MAC Dev broken into: All Computers Gone

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 1:48 PM

David Mitchell:

To address a few of your concerns:

• Yes, the computers were insured.
  • Yes, everyone is OK. My understanding is the offices were unoccupied at the time of the theft (except for the thieves, of course)
  • Yes, the vast majority of the data was backed up on servers in Bellingham.
  • No, this will not affect the release date for Alpha 22. The only thing that could cause a slip at this point is the discovery of a show-stopping bug.

I'll be heading down to Bellevue tomorrow to help oversee the replacement of hardware, forming an inventory of what was stolen for the police/insurance company, etc.

This shouldn't set us back very far.

So glad to hear it David...very glad....praise God.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:02 PM

David Mitchell:

To address a few of your concerns:

• Yes, the computers were insured.
  • Yes, everyone is OK. My understanding is the offices were unoccupied at the time of the theft (except for the thieves, of course)
  • No, this will not affect the release date for Alpha 22. The only thing that could cause a slip at this point is the discovery of a show-stopping bug.

Well this is as good news as one could want for in this kind of situation.

Since there were only two Mac developers and one worked from home replacing the hardware shouldn't be too hard. (OK, there are way more than two, and it will be a bit of a pain for all of them. Just poking fun at the Mac side of the house.)

Thanks for the report.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:10 PM

Glad no one at Logos was in harm's way during the burglary.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:16 PM

Imagine stolen computers had some Logos passwords - wonder about customer data ?

Idea Changing passwords may be prudent.

Likewise praying for God's perfect peace and direction.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:23 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Since there were only two Mac developers and one worked from home replacing the hardware shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, we have more developers assigned to the Mac team than the Windows team right now—seven in Bellevue and seven in Bellingham (if you count me as being in Bellingham), as well as two interns.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:28 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Imagine stolen computers had some Logos passwords - wonder about customer data ?

No, they did not—all of the stolen computers were assigned to contractors and contained no information that could be used to access any of your personal data.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:35 PM

David Mitchell:
Actually, we have more developers assigned to the Mac team than the Windows team right now—seven in Bellevue and seven in Bellingham (if you count me as being in Bellingham), as well as two interns.

That's bound to make the Mac users happy.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:39 PM

David Mitchell:
Actually, we have more developers assigned to the Mac team than the Windows team right now

Well, I WAS happy... Angry

Just kidding.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:40 PM

Very sad to hear of your loss. At least no one was hurt, but the sense of violation is painful. I'll be praying for you all. 

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:51 PM

Robert Pavich:
Well, I WAS happy... Angry

Yeah - I understand.   Not only are there more developers, but they will have the fastest, shiniest, glitziest (sp?) computers around.  Hey, that sounds like motive.  (That is intended to be a joke. Smile)

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:57 PM

Floyd Johnson:
they will have the fastest, shiniest, glitziest (sp?) computers aro

Bob is being tight with his PC developers?

Remember he has to pay at least double for the Mac developers gear over what he pays for the PC guys and gals stuff. In fairness the PC developers gear should be shiner. It'd still cost less.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3859
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:00 PM

Okay, not fastest, shiniest, glitziest - but newest.  Smile

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:16 PM

David Mitchell:

Matthew C Jones:
Didn't the team leader have his office inside a safe?

No, that was Martin. Although I have been accused of being a cave troll, I do prefer an office with a window (even if I keep the blinds shut most of the time…). You can even see it in my profile picture!

Sorry brother. I pray the details of police reports, insurance, et. al. don't create too much of a burden for you or your team. Just another reminder of life this side of  Genesis 3:6.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Mark A. Smith:
Bob is being tight with his PC developers?

Far from it. Both teams have pretty nice equipment. A few of us, such as myself, who have worked on both teams in the past 12 months actually have our development-class setup for both Windows and Mac.

The biggest disparity between the machines isn't raw horsepower, but development tools. I'm a Mac guy, through and through, but Visual Studio 2008 w/ ReSharper easily puts Xcode 3.2 to shame.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 3:42 PM

Cameron Watters:
but Visual Studio 2008 w/ ReSharper easily puts Xcode 3.2 to shame

I tried to tell you guys.

We will welcome any prodigals back to our side.  Just start working on some of the extra PCs we have sitting around. There's the Notes project, the PBB project, the soon-to-be lo-jack project. Cool

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 258
Aaron Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:15 PM

Bob just posted the following on twitter about 20 minutes ago:

"Burglary of @Logos Mac team satellite office just a hassle. Machines had no access to Logos servers, most work backed up. "

http://twitter.com/BobPritchett/status/16102834460

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:16 PM

Cameron Watters:

The biggest disparity between the machines isn't raw horsepower, but development tools. I'm a Mac guy, through and through, but Visual Studio 2008 w/ ReSharper easily puts Xcode 3.2 to shame.

I second this. I have worked extensively in both environments (more so in VS though) and while XCode/IB has a certain elegance to it Visual Studio stomps it when it comes to productivity. I do wish Microsoft would be more architecture centric though. XCode really forces an MVC approach to developing which I think is excellent. Microsoft went down that road with ASP.NET MVC for the webz but they kinda blew it on the WPF side of the show. I have looked at the MVVM architecture and don't think the implementation is very solid. Do you know what broad architecture the Windows devs use? Is is MVVM or a more traditional forms/event-centric approach?

Posts 19351
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 4:30 PM

David Mitchell:

That must be some neat trick, as according to Bob's tweet, "Machines had no access to Logos servers."

I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but still, what a hassle! Praying for everything to go smoothly in getting the developers back up and running quickly, and the perpetrators apprehended.

Posts 116
B. J. Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:26 PM

Just got home from church and found this news. So sorry for the inconvenience. Couldn't help but think of Matthew Henry's quote at a time like this. On the night he was robbed, he wrote:

“I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before;

second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life;

third, because although they took my all, it was not much;

and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed.”

What an attitude! Glad no one was hurt.

B. J. Clarke

Posts 662
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 7:46 PM

I'm sure Bob enabled these computers with Computer Lo-Jack. Shall we gather a posse and get our clubs, pitchforks, and torches together?

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS