Search for Interrogatives

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 26 2019 11:03 AM

Hey all

I'm trying to find all interrogative sentences in Luke.Can anyone help? 

{Section <Sentence ~ Interrogative>} does NOT work.

Like so many others, Logos search functions baffle me. To add to the frustration, parameters change over time, so that the templates no longer function and the Help chat person told me to dismiss search strings I find on the forum that are for earlier versions (eg, Logos 7). Crazy!

Thanks for any help you can offer

Posts 491
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 12:17 PM

This one works 

{Section <Sentence ~ Interrogative>} AND {Section <SpeechAct = Info: Quest>}

Posts 108
Lane McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 12:40 PM

Try the Bible Browser.

1. Click Bible Books and choose New Testament, then Luke to get all the verses in Luke.

2 Click on Sentences Types and then choose Interrogative Sentence.

Hope this helps.

Lane

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 6:08 PM

Thanks Robert. Unfortunately, it is still returning 0 results for me. Could it be due to the fact that I have not purchased the full feature set for Logos 8?

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 6:09 PM

Thanks Lane, I know for certain that I do not have Bible Browser functionality because I've not upgraded my feature set.  But I thought surely there would be a way to make such a simple search with a version of the software that is just a couple years old.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2019 6:17 PM

Robert Esperat:
{Section <Sentence ~ Interrogative>} does NOT work.

What Bible are you searching? It has to be one that FL has coded for this information. Edit: it needs to be an original language text or a version that has a RI (and it currently is only coded for Greek). For example, it won't work for the REB, but it does work for the ESV and NASB95.

You do need to own or have a license for the Sentence Types and Speech Acts datasets, as well.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8
Robert Esperat | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:04 PM

I'm searching ESV. How do I know which datasets I have access to? 

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:26 PM

Robert Esperat:

In Logos click on the three vertical dots on the upper right hand side of the page. Select About Logos Bible Software. The left hand column in the panel that opens has a list of all the datasets you have. The datasets you want to check are under the grouping "Supplemental Data"

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 491
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:28 PM

Search your library for “dataset documentation“

you are looking for the one that says Sentence Types

Posts 491
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 12:31 PM

Looks like you need either Bronze or full feature upgrade 

Posts 18666
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2019 1:26 PM

Mark Smith:

Robert Esperat:

In Logos click on the three vertical dots on the upper right hand side of the page. Select About Logos Bible Software. The left hand column in the panel that opens has a list of all the datasets you have. The datasets you want to check are under the grouping "Supplemental Data"

Alternative search for {Section <Sentence ~ Interrogative>} is Morph Search for Interrogative words (adverB, Relative pronoun, parTicle):

<LogosMorphGr ~ BI> OR <LogosMorphGr ~ RI?????> OR <LogosMorphGr ~ TI>

"Supplemental Data" does not have DB:SD-SENTENCE-TYPES nor DB:SD-SPEECH-ACTS in my demonstration Faithlife account, which has an order total of $ 0.00 (so replicated {Section <Sentence ~ Interrogative>} and {Section <SpeechAct = Info: Quest>} returning 0 results). Thankful for Logos 8 upgrade purchase including free gift of Logos 7 Fundamentals (ESV plus more).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS