New Tyndale volume on Genesis- Podcast available

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 10 2019 9:05 AM

The New Books in Christian Studies podcast released a new edition with Andrew Steinmann, author of the new Tyndale OTC volume on Genesis, which is in pre-pub as I write this.

This is a helpful review of the book. I wish every commentary had this much info available before I bought it.

Here's a link to the podcast.

For those of you who are bibliophiles and have not discovered the New Books network, there are dozens of categories to choose from; I recommend it for podcast/book aficionados.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 27684
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 9:23 AM

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 9:47 AM

Nice! Apart from the sometimes awkward interviewer, I would concur with Doc. It's a really interesting and often informative podcast. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 236
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 10:44 AM

Thank you, I have just subscribed.

Posts 8948
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 10 2019 4:47 PM

Thanks for sharing Doc. I appreciated listening to the podcast.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 440
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 4:02 AM

Out of interest, does the podcast mention anything about the author's approach to Gen 1-2? Derek Kidner's edition was pro-evolution, pro-historical Adam. How does this new volume compare? 

PS. Only asking for information, no theological opinions will follow (from me at least!)

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 11:07 AM

Liam & Abi Maguire:

Out of interest, does the podcast mention anything about the author's approach to Gen 1-2? Derek Kidner's edition was pro-evolution, pro-historical Adam. How does this new volume compare? 

PS. Only asking for information, no theological opinions will follow (from me at least!)

The podcast conveniently cuts short before that issue is addressed, at a point in the dialogue where it would naturally come up. Odd that there is no remark on the website or their twitter feed that the audio is cut short.

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 11:28 AM

Best I can tell from looking at some preview pages is that he believes the six days of creation are ordinary days. Whether he believes the ordinary days serve as a literary device to talk about "function," I don't know. However, he does say that on the fourth day, "For the first time God's creative word also notes the function that a part of his creation will serve..." (54). 

He seems to hold to a historical Adam and Eve, though it's not clear from what's available if he thinks they were representatives or actually the first pair of humans. He is critical of JEDP theory and holds to Mosaic authorship (with a few later edits) .

Posts 440
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 11:39 AM

That is strange that the audio cuts short. You know, there is only one logical explanation, right? Conspiracy!

No seriously, Thanks JRB, that is really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to look. 

Check out my blog 'For Fathers'

Posts 462
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 12:45 PM

Liam & Abi Maguire:
That is strange that the audio cuts short. You know, there is only one logical explanation, right? Conspiracy!

I'm just pointing out the obvious. New Books podcast is just one letter away from being abbreviated NBA, which, as we recently learned, is in the pocket of a certain foreign government. So, why be surprised at the fact that the New Books podcast is also engaging in censorship? 

Posts 459
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 11 2019 7:58 PM

J. Remington Bowling:

Liam & Abi Maguire:

I'm just pointing out the obvious. New Books podcast is just one letter away from being abbreviated NBA, which, as we recently learned, is in the pocket of a certain foreign government. So, why be surprised at the fact that the New Books podcast is also engaging in censorship? 

Nicely done, Guys.  Enjoyable chuckle at the end of the week.  I did find that abrupt shutdown of the podcast episode odd, but I appreciate you turning the oddity into an opportunity for humor.  Smile

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS