3rd Party Cookies

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 14 2019 8:53 AM

There are some extreme technicalities I just do not "get" when it comes to certain things with Cookies, permissions, etc. 
I've had to deal with identity theft and clearing up the aftermath for someone (ironically, they never used a computer, being blind and over 80, at the time). Computers have not helped but have broadened this problem. As a result of helping deal with ID theft, I have become extremely paranoid. Not that I wasn't already paranoid in this area, to start with

FL/Logos requires 3rd party cookies to be enabled to view some training videos (and other pages). Like permissions, some things seemingly do not need to be; but due to complexities unknown to me, they are. I am wondering if the tech-know-how people here can explain why I should enable the 3rd party cookies, and more specifically, why they are required. It's not that I do not trust FL; its that I do not trust 3rd parties. Sure, I can go back and clear the cookies (and I do). But, like certain permissions, there is actually a purpose behind these seemingly unnecessary intrusions of privacy. So, can someone explain the purposes behind the required enabling of these seemingly undesirable cookies? 

Thanks. 

Posts 27771
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:15 AM

Batman:
FL/Logos requires 3rd party cookies to be enabled to view some training videos (and other pages).

I don't doubt this, but where are you seeing it? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 169
Daniel NM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 10:29 AM

Batman:

I am wondering if the tech-know-how people here can explain why I should enable the 3rd party cookies, and more specifically, why they are required. It's not that I do not trust FL; its that I do not trust 3rd parties. Sure, I can go back and clear the cookies (and I do). But, like certain permissions, there is actually a purpose behind these seemingly unnecessary intrusions of privacy. So, can someone explain the purposes behind the required enabling of these seemingly undesirable cookies? 

My guess is that certain FL/Logos pages with the embedded training videos also utilize these 3rd party cookies for analytics and user tracking data. 

<!-- -->

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:16 PM

From the Training videos page https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019103211-Logos-8-Training-Videos

Clicking on a video brings up the Cookies must be enabled line. 

Well, support is open now, and I have a few minutes, so I will try and see if they can help. Except for a couple things, eg, not having to log in every flip of the page, I don't even like 1st party cookies. I've never trusted them (for no other reason they can be abused. And while the arguments have always stated, "Its only a line of code" it seems more and more that my fears back in the 90s are true. Esp. on them nasty Flash cookies). 

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:17 PM

Yes; but, I was also wondering why and if I need to be concerned. 

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:28 PM

Batman:

I guess you saw the Forbes article last night, from Google’s security team. MS all the way back to XP. And someone thinks average people are going to jump.

We already moved everything to ios and severely limit apps. No social media. Filter cookies. Strip the browser after each site. And Disconnect for VPN and tracking-strips.

Computers (hackers) never forget.

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:43 PM

Actually, no, I have not seen that. 
I'm just a bit paranoid over 3rd party cookies, and software and websites telling me to enable them, well, that just doesnt fly too well with me. Its like all these permissions everyone just allows on their phones. I want to know why an app needs to be able to read my contacts, disable this and that, rearrange things, and to erase data. 

Denise:

Batman:

I guess you saw the Forbes article last night, from Google’s security team. MS all the way back to XP. And someone thinks average people are going to jump.

We already moved everything to ios and severely limit apps. No social media. Filter cookies. Strip the browser after each site. And Disconnect for VPN and tracking-strips.

Computers (hackers) never forget.

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:47 PM

So I call FL and it appears that these changes came as a result of the recent Microsoft updates that pretty much screwed everything up over the past couple months. 
IF I am misunderstanding her correctly, FL is a 3rd party (Hmmm. Interesting) and therefore, due to the changes, needs to be able to access cookies as a 3rd party. 
Someone at FL can clarify any misunderstandings I have here. 
Before getting disconnected (Thanks Verizon) she did suggest going through Logos itself. Ok, I can do that. :D 

Posts 2339
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:52 PM

Batman:

I don't think so. From a quick analysis, it seems that support.logos.com requires five cookies from faithlifetv.com, which show up as external cookies.

My privacy plugin removed components from a couple of unwanted sources, but none of them look like a major concern (printfriendly.com, amplitude.com, googletagmanager.com, livehelpnow.net, facebook.net, google-analytics.com).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2339
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2019 2:56 PM

You can run the videos directly from faithlife tv, without the requirement of 3rd party cookies.

https://faithlifetv.com/media/603897?utm_source=faithlifetv.com&utm_medium=embedded-player&utm_campaign=embed

Edit: use this link to get to the overview of all tutorial videos: https://faithlifetv.com/items/560891

Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2019 8:44 AM

Thanks. 
I know privacy and security is gone these days, but, still, dont want to just open things up for people. Been fortunate myself, but.. 
and that's the problem. A great big huge But. 

Posts 27771
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2019 11:18 AM

Batman:
I know privacy and security is gone these days

Well Bruce, your secret has been out for a while. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2019 3:33 PM

Batman:
IF I am misunderstanding her correctly, FL is a 3rd party

Whilst you can access FL directly to avoid this, I use the option to accept 3rd party cookies "From visited" in Firefox. Either way, one is trusting FL (and Logos) cookies. If I get a challenge that 3rd party cookies are needed, then I consider carefully before temporarily changing the option.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2339
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2019 4:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
Whilst you can access FL directly to avoid this, I use the option to accept 3rd party cookies "From visited" in Firefox.

That's what I used to do, but found it inadequate, as it lets tracking by the worst data krakens still happen (for example by Google and Facebook, which are sites most people have visited), but still renders many sites useless.

My current strategy is a modified setting in my ad blocker, in which I've removed the filter for ad blocking (out of fairness towards the publishers), but added filter lists for tracking, adware, malware domains, ad block detection scripts, anti ad block components, social media elements and general annoyances. Like that, about a third of advertising comes through (all of which, I hope, is not able to track me), and as for 3rd party cookies, only the most notorious (evil) ones are blocked.

To me, that's a reasonable middle way which doesn't deprive the publishers of their ad money, and gets rid of most and the worst of the user tracking, but probably not all of it.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS