LXX verse order

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 786
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 19 2019 7:40 AM

Every LXX  in my Logos library swaps the order of verses in Deuteronomy 5:17-18 so that "adultery" comes  before "murder."

I have scoured my library (and even prayed to St. Google) without finding any explanation. Does anyone know of a resource that addresses this anomaly?

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 9:12 AM

Jack, I'm not sure what explanation would be appropriate. Not just the order, but the aggregating (before verses). It was as it was. And so, commentaries for Matthew often point to the LXX as the closest match.

The Logos resource "The Dead Sea Scrolls and Modern Translations of the Old Testament" has a good presentation between the scrolls, Masorete, and various LXX. Specifically, the Nash papyri hints at an early liturgical combining of the LXX comandments sequence (in hebrew) and the shema. Emphasis, hints.

Posts 789
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 9:46 AM

It's been years since I've done much LXX analysis, but Weinfeld's Anchor Bible volume cites the explanation Cross gives:

17–18. you shall not murder and you shall not commit adultery and you shall not steal. This order is found in LXX (ACO), Samaritan Deut and Exod, Peshitta Deut and Exod, MT Deut and Exod, 4Q Dtn (White, ibid., p. 280), 4Q Phyl. B (DJD 6.52) XQ Phyl. 3 (Yadin, ibid.), 1Q Phyl. (DJD 1.73), Matt 5:21, 19:18, Mark 10:19; and compare Josephus, Antiquities, 3:92. According to the system of F. Cross, this order reflects the Old Palestinian group; see White ibid., p. 283.
In LXX Vaticanus, LXX Exod (LC), Nash Papyrus, Luke 18:20, Rom 13:9, and Jas 2:11, the order is: adultery, murder, and theft. Cf. also Philo, On the Decalogue, 21; Special Laws 3:8; “Who Is the Heir?”, p. 173. According to F. Cross this reflects the Egyptian text group (White, ibid., p. 284).

Posts 786
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2019 10:07 AM

Thanks to both of you.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS