"Updating Library Catalog" when no new resources have been added (Version 8.7 RC1)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 18 2019 4:27 PM

Since updating to Version 8.7 RC1, when I start Logos, the Library browser says "Updating Library Catalog. List May be Incomplete" when I type in a word to filter the list. The message stays up for nearly 1 1/2 minutes every time I restart the program, despite the fact that I have not added any resources or updated the program version in some time. Nothing changes in the list of available resources during this time.

If it is not a bug, it is odd behavior.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2019 5:04 PM

That is unusual. What/where are you typing?

Initiate permanent logging, start Logos and upload logs when it next occurs.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 13348
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2019 1:19 AM

Harry Hahne:
"Updating Library Catalog. List May be Incomplete"

Many things can cause the library catalog to be updated:

1. New resources being added
  2. Existing resources being updated
  3. Resource metadata being updated by Faithlife
  4. Tags and other metadata being changed locally
  5. Tags and other metadata syncing from other installations
  6. Community metadata updating

The most likely cause of library catalog updates on restart is (3) – but it shouldn't happen on every restart unless you use Logos only very occasionally. 

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2019 5:52 AM

I also get this behaviour on my Mac each time I start Logos, even if I didn't purchased anything and no updates downloaded. 

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2019 2:20 PM

Here is a log file. I am running Windows 10.

I started the program with Ctrl key held, so I would start with a fresh layout.

All I did was open the Library browser and enter a word in the filter. The "Updating Library Catalog" message was there for about 30 seconds.

3386.Logos Logo 08-19-19 1412.zip

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2019 2:21 PM

I also notice that the message appears from time to time while I am using the program. With the Library browser open in a tab, the message comes and goes. It can stay up for quite a long time.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2019 3:53 PM

Harry Hahne:

There are some expected downloads which cannot be found. So delete the following folders and restart Logos:-

• C:\Users\hh\AppData\Local\Logos\Data\0ll350nb.3sy\DownloadManager
  • C:\Users\hh\AppData\Local\Logos\Data\0ll350nb.3sy\UpdateManager

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2019 6:37 PM

Harry,

Has deleting these folders helped?

Armin

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 5:16 PM

Armin:

A download job cannot be found. So delete the following folders and restart Logos:-

Users/eberlein/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/d5641vkc.6jn/DownloadManager.

Users/eberlein/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data/d5641vkc.6jn/UpdateManager.

The log shows that processing some collection rules is taking a long time e.g.

LibraryCatalog | (258ms, exceeded 250ms) Searching for all records matching:

Type:Commentary AND (Subject:Habakkuk,Title:(Habakkuk,”Horae Homileticae Vol. 10”,”Series: The Minor Prophets”,”Prophets of the Old Testament, Vol. 3”))
Type:Commentary AND (Subject:Habakkuk,Title:(Habakkuk,”Horae Homileticae Vol. 10”,”Series: The Minor Prophets”,”Prophets of the Old Testament, Vol. 3”))
Type:Commentary AND (Subject:Haggai,Title:(Haggai,”Horae Homileticae Vol. 10”,”Series: The Minor Prophets”,”Prophets of the Old Testament Vol. 5”))
Type:Commentary AND (Subject:Zephaniah,Title:(Zephaniah,”Horae Homileticae Vol. 10”,”Series: The Minor Prophets”,”Prophets of the Old Testament, Vol. 3”))

----> In each of those, you don't need ”Horae Homileticae Vol. 10” because the Subject: contains the book name. You should be able to remove the whole Title:(,,,,) because Type:Commentary AND Subject:Zephaniah should be sufficient.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 9:10 PM

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your comments. I deleted the two directories and fixed the collection rules you mentioned. But things are still a bit slow.

However, your comments have helped me interpret some of the log files and I noticed that my collections seem to slow things down. I may need to go through my collections and delete what I haven't used in a long time. 

Armin

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2019 11:11 PM

Armin:
I may need to go through my collections and delete what I haven't used in a long time. 

Good idea. You have 1507 "collections", which is quite substantial, even though not all come from the Collections tool. 

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 1:47 AM

Hi Dave,

Please excuse my ignorance. Where do these collections come from if they are not from the collections tool? 

Armin

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 2:55 PM

Armin:
Where do these collections come from if they are not from the collections tool? 

The other "collections" come from your tags, ratings, and series. But dynamic Collection rules have the biggest effect. Consider using the Extension Syntax for long rules (simplify shorter ones as I showed above).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:42 PM

Armin:

Harry,

Has deleting these folders helped?

Armin

No. I still get the same message in the Library browser.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 3:23 PM

Harry Hahne:

Please provide new logs.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1007
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 8:05 PM

Dave Hooton:

Harry Hahne:

Please provide new logs.

Here is another set of log files. I started the program with Ctrl held down. Opened the Library browser and entered Josephus. It did not say Updating until I entered Josphus and then the message was up for about 1 minute. I have not updated the software in several days.

Thanks.

8311.Logos 08-27-19 2001.zip

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 8:05 PM

Harry Hahne:

Same here. After deleting many collections, the message still appears for several minutes.

Posts 24851
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2019 4:55 PM

Harry Hahne:
Here is another set of log files. I started the program with Ctrl held down. Opened the Library browser and entered Josephus. It did not say Updating until I entered Josphus and then the message was up for about 1 minute. I have not updated the software in several days.

The library catalog update was due to a metadata update. Metadata is checked frequently and the catalog is updated if there are any changes.

It is not connected to your input.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 737
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2019 7:44 PM

Dave Hooton:

The library catalog update was due to a metadata update. Metadata is checked frequently and the catalog is updated if there are any changes.

It is not connected to your input.

But should this result in delays each time I start Logos?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS