Starting a new note select a whole lexicon article

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 4 2019 1:37 PM

I started the note tool and clicked on New Note. The entire lexicon article that I had been reading was selected for the note anchor. I would think just adding the note anchor icon to the beginning of the note would be sufficient to anchor it to the article. It is annoying to have the whole article highlighted.

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 1:46 PM

That's because you have both a note icon and a highlighting style chosen. If you go into the note and set the highlighting style to none it should only display the note icon.

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 1:47 PM

Unfortunately, when when selected and deleted another note within the article it deleted the note I had created for the whole article at the same time.

I wish the notes system had an Undo command after deleting a note. The ability to press Ctrl+Z to reverse whatever disastrous action you just took is pretty standard for most programs.

Posts 2562
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 2:06 PM

Harry Hahne:

Unfortunately, when when selected and deleted another note within the article it deleted the note I had created for the whole article at the same time.

I wish the notes system had an Undo command after deleting a note. The ability to press Ctrl+Z to reverse whatever disastrous action you just took is pretty standard for most programs.

If you open the sidebar in the Note Tool, at the very bottom there is a trash icon. If you click on that you'll find your deleted notes.

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 2:09 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

That's because you have both a note icon and a highlighting style chosen. If you go into the note and set the highlighting style to none it should only display the note icon.

The delete behavior seems inconsistent. If I select a highlight and selected Delete Notes and Highlights from the context menu, it deletes both the selected highlight and the larger note on the article. But if I select the highlight the press Ctrl+Shift+K, it only deletes the highlight. The latter is the behavior I would expect.

Also, somehow in my experimenting with deleting notes and highlights in the article, I ended up with 2 orphaned notes that are anchored to the article, but do not display by highlighting or showing an icon. I am trying to replicate this, but so far not success.

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 2:10 PM

Philana R. Crouch:
If you open the sidebar in the Note Tool, at the very bottom there is a trash icon. If you click on that you'll find your deleted notes.

Sweet. Thanks!

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 2:54 PM

Harry Hahne:
The delete behavior seems inconsistent. If I select a highlight and selected Delete Notes and Highlights from the context menu, it deletes both the selected highlight and the larger note on the article. But if I select the highlight the press Ctrl+Shift+K, it only deletes the highlight. The latter is the behavior I would expect.

"Delete Notes and Highlights" does what it says! If you right click a word, or selected text, that is part of both a note and a highlight, both will be deleted. Erase (Ctrl+Shift+K) only works on the Highlighting that you have selected, so it can split an existing highlight into two. In cases like this, it is safer to delete the appropriate annotation in the Notes tool.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2019 3:26 PM

Harry Hahne:
Also, somehow in my experimenting with deleting notes and highlights in the article, I ended up with 2 orphaned notes that are anchored to the article, but do not display by highlighting or showing an icon. I am trying to replicate this, but so far not success.

It looks like both the default Note Icon and Highlight Style ended up as "None". In my experimenting, I also had results that were unexpected. Do you know how you ended up with the 2x BDAG notes vs. the 2 x lemma notes (in DBL Greek, it depended on the active reference, but if that was "DBL Greek 27" that was what I got in the note). What is the anchor on your BDAG notes?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 1:42 AM

Dave Hooton:

Harry Hahne:

It looks like both the default Note Icon and Highlight Style ended up as "None". In my experimenting, I also had results that were unexpected. Do you know how you ended up with the 2x BDAG notes vs. the 2 x lemma notes (in DBL Greek, it depended on the active reference, but if that was "DBL Greek 27" that was what I got in the note). What is the anchor on your BDAG notes?

I don't know how I ended up with the orphaned notes. I was experimenting with seeing what would be deleted when I deleted a note anchored to the whole article and some notes and highlights also in the article. It was while doing this that the notes and highlights ended up with only the icon and highlight turned off, but the note remained in the Notes tool. I tried different versions of selection, such as just a note within the article and just a highlight within the article and some other selection within the article. Unfortunately, I could note replicate the orphans.

All four of the orphans are in BDAG and all are in the same ἀπόστολος article. It is odd that 2 of them report the article name as the anchor and the other 2 report just BDAG as the anchor. The 2 that report BDAG as the anchor were originally highlighted text within the ἀπόστολος article.

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 1:49 AM

Dave Hooton:
"Delete Notes and Highlights" does what it says! If you right click a word, or selected text, that is part of both a note and a highlight, both will be deleted. Erase (Ctrl+Shift+K) only works on the Highlighting that you have selected, so it can split an existing highlight into two. In cases like this, it is safer to delete the appropriate annotation in the Notes tool.

I never realized that these were different commands. I always thought of Ctrl+Shift+K as a keyboard shortcut for the delete highlight command. In older Logos versions, I usually deleted highlights with Ctrl+Shift+K, but sometimes from the Context menu.

I am not sure that most users would appreciate the subtle difference between Delete and Erase.

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:40 PM

Harry Hahne:
Unfortunately, I could note replicate the orphans.

That is the frustrating aspect of "edge" cases like these in lexicons. There is definitely a problem with getting the correct note link and/or anchor link where lexicons are indexed by datatypes in addition to lemma (or Greek/Hebrew headwords). I might try to reproduce other cases when I get the time/inclination (or Faithlife might pick it up from this thread).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 5 2019 2:56 PM

Harry Hahne:

I never realized that these were different commands. I always thought of Ctrl+Shift+K as a keyboard shortcut for the delete highlight command. ...

I am not sure that most users would appreciate the subtle difference between Delete and Erase.

If referring only to the highlight command (Ctrl+Shift+K), Logos Help describes it as "Erase Highlighting". And it will delete a highlight provided you select all the words, else it will erase only the portion you select.

If you want to unambiguously delete, then use the Context menu (with the caveat above) or the Notes tool.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS