Provide Better Book Previews in Store

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1144
Sean | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 23 2019 6:56 PM

The previews of books in the Logos store are very limited. At the bare minimum, the full table of contents should be provided for every book; a short contiguous sample of a chapter would also be good.

Repeatedly I find myself going to Amazon.com to get a better preview* of books for an informed purchasing decision. FaithLife, do you really want people to visit Amazon before deciding to buy from your store?

(*And for better reviews. You all who keep giving an automatic 5-star rating to each and every book--please stop that.)

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 1:39 AM

Many of us have requested that several times; especially on Lexham Press titles which have zero previews/sample pages.  Maybe some day...

Posts 1694
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 4:28 AM

The few Lexham titles I just checked all had 'See Inside' functionality (on a button below the book cover).

FWIW, I know we're working on improving our page preview functionality for print pages... is there a particular title(s) that need more preview?

We've discussed getting full table of contents preview, even apart from 'See Inside', and this is a helpful reminder... thanks!

Posts 13383
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 4:58 AM

Bob Pritchett:
The few Lexham titles I just checked all had 'See Inside' functionality (on a button below the book cover).

Many resources only have a scan of half-a-dozen pages from the print edition. This is true of all pre-pubs, but it's also true of several books that are already available. One example is the current free book of the month, Jonathan Edwards' Freedom of the Will. Ideally, this shouldn't happen for resources already available, and pre-pubs should have the TOC pages included.

Even when the "See Inside" functionality is included, it's far more limited than Amazon. See inside tends to give a small selection of single pages throughout the book. For example, Jesus, Paul and the People of God gives pages 33, 62-63, 96, 115, 150-151, 181, 214, 248-249, 273. That's a total of 12 pages, but you don't really get a sense of the book, because you're only reading a single page.

For the same book, Amazon gives the full TOC, plus pages 8-12, 14-17, 21-26, 29-33, 36-39, 40-44, 46-50, 52-54, 57-60, 62-64, 66, 68-72, 76-78, 80-81, plus the back matter. That's a total of 55 pages, all from the first three chapters. That gives a far greater sense of the content. It's much more useful to read a few contiguous pages from the early chapters than it is to read just a single page from each chapter. (This is from the print preview. The Kindle preview is more limited.)

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 5:11 AM

All the Lexham Press titles here don’t have a look inside or scanned sample pages.  Not even in the prepub section, which keep me from preordering at times because there are no samples: https://www.logos.com/search?sortBy=Newest&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&filters=publisher-3914_Publisher

DAL

Ps. The Lexham Press website also lacks previews.

Thanks for checking in on this 👍😁👌

Posts 10667
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 24 2019 6:39 AM

DAL:
Ps. The Lexham Press website also lacks previews.

Tried one Lexham Press PDP and found not see inside link https://www.logos.com/product/175837/the-world-turned-upside-down-finding-the-gospel-in-stranger-things 

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2019 10:31 AM

Bob Pritchett:

FWIW, I know we're working on improving our page preview functionality for print pages... is there a particular title(s) that need more preview?

We've discussed getting full table of contents preview, even apart from 'See Inside', and this is a helpful reminder... thanks!

Another suggestion - maybe the TOC and part of the index if it exists in a book. I often look at both to judge a book before buying.

Posts 6855
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 25 2019 12:58 PM

I will say this, though: The previews are better than the ones offered by Accordance on their website.  So is not all bad, but it can be improved 

👍😁👌

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS