MAC Dev broken into: All Computers Gone

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 8:25 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Remember he has to pay at least double for the Mac developers gear over what he pays for the PC guys and gals stuff.

You'd be surprised. Once you throw in the cost of software for development machines, Windows development boxes cost more (last time I checked).

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 31
Clive Walters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 13 2010 11:41 PM

MAtthew Henry quote very apposite and, having been burgled years ago, I add my dismay ot the violation and recognise the emotional damage can long outlast any physical issues. So very interesting to me ... and I looked for the reference. I could not find it, though I did find this:

"March 8, 1713, London.—I preached Mr. Rosewell's evening lecture, Ps. 89.16, 'The joyful sound.' As I came home I was robbed, The thieves took from me about ten or eleven shillings. My remarks upon it were,—1. What reason have I to be thankful to God, who have travelled so much, and yet was never robbed before. 2. What a deal of evil the love of money is the root of, that four men would venture their lives and souls for about half-a-crown a-piece. 3. See the power of Satan in the children of disobedience. 4. See the vanity of worldly wealth; how soon we may be stripped of it. How loose, therefore, we should sit to it."

http://www.wholesomewords.org/biography/bhenry3.html

Perhaps he later reflected on the event, and summarised it differently. Would like to know the reference if possible.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 12:10 AM

CliveWalters:

MAtthew Henry quote very apposite and, having been burgled years ago, I add my dismay ot the violation and recognise the emotional damage can long outlast any physical issues. So very interesting to me ... and I looked for the reference. I could not find it, though I did find this:

"March 8, 1713, London.—I preached Mr. Rosewell's evening lecture, Ps. 89.16, 'The joyful sound.' As I came home I was robbed, The thieves took from me about ten or eleven shillings. My remarks upon it were,—1. What reason have I to be thankful to God, who have travelled so much, and yet was never robbed before. 2. What a deal of evil the love of money is the root of, that four men would venture their lives and souls for about half-a-crown a-piece. 3. See the power of Satan in the children of disobedience. 4. See the vanity of worldly wealth; how soon we may be stripped of it. How loose, therefore, we should sit to it."

Perhaps he later reflected on the event, and summarised it differently. Would like to know the reference if possible.

It reminds me one situation I have experienced some years ago when on Sunday morning worship service I used an illustration in my sermon about one man who was robbed but as he faced the damage, he said: "its nothing important, it's just money. All important things remained safe. I am still saved, I have my loving wife, my children, my health..."

On Wednesday, just 3 days later, our house was robbed. As I entered house and called police, I remembered that illustration and, believe me, it helped me so much, I repeated to myself: "it's just money, it's just money... all important things are OK Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:40 AM

BJClarke:

Just got home from church and found this news. So sorry for the inconvenience. Couldn't help but think of Matthew Henry's quote at a time like this. On the night he was robbed, he wrote:

“I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before;

second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life;

third, because although they took my all, it was not much;

and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed.”

What an attitude! Glad no one was hurt.

B. J. Clarke

What a great quote...I'm going to remember that.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:29 AM

CliveWalters:

Matthew Henry quote very apposite and, having been burgled years ago, I add my dismay ot the violation and recognise the emotional damage can long outlast any physical issues. So very interesting to me ... and I looked for the reference. I could not find it, though I did find this:

Couldn't find the other version of it, but the bit you quoted above is from p. 13 of his memoirs, which are available in entirety on Google Books.

Wikiquote has a little more info about the attribution of this quote:

Misquoted

I thank Thee first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse they did not take my life; third, because although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth because it was I who was robbed, and not I who robbed.

First reported in Arnold Gingrich, Coronet, Volume 17‎ (1944), which characterizes the quote as a diary entry. A much earlier report in "Life of the Rev. Matthew Henry", in Christian Biography (1799), p. 66, has Henry writing:

What reason have I to be thankful to God, that having travelled so much, yet I was never robbed before now. 2. What abundance of evil this love of money is the root of, that four men should venture their lives and souls for ubout half-a-crown a-piece. 3. See the power of Satan working in the children of disobedience. 4. The vanity of worldly wealth—how soon we may be stript of it, how loose we ought to sit to it.

I guess to check it out for sure, one would have to visit the Bodleian Library and request to see the "Papers of Philip and Matthew Henry" which contain his diary from 1705-1713. These papers were only given to the library in 1949, which might explain why Arnold Gingrich could have had private access to them already in 1944, but the Christian Biography account from 1799 might not have (Henry had died in 1714, so his descendants might have still had tight control over his papers). So it remains a mystery...  I love this kind of mystery! (Unfortunately, I don't think members of the public have access to the Bodleian; I think you have to be an Oxford student, faculty, or staff member.)

Posts 10805
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:14 AM

Robert Pavich:

David Mitchell:
Actually, we have more developers assigned to the Mac team than the Windows team right now

Well, I WAS happy... Angry

Perhaps we should ask, "And where were you when the crime occurred? Can anyone verify that you were not in Washington?" Big Smile

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 4:57 AM

Rosie Perera:
Couldn't find the other version of it, but the bit you quoted above is from p. 13 of his memoirs, which are available in entirety on Google Books.

Time to see that work in Logos!

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:01 AM

Maybe the Windows developers just borrowed them to see how a good app is developed. Big Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 5:06 AM

Jack:
Perhaps we should ask, "And where were you when the crime occurred? Can anyone verify that you were not in Washington?" Big Smile

I'm being framed! I was no where near Bellingham!!

Dennis Miller:

Maybe the Windows developers just borrowed them to see how a good app is developed. Big Smile

Now them's fightin' words!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 72
Mariano Proto | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 7:31 AM

If they are working with MACs they can detect where the MACs go like the Iphone 

Posts 120
David Manning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 9:01 AM

They could detect them if they have Lojack .. Hopefully so ....Smile

MacBook Pro 15" Retina 1TB Flash 2.8 Quad i7 16 GB Ram OSX 10.13.4

iMac 27"3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 - 32 GB Ram 10.13.4

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Mark A. Smith:
Remember he has to pay at least double for the Mac developers gear over what he pays for the PC guys and gals stuff. In fairness the PC developers gear should be shiner. It'd still cost less.

While still popular among the PC-faithful, the "Mac hardware is wildly overpriced" assertion was debunked about 2 years ago here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985-2.html I suspect the assertion is less apt today than it was then.

Yes, you can get low-end PCs that are cheaper than the lowest-end Macs, but if you actually talk about outfitting a PC that is comparable to a given Mac, the price differential FOR JUST THE HARDWARE is minimal. The article linked above actually does a part-by-part breakdown. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Apple's cases and overall build quality are far superior to that of most PC manufacturers.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:17 PM

While the situation is sad, my gut reaction was another Mac Bible Software company had stooped to espionage. Big Smile

****David frantically works on and locks his study and re-assigns passwords on his Mac, all while looking over his shoulder*****

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 2:55 PM

David Buckham:

While the situation is sad, my gut reaction was another Mac Bible Software company had stooped to espionage. Big Smile

****David frantically works on and locks his study and re-assigns passwords on his Mac, all while looking over his shoulder*****

I thought the the same thing. I saw the A-Team this weekend and thought maybe the other bible software company hired them to get the laptops to see how a real program is made. (WOW did I really just say that?)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:12 PM

On Earth know not why.  In Heaven, robbery permitted.

Wonder about glorifying answers for Logos prayer requests ?

From past experience, know God works in wondrous ways (with perfect timing).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:15 PM

Cameron Watters:
Yes, you can get low-end PCs that are cheaper than the lowest-end Macs, but if you actually talk about outfitting a PC that is comparable to a given Mac, the price differential FOR JUST THE HARDWARE is minimal. The article linked above actually does a part-by-part breakdown. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Apple's cases and overall build quality are far superior to that of most PC manufacturers.

Yes +1

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Jerry Walker:
thought maybe the other bible software company hired them to get the laptops to see how a real program is made.

Brutal.

Anyway, just so everyone's fantasy worlds are moderately accurate, they were iMacs, not MacBooks.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:29 PM

Paul Golder:

DominicM:
I pray for the CSI's and police as they investigate that You would lead them to the right people.

This may prove fruitful. Taking into consideration that all processors are electronically branded these days.

What !?  No campfire with irons and the shouts of "Giddee-up doggies"?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Additionally, the office that was robbed is getting back up and running as we speak.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 14 2010 3:52 PM

Cameron Watters:

Additionally, the office that was robbed is getting back up and running as we speak.

Thats great to hear. That is really great to hear.

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS