For and Against Calvinism Question

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 3 2019 3:34 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/26686/for-calvinism-and-against-calvinism

Would you say these two are well balanced in presenting each other’s view on calvinism? Or are there better works out there?

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 10289
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 3:42 AM

DAL:

Would you say these two are well balanced in presenting each other’s view on calvinism? Or are there better works out there?

They are very well balanced, each author even writing the foreword for the other. I think I saw a video some time ago where the authors were discussing Calvinism on a stage.

If I remember correct, the "For Calvinism" book sometimes employs straw-men arguments, but it is still more balanced than most books I've read from a Calvinist perspective. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 4:53 AM

Thanks NB Mick! I’ll search my library first to make sure they’ll contribute at least a little extra to what I already have 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1218
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 5:46 AM

Olson's work here is refreshing. He's very insightful, uses a ton of historical theology (obviously), and does a better job in stating the true Arminian position than most authors. This book of his is every bit as good as Trouble with the Tulip and What Love is This!

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1141
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 6:16 AM

I've read works by Olson but not this particular one; however, I do recall him saying that he did not particularly like what was conveyed by the title "Against Calvinism"--the publisher chose it.

Posts 9100
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 7:12 AM

DAL:

I was very impressed by the balanced approach of this resource when I read it several years ago. I highly recommend it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1428
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 9:30 AM

Bruce Dunning:

DAL:

I was very impressed by the balanced approach of this resource when I read it several years ago. I highly recommend it.

I fully agree with what Bruce and the others have said.  Each author treated the other author and his view with great respect.  I wish there were more resources like these.

Posts 144
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 1:14 PM

I own and have read this book carefully. I have had it in my "dead tree" library for several years. It is well worth the time and effort to read. I especially have liked how Roger Olson in his books will mention a helpful resource and I have found his judgment as to the value and significance of those resources to be excellent.

Posts 2143
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 2:34 PM

I was just seriously debating buying this with my birthday money and you have all helped  tip the scales in favor of doing so.  Thanks.

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 3:41 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Thank you for the links!

DAL

Posts 6729
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2019 3:43 PM

GaoLu:

I was just seriously debating buying this with my birthday money and you have all helped  tip the scales in favor of doing so.  Thanks.

I just bought them with no code, since the other code I used it for another set that also caught my attention.

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS