special case gets the program installed and then the library downloaded afresh and indexed while I sleep.

I want a fresh machine with the latest files and the minimum of detritus.

Posts 4686
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:59 AM

I tend to swap my iMac and MacBook every six years or so.

When I do I tend to download all the applications as I need them.

JT (alabama24):

Logos being a special case gets the program installed and then the library downloaded afresh and indexed while I sleep.

I want a fresh machine with the latest files and the minimum of detritus.

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:05 AM

Mike Binks:
and then the library downloaded afresh

You don't use the scan method? Surprise

I currently have moderately slow, but unmetered internet. It would probably take days to download all of my resources! Tongue Tied

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:13 AM

John Fidel:
I just prefer to have things as they were on the old computer without all the tweaking required at the cost of not starting clean.

This really is the tension! However, doing "spring cleaning" is easier on a fresh device... 

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:17 AM

Andrew Biddinger:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-on-a-mac/

I'd consider it, but I am not spending $140-$200 for a gag. 

Posts 337
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:53 AM

JT (alabama24):

Andrew Biddinger:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-on-a-mac/

I'd consider it, but I am not spending $140-$200 for a gag. 

Haha. :D

Posts 1870
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 11:30 AM

JT (alabama24):
I currently have moderately slow, but unmetered internet. It would probably take days to download all of my resources! Tongue Tied

In this case I would take a daytrip to a good Library (nearby Bible College or Seminary) with highspeed internet. I know the scan option works for many, but I've always done a fresh install download and I've never experienced the "rebuild index" issues that many forum users describe.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 12:23 PM

David Thomas:
I've always done a fresh install download and I've never experienced the "rebuild index" issues that many forum users describe.

These are unrelated. The "scan command" imports the resources from another device/drive... it is unrelated to the index. The scan command saves on the download time, but does not impact the indexing. 

David Thomas:
In this case I would take a daytrip to a good Library (nearby Bible College or Seminary) with highspeed internet

I may do that! 

Posts 2302
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 12:54 PM

I've always migrated from my previous Mac installation. It depends on how much stuff you do. I realize that I have been on a computer for maybe 35 years or so and there's not a little history that has been kept. You might spring clean first. 

If this doesn't work, you can always start fresh. That option doesn't disappear if you don't like the migration. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27800
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 1:49 PM

mab:
That option doesn't disappear if you don't like the migration. 

Yes

Posts 12
Rob Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:26 PM

I always do a fresh install.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS