Thoughts on Logos 9 Arrival?

Page 4 of 8 (158 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 157 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 34336
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 29 2020 3:06 PM

SineNomine:
I forget for sure whether/how badly Logos.com crashed last time, but that wasn't really "advance".

I wish I would forget. Actually Logos did reasonably well ... but Verbum ... well, let's just say I believe that Faithlife learned a lesson and there will not be a repeat. They didn't have any emergency same day (or nearly so) system releases so it was relatively stable:

Features

Desktop

• Bible Browser: We’ve added support for several new datasets in Bible Browser, enabling even richer searching: (1) Angels, Demons, and Deities, (2) Commands in the Bible, (3) Messianic Prophecies, (4) Prophets, Priests, Regents, and Judges, (5) Questions in the Bible dataset, (6) Source Criticism, (7) Systematic Theology, and (8) Theophanies.
  • Canvas: Visualize your Bible study. Add info cards (Word Study, Lemma, and Dictionary cards) to your Bible passages. Use special highlights and hand-drawn shapes to make your canvases look beautiful.
  • Concordance guide section: Extract label data from your passage, so you can quickly see, for example, all the questions in your passage.
  • Docs: The Documents menu is now the Docs panel. Open the menu as a full panel to give you more room to see the new faceted browsing sidebar, which exposes document metadata, making it easy to find just the right documents. A new Public view allows you to discover documents shared by other users. Integrated sharing makes it easy to share your documents with others.
  • Faithlife Assistant: Use Ctrl + Spacebar to open Faithlife Assistant, and type or speak to get help finding things in Logos like verses on hope or who was Ambrose?
  • Faithlife Music guide section: Finish music on your passage, topic, or theme from Faithlife Music.
  • Go Box: The Homepage Go Box was merged with the Command Box, making it easier to do more from one place. We also added and improved some of the keyboard shortcuts, making it easier to launch into searches.
  • Guides: The refreshed Guides menu makes finding your favorite guides easier than ever. Type to find anything, and pin your favorites to the top for quicker access. Guides are now easily editable. Open individual guide sections as standalone guides when you have a specific need and don’t need a full guide.
  • Guides Editor: Quickly and easily build guide templates to customize your study, and share them with others.
  • Homepage: A responsive, cross-platform Homepage with a Dashboard and new cards for layouts, learning plans, and workflows helps you keep track of your study. The Explore section introduces you to new content and tools.
  • Important Passages guide section: See all the most discussed passages related to your passage.
  • Important Words guide section: See all the most discussed original language words related to your passage.
  • Lemma in Passage guide section: Jump into your commentaries to see where they discuss key words from your passage.
  • Library: A faceted browsing sidebar makes it easy to quickly find what you’re looking for by Author, Subject, Type, and many other facets, including a new Added facet that captures how recently books were added to your library.
  • Media: Upload and store your own media for use in Sermon Editor and Visual Copy. Enjoy access to a wide variety of new media sets (details below).
  • Notes: A brand new, cross-platform Notes system stores all your notes and highlights in one place, making it create, find, and share with others.
  • Resource panel: A Notes & Highlights faceted sidebar allows you to filter down your resource to just the places you took notes and highlights. An improved user interface and toolbar buttons make your favorite features easier to use. A new Media visual filter shows you where you have Atlas maps, Verse of the Day graphics, and other media.
  • Search: New search templates make the power of advanced searching accessible to everyone. Easily favorite a search, so you can come back to it again later. A new Headword search extension allows you to search for terms or references within articles on a particular topic, a new systematic theology search extension does the same for systematic theology, the Morph Query Engine no longer requires a subscription, and indexing and searching are both faster compared to Logos 7.0.
  • Sermon Outlines guide section: See how others have outlined a passage of Scripture, and get help building your own sermon outline.
  • Theology Guide: The Theology Guide introduces a new ontology of 234 systematic theology topics, with new Topic, Theologically Related Passages, Recommended Reading, and Systematic Theologies sections.
  • Tools menu: A refreshed tools menu makes it easy to find what you’re looking for using the find box or by pinning your favorite tools to the top.
  • User Interface: Logos 8 has a familiar but fresh look and feel, and it’s almost identical to the new Logos 8 web app. Most panels have a sidebar menu on the left (☰) and a panel menu on the right (⋮), creating a consistent experience across the app.
  • Workflow Editor: Build and share your own workflow templates with others with the Workflow Editor.
  • Workflows: The flagship feature of Logos 8 is available in a basic form on the web, which allows you to access your workflows when you’re away from your computer. Since they’re a new kind of guide, you’ll find them in the Guides menu. We’ll be enriching the functionality of Workflows on the web in the coming months.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9154
LogosEmployee

SineNomine:

I forget for sure whether/how badly Logos.com crashed last time, but that wasn't really "advance".

Logos.com held up great for the Logos 8 launch.

Posts 5710
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 1 2020 3:09 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

SineNomine:

Logos.com held up great for the Logos 8 launch.

That would be why I didn't remember it crashing! Big Smile

“Whoever looks upon the Crucified One sees what love is.” — Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger

Posts 4162
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 10:26 AM

As I recall, in the early hours the website was kind of slow. but as the fervor slowed down, things improved.

I've been through a number of these now, and having been a collectors level owner in the past, I can say that enough changed from one version to the next that while the second time around would have been cheaper, it still wasn't free, or just the cost of the new tools.

I think I had 6 collectors, and I think 8 collectors was around 3000$ which isn't terrible. But not something I'm willing to spend that amount of money on at the moment. It did however make many of the other denominational base packages for 7 and 8 more approachable.

As for advance warning, we always have from 23-25 months advance warning. Someone out there has recorded the exact dates and could refine my estimate a bit more I'm sure. But "no man knows the day or hour".

I'll probably do this time, like I did last time, and pick up some of the base packages that have interesting things, that fit my budget for the month.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1196
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 2 2020 12:06 PM

FL took some of the options off the table with L8, by their offering a one-time discount for a limited time. It was nice that they allowed multiple BPs in that option. Each release has it's own quirks, pitfalls, attractions, likes, dislikes, fans, disappointments, and critics. It still reminds me of the upcoming Nov. 3.Hmm

Posts 17
Goh Yong Li Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 7:30 PM

PetahChristian:

A gentle reminder that the forum guidelines ask us not to promote or link to competitors.

not to worry. I have been using Logos for years. while competitors have some edge if features, I won't leave Logos for them.

UI is much cleaner and coherent

Range of books sold in Logos is more and is easier to find. try exploring the website of others... they are more marketed for packages than for individual books.

It works great across mobile/desktop, except for windows, Logos has nice fonts (especially Skolar). and now there's web app.

pardon my ignorance, maybe there's a lot of features I do not know how to use in logos. that said, I feel the learning curve for Logos is harder

Posts 17
Goh Yong Li Samuel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 7:34 PM

the funny thing about Logos packages is even if I buy the package, I still have to buy books/set. The package is a good start but does not include, the tools/books I need/want...

take for example, L7 gold + bdag/halot, + greek grammar beyond the basics etc.
then I will have to hunt for best commentaries
NT/OT introductions (some included)
Encyclopaedia (some included)

Posts 3318
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 6 2020 8:17 PM

Goh Yong Li Samuel:

the funny thing about Logos packages is even if I buy the package, I still have to buy books/set. The package is a good start but does not include, the tools/books I need/want...

take for example, L7 gold + bdag/halot, + greek grammar beyond the basics etc.
then I will have to hunt for best commentaries
NT/OT introductions (some included)
Encyclopaedia (some included)

This is partly because some do not need to by the feature sets because of Faithlife Connect.

https://connect.faithlife.com 

Posts 3208
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 2:49 AM

Logos 9 is 10,000 miles away it is traveling 1 min per mile.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 695
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 10:22 AM

Tes:

= 6.94 days

Posts 2791
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 10:40 AM

Gordon Jones:
6.94 days

I'm feeling "week" right nowCool

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1280
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 12:02 PM

mab:

Gordon Jones:
6.94 days

I'm feeling "week" right nowCool

Would be nice if true. I’m cutting down on unnecessary spending and hoping that my recent purchases results in a discount (it happened when we jumped from 7 to 8 but I’m not sure if the same policy will apply or—if it is—if the window is the same for me as it was then).

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 3208
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 1:22 PM

Gordon Jones:

Tes:

= 6.94 days

Gordon excellent calculation. The problem is how long it takes in the middle stations before its arrival.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5933
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 2:46 PM

Logos 9.0 may never arrive in that it may be rebranded as Faithlife Bible Software. It has been a while since the marketing folks have had a good rebranding party. 

Posts 6748
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 2:50 PM

DIsciple II:
Logos 9.0 may never arrive in that it may be rebranded as Faithlife Bible Software. It has been a while since the marketing folks have had a good rebranding party. 

Interesting concept. Don't know if rebranding would help or hurt it.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 1280
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 2:53 PM

DIsciple II:

I imagine that, if they rebrand it, it will be because they sick of telling people they can’t help them create a logo Wink

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 5933
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 3:18 PM

Well that’s one take on the issue.  I was thinking more along the line of aligning the name of their flagship product with the rest of the stable of products,

Verbum aside. The Faithlife branding has taken a prominent place on the Logos 8 splash screen so could be seen as a first step to rebranding. An alignment of branding would potentially strength the Faithlife brand and eliminate confusion of potential customers who are not familiar with the relationship and brands history while at the same time the FL brand has been in place long enough now to be entrenched in the thought of long term customers that a brand change away from Logos is potentially not a big deal for them now. It would also be a strategic move in the direction of the Connect product with its subscription and web based model becoming more central to the companies marketing to new customers while of course continuing to support existing primarily desktop based customers who have adopted the web app in varying degrees.

This of course is pure speculation and we may well see

Logos 9 and go back to the future with Logos X or see

a rebranding at that point in time.

David Wanat:

DIsciple II:

I imagine that, if they rebrand it, it will be because they sick of telling people they can’t help them create a logo Wink

Posts 2791
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2020 10:04 PM

Based on where development is with Logos 8 and the month, I would be surprised if Logos 9 doesn't show up soon. And at this point, I don't even care if it has just a single new feature, if it runs better, I will buy it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4162
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 6:29 AM

i remember how 7 ran, and when 8 came out it was a magical difference.

60-90 second start times, went down to 3-4 on my laptop, and 20-30 became 1-2 on my desktop (going off memory of a test I did back at that point).

Dramatic difference. I'm hoping 9 brings as much to the table as 8 did.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 20
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2020 9:43 AM

Changing to Faithlife Bible Software would end the debate on how to pronounce Logos Bible Software:

LOW-goess     or    LAH-gahss

https://blog.logos.com/2015/11/how-to-pronounce-logos-and-other-important-evangelical-words/ 

Page 4 of 8 (158 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS