Hebrew Pentateuch of the Samaritans

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 6 2019 9:34 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/144547/the-hebrew-pentateuch-of-the-samaritans 

Skip this if not interested.

I'm not sure when Logos shipped this. Maybe a year ago, after Bibleworks died and BW'ers (not Logosians) used it. 

But worth some comments, for later searchers.

- It's older, so pre-DSS and prior to the patterns found there. So, some grains of salt.

- The introductions are in german (as the Logos gratifyingly points out). But when you're looking for a manuscript usage, it's worth struggling thru the german. The discussion is in-depth.

- The apparatus is well worth it. Accordance has a tagged Samaritan but no apparatus (that I could see). A variant-MSS seems most valuable with the apparatus, not tagging. Go Logos! (ok, so I'm improperly  partisan)

- No english (obviously). I have Benyamin Tsedaka's 'first english translation'. I compared it to the apparatus. Tsedaka bolds significant variances. Personally, the apparatus is more significant. But Tsedaka's notes (extensive) are quite good. So, I'd say 'both'.

- Accordance also offers the Samaritan Targum,  just as info. The apparatus refs it also.

Screencopy (mobile!):

And if you sought out Tsedaka, don't forget David Retter's Index to the Talmud (we'll be quiet about Tov):

https://www.amazon.com/Hamafteach-Complete-Talmud-Daniel-Retter/dp/9653013602 

It's main value is topics (grouping word searches).

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 10:56 AM

It was on CP, and released only very recently.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 1:26 PM

I had to laugh because as soon as I read the title of this thread I knew it had to be from you Denise Smile.

I too received this title recently when it was on CP. Now that I'm looking at this I think i might take some time to explore it.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 2:04 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I had to laugh because as soon as I read the title of this thread I knew it had to be from you Denise Smile.

I too received this title recently when it was on CP. Now that I'm looking at this I think i might take some time to explore it.

Well, let's give credit where credit was overcome by his passing: good old Matthew! You, Bruce, probably have more forumite history than I do. But when I came along, Matthew was already grumbling about Samaritan, and NETS too. I never understood how a guitar collector wanted Samaritan, or who would trade great guitars for Samaritan. But Matthew definitely didn't accept any criticism of Logos. Good guy.

So, here's to Matthew (cup of coffee)! And Matthew's favorite Bible software!

Edit:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/8393.aspx?PageIndex=1 

I thought interesting because Matthew was weighing Cambridge LXX vs Gottingen (66 volumes!). And Milford too.

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2019 6:03 PM

Denise:

But when I came along, Matthew was already grumbling about Samaritan, and NETS too. I never understood how a guitar collector wanted Samaritan, or who would trade great guitars for Samaritan. But Matthew definitely didn't accept any criticism of Logos. Good guy.

So, here's to Matthew (cup of coffee)! And Matthew's favorite Bible software!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Here's to Matthew! Coffee (and Milford too!) I miss those guys!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 590
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2019 9:04 AM

Denise,

I tagged it in my library with the access date of 10/18. It took me a while to find it since I was trying to type in the English title (and found that mine is in German, so not sure how I'm going to use it)...anyway it has been available for a year.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 7 2019 9:18 AM

Bill Shewmaker:

Denise,

I tagged it in my library with the access date of 10/18. It took me a while to find it since I was trying to type in the English title (and found that mine is in German, so not sure how I'm going to use it)...anyway it has been available for a year.

Thank you, Bill. If indeed, also Jan (CP ship), that's quite a while for delaying (their choice, of course, I got it in BW).

Frankly, German's not your problem (smiling). Even if you can do hebrew, you're still looking at layers of copies (Samaritan) and limited OT-MT evidence (DSS pieces and Leningrad a thousand years later). We still need that secret cave holding the original!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS