Bug: Cursor is locked in pointing finger & forcing scrolling [8.8 Beta 3]

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 10 2019 1:15 PM

I have the Notes tool and a Bible open, among other things. I selected text in the Bible and pressed Ctrl+K to highlight it. I then went to my notebook to try to find the note with the highlights. Now when I hover the mouse pointer over the notes or the scrollbar next to the notes, the list of notes scrolls. I don't have to touch anything in the notebook -- I just hover over the notes or the scrollbar by the notes.

It probably had nothing to do with pressing Ctrl+K, but that is when it started.

I could only get out of this state but restarting the program.

I will let you know if I can make it happen again.

Logos 8.8 Beta 3 on Windows 10

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 1:25 PM

I restarted Logos with logging on. I opened only the NASB and Notes. I highlighted text with Ctrl+K. I scrolled down in the notes. Then the mouse pointer changed to the pointing finger and hovering over the note scroll bar or notes scrolls in the list of notes.

The attached log should record this bug. I hope this helps.

4113.Logos 09-10-19 1318.zip

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2019 1:45 PM

See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cursor-stuck-on-grab-and-drag-hand-grrrrr/d76e3469-f022-44ee-b243-a264c464ffcd or similar MS articles

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 12:07 PM

Harry Hahne:

I have the Notes tool and a Bible open, among other things. I selected text in the Bible and pressed Ctrl+K to highlight it. I then went to my notebook to try to find the note with the highlights. Now when I hover the mouse pointer over the notes or the scrollbar next to the notes, the list of notes scrolls. I don't have to touch anything in the notebook -- I just hover over the notes or the scrollbar by the notes.

It probably had nothing to do with pressing Ctrl+K, but that is when it started.

I could only get out of this state but restarting the program.

I will let you know if I can make it happen again.

Logos 8.8 Beta 3 on Windows 10

Harry,

I'm not able to reproduce this on my end. Did the article MJ posted help fix things?

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 2:52 PM

Philana R. Crouch:
I'm not able to reproduce this on my end. Did the article MJ posted help fix things?

No. That was not the issue. In a previous message I submitted a log that includes when the problem occurred. So it ought to be possible to see what is happening.

When I add a highlight, the focus of the notes does not change to the new highlight. Scrolling through 2724 notes to get to the note/highlight is a tedious waste of time. Ctrl+End does not go to the last note where the new highlight is added. It only goes to the last one that is currently loaded in memory. This is also a bug.

To find the note/highlight I have to scroll down to what appears to be the bottom of the lists of notes with the scrollbar or Ctrl+End. Then the note list loads a new batch of notes loads in the Note list. I do this repeatedly hoping to eventually get to the real end of the notes where my new note is. After a few pressings of Ctrl+End and dragging the scroll bar, eventually I get to a unfixable Pointing Hand mouse cursor. It does not right away -- only after a few times of scrolling the list. I just made it happen again.

Once it happens, pointing anywhere near the scroll bar makes the text scroll in the list of notes. When this happens, my notes tool is useless until I restart the program. The pointing hand only appears while in the notes area. When I hover over the notes scrollbar it is as if I clicked under the scroll bar. I point above or below the scroll bar and the list scrolls without clicking or dragging the scrollbar.

Using Version 8.8 beta 3 on Windows 10.

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 3:06 PM

I get a similar sporadic problem of an inappropriate pointing finger that won't reset when I have library activity updating in the background. If I move the cursor outside the Verbum window, it resets to the correct pointer.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2635
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 3:08 PM

Harry Hahne:

When I add a highlight, the focus of the notes does not change to the new highlight. Scrolling through 2724 notes to get to the note/highlight is a tedious waste of time. Ctrl+End does not go to the last note where the new highlight is added. It only goes to the last one that is currently loaded in memory. This is also a bug.

Harry,

I'll try to spend some time recreating your bug, it might take me a few days since I will be out of the office tomorrow. To help things work a little easier for you in the meantime. If you are trying to get to the most recently created note, you can sort your notes "by Date Created" this should bring the most recent note to the top of the list.

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 10:24 PM

MJ. Smith:

I get a similar sporadic problem of an inappropriate pointing finger that won't reset when I have library activity updating in the background. If I move the cursor outside the Verbum window, it resets to the correct pointer.

Once the problem happens to me, if the mouse pointer is outside of the notes it is normal. Then when I hover over the notes areas, it returns to the finger. Hovering over the scroll bar in the notes causes the notes to scroll. Clicking on a note makes no difference. Nothing short of shutting down Logos fixes it.

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2019 10:25 PM

Philana R. Crouch:
I'll try to spend some time recreating your bug, it might take me a few days

No rush. Just trying to be informative.

Posts 13
Jesse Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 8:19 PM

I have the same problem (except my cursor doesn't change). With Notes and my Bible open in 2 panes, the mouse acts as a scroller in my Noates EVERY TIME I move from one pane to the next by moving over the scroll bar. So if I am reaching for search tab in pane 2 and move the cursor past the scroll bar, then my Notes shoots up to the very top. Or likewise, if I reach for the bottom of my Bible tab and pass the Notes scroll bar, then my Notes shoots to the very bottom. Or if I reach for a verse at all, it'll move my Notes up and down. This is obviously frustrating, because when I'm writing notes, I want to be looking at the Notes where I'm at, not where I was or where I'm going! I take all this time to find my correct place again, then go to my Bible pane, but then when I bring the cursor back to the Notes pane, it all happens again! Super annoying. A bug fix would be awesome.

Thanks.

Posts 1014
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 13 2019 2:15 PM

Jesse Adams:
I have the same problem (except my cursor doesn't change). With Notes and my Bible open in 2 panes, the mouse acts as a scroller in my Noates EVERY TIME I move from one pane to the next by moving over the scroll bar.

I use notes and Bible in a similar arrangement. For me, when Logos gets into this state, the only solution is the restart the program. It is frustrating to lose my place in the notes.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS