The rational of prioritization of Lexicons. I think it should be different.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 6:49 AM

Nielsen Tomazini:

Hello everyone,

I saw that there are a couple of posts about how L4 deals with the links in the Lexicons. For instance, depending on how you have prioritized your lexicons, if you open DBL and click on a TWOT/TWNT link it will not go to the TWOT/TWNT, instead it will keep you in the very same place in the DBL. So, in order to solve this problem you have to prioritize your Lexicons properly. (You can see a good explanation of this issue in this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/5549/98587.aspx#98587).

What I want to state here is that for me the way the program behaves is not proper. It is not intuitive at all to have a link to a specific resource and it doesn't take you to that place.

I know that there is a solution for this problem, but the solution is to make an "advanced" prioritization by setting the prioritization limits of the Lexicons. That is not a problem for me as I have worked with L3 and L4 for 3 years. However this comes to be an issue when you have to teach people on how to use L4. Principally when training people that have never worked with a Bible Software before. Everything is new to them, and as there are so many points to understand the concept of the program, the less they have to configure the program to work properly, the better.

I am a teacher assistant at Calvin Theological Seminary (Grand Rapids-MI), and every year we help student on learning how to work with L3/L4. Now, Logos 4 is a requirement for CTS students and we have a team (3) to give the necessary support for the students. That is why this is not just a matter of knowing how to do it. It is a matter of passing the concepts of the software behavior to others.

I want to state here that I am happy with the L4 structure. It is certainly easier to teach people how to work with L4 than with L3. The problem with L3 is that to make the program good for the student to follow the classes and have all the addins, tools, resources, licenses, etc., all working fine, it was quite  a challenge. Logos 4 has made it easier and I hope it will keep this way.

So, to make clear my case here, I believe the way the prioritization is working should be different. If I have a link to the TWNT, or to Strong's Number and I click on it, it should take me there. Now, if I want it different, then I can go to an advanced setting, but the way it is now is the other way around. So, if a new user of L4 accesses these links, they will get what they expect. Later on, as they learn better the program, they will learn how to configure the program the way they want.

I would really appreciate comments on this matter, so, if most people agree we could ask Logos for changes on the program behavior.

Blessings to all

I'm pleased to see that they are getting some non-Dutchmen at Calvin.  This was not generally the case when I was there. I fondly remember hearing Bach's organ works perfomed on the chapel organ.

I disagree with those who found keylinking in L3 difficult.  There were times when it needed to be tweeked a bit, but it was generally not a problem.  Sometimes a link didn't appear to go where you thought it ought since a particular primarily prioritized resource simply doesn't have it (or not as spelled).

The trick is to prioritize a number of lexicons in L4.  The top priority should go to BDAG in Greek and HALOT in Hebrew.  Once this has been done you can right-click on a word and select the resource you wish to consult. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 242
Nielsen Tomazini | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 12:30 PM

George Somsel:
I'm pleased to see that they are getting some non-Dutchmen at Calvin.  This was not generally the case when I was there. I fondly remember hearing Bach's organ works perfomed on the chapel organ.

George, I have been at Calvin for the last 3 years and we have a good number of international students. Koreans, Malays, Indonesians, Japaneses, Chineses, and even Brazilians like me. But still a very Dutch seminary like everything around here. The Calvin Seminary Community is a blessings for me.

www.aprendalogos.com 
Youtube: AprendaLogos

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 12:57 PM

For me current system looks simple and logical. General way how the greek/hebrew references work is given by the prioritized list of lexicons. If I want for instance Strong's # for Greek to go to one particular lexicon (Spiros Zodiates WSNTDICT in my case) than I have to use advanced privatization option. For TWOT number I can (should) of course prioritize TWOT. Easy decision since there are not other lexicons you can use instead of that one in it's place. Not so with Strong's numbers. So the simple system is maintained. To ask Logos to know which reference can be used for more than one resource and give us option and for other reference/number give us just one and only resource looks to much for me. Keep it simple. Two options. The general one and the special one. That's what works well for me. I know I am not the newbee user, but to think that so complex software as Logos is will work just taken out of the box without any study and searching for advice, reading the instructions and watching the videos is not right IMHO.

Bohuslav

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 1:46 PM

When I look up a lemma, it takes me to strongs.  That often answers my question.  If it doesn't, I go thro my parallel resources till either I find the answer to my question or I realise that none of the lexicons helps me.  I was wondering about trying to prioritise another lexicon, but after reading this thread, I think I'll waste less time just continuing as I have been doing!  I do love being able to switch so easily between parallel resources for Commentaries, Bibles and lexicons.  Thank you, Logos!

Incidentally, please fill out my education and tell me what IMHO and OP mean!

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:08 PM

IMHO=in my humble opinion

OP=original poster

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:11 PM

nicky crane:

OP is the "Original Poster" (I think). IMHO stands for  "In My Humble Opinion."

EDIT: Sorry Mark, I haven't seen your post before answering.

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 2:26 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

nicky crane:

OP is the "Original Poster" (I think). IMHO stands for  "In My Humble Opinion."

EDIT: Sorry Mark, I haven't seen your post before answering.

I would have thought that OP signified "out of print" [or Orthodox Presbyterian].

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 31340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 9:14 PM

George Somsel:
I would have thought that OP signified "out of print"

When anyone should know its Order of Preachers (aka Dominicans).Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 18 2010 9:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
I would have thought that OP signified "out of print"

When anyone should know its Order of Preachers (aka Dominicans).Big Smile

You got me on that one.  It had slipped my mind which is not surprising since I'm a confirmed (after being baptized) Protestant. 

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 3:14 AM

Of course - I forgot!  Maybe more like Ordo Predicatorum (my Latin is rusty!).

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 3:46 AM

I guess I'm dumb.

I was in the TWOT and clicked a link labled "TDNT" and Logos opened DBL Greek!

Why exactly did it do that?

EDITED TO ADD: It was because the link was ACTUALLY a note IN DBL Greek REFERRING TO TDNT!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS