Dual Monitor or Wide/ Curve Screen

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2285
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 31 2019 10:07 PM

I am still mapping out what I want to get when I do my computer upgrade. My thought is that a machine with a decent video card would make it possible to pull up Logos on one screen and my wordprocessor on another. Or just side by side on a widescreen monitor. This would make it really practical. Any thoughts on this in Windows 10? 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1430
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 10:50 PM

I have two monitors and I am very happy with that. No experience on extra wide curved screen. 

The screens I have now are of different sizes and different resolutions which is not optimal. If I were starting anew, I might buy three similar screens and use a curved setup.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 29
Dave Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2019 11:10 PM

If you have the desk space it doesn't have to be one or the other. I use two 27" curved screen monitors with Logos and love it. It did take me a while to get used to feeling almost surrounded by monitor, but once you get over the initial adjustment, it is really nice.

Posts 40
Linval London | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 3:31 AM

I have a 39" ultrawide and I find having logos alongside my wordprocessor works pretty well.  The only thing I would suggest is that you get at least a 1440 resolution monitor (mine is a 1080p) as the extra resolution will be a bit better in keeping everything sharp as you work.  Just my two cents...  

Posts 640
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 4:30 AM

I have two 24 inch monitors side by side.  I love the set up.  I can have Logos on one, and either my word processor or internet on the other.  If needed, I can minimize programs to take half a monitor, opening up space for 4 applications opened.  To have two monitors, you need a good graphics card.  Not a top of the line gaming card, but a good one.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce that is getting some age now, but has worked wonderfully for me.  My computer is about to be 10 years old.

My next upgrade (whenever that day comes?) will be for a SSD instead of the common hard drive.  Everyone says this will speed up Logos considerably.

Posts 13
Ryland Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 4:57 AM

I have two 24" monitors and this has been a great setup for me.  

I got a new computer at the office with an SSD and was amazed how much faster Logos sped up.  I'm currently getting components to build a new computer at the house with Logos in mind.  It'll have an M.2 SSD hard drive, 16 GB of RAM, built on a Ryzen 5 3600 chip.  Should be great for Logos. 

Posts 2285
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2019 11:43 PM

This info is very useful. I did some more looking and whatever monitor/monitors I pick will need to be paired to a suitable graphics card. The higher res monitors call for a better level of support.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 14
Colin Pretorius | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 2 2019 12:46 AM

I use a 3-monitor setup on my 10+year old system, running on Windows 10 (not quite the latest update) and it works very well for me. The graphics card is AMD Radeon 5700 based - again fairly old but has performed more than adequately. 

I've not used the larger curved monitors on my setup, but would support the suggestion of getting the highest possible resolution.

And if you do end up going the two-monitor route, I would recommend having the same make and model.

regards

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 2 2019 4:09 AM

mab:

This info is very useful. I did some more looking and whatever monitor/monitors I pick will need to be paired to a suitable graphics card. The higher res monitors call for a better level of support.

If you're not gaming or editing video, you probably don't need to worry about a graphics card. My graphics card died recently, and I've temporarily switched to onboard graphics. (My onboard graphics supports both HDMI and DVI, so I have one monitor in each port.) So far, I haven't noticed any difference in speed.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS