Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 50 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:48 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Punched paper tape more fun for storing programs Wink - followed closely by punched card decks => floor sort Crying

I took a FORTRAN class on punched cards. I had a roommate who worked for NOAA in the 80's and they were still using paper tape to load their programs on board their ships.

I own an abacus and a slide rule. Part of my ancient technology collection, which also includes my 8" floppy disk from when I was in college, and a magnetic tape backup of my account on the mainframe, which there's no way to read now even if I wanted to.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:37 AM

We used to use small piles of rocks near the mouth of the cave. You could use a large jawbone to replace 20 rocks, if you needed to record large numbers.

We had one guy that claimed he once needed two jawbones, and some other guy claimed no-one would ever need more than 5, ever!

Posts 3670
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:44 AM

Rosie Perera:
I own an abacus and a slide rule. Part of my ancient technology collection, which also includes my 8" floppy disk from when I was in college, and a magnetic tape backup of my account on the mainframe, which there's no way to read now even if I wanted to.

I had a can of solvent with ground up iron particles (courtesy of Phillips Petroleum) that would allow me to see the tracks on the tape.  With a sufficiently powerful microscope, you could also see the bits, though you could not distinguish the 0's and 1's.  I still have the solvent, but the iron has run its course through 24 years of teaching and demonstrating.

Going back to those days, I also have a bit of wire-wound core memory and a spool of 3-inch wide tape used for large scale backup.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 11:18 AM

JimT, I will never forget the day a friend of mine discovered that most people had 10 fingers and 10 toes.  This discovery allowed us to use the rocks for other things.  However, it is still best to make sure each person has the same number of toes and fingers or it will throw off your calculations.

I believe this is where the concept of a laptop came from!!!

We were sure no one would ever need more toes or fingers than we had, but then some one mentioned evolution, and we knew that would lead to trouble.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:10 PM

Rosie Perera:

Imagine series: 556, 800, 1600, and 6250 turns up some memories. Confused

Circular slide rules were fun to use. Travel

Remember learning hands useful for multiplying digits 6 through 10 (if knew multiplication tables from 0 to 5 first). Huh?

Lunar Lander: simulation using teletypewriter with dial-up computer connection ? burn rate per second. Cake

By the way, copying files to hard disk useful - watching for download video improvements. For example, greek alphabet missing delta and upsilon along with creative letter substitution. Embarrassed

Yes Copies of presentation slide decks would be good.

Idea possibly Logos 4 resource (like Biblical Things) - could open in panel for reference during study.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 9:33 PM

Circular slide rules were fun to use. Travel

Oh yeah, I did that too! PP-ASEL, Instrument, 200+ hrs.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 12:26 AM

Rosie Perera:
I own an abacus and a slide rule.

A question.....can you efficiently use the slide rule?

A mathematics professor of mine in Socorro, NM has a couple of the early "adding" machines.  It was a real blast to see and actually use those for a bit.  I will say this for the slide rule and the adding machines.......you really have to know some math ahead of time to be able to really use them.  The keyboard had the numbers 1-9 in 8 columns.  I know that it would be much faster to do paper and pencil math to this machine. 

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:42 AM

William Bingham:

Rosie Perera:
I own an abacus and a slide rule.

A question.....can you efficiently use the slide rule?

A mathematics professor of mine in Socorro, NM has a couple of the early "adding" machines.  It was a real blast to see and actually use those for a bit.  I will say this for the slide rule and the adding machines.......you really have to know some math ahead of time to be able to really use them.  The keyboard had the numbers 1-9 in 8 columns.  I know that it would be much faster to do paper and pencil math to this machine. 

I confess that I never learned how to use the slide rule. It was given me by my dad who was given it as a gift, as a collector's item, an antique. It's lovely, but it sits in its box collecting dust. I did learn how to use the abacus (which I bought at the gift shop of the old Computer Museum in Boston which doesn't exist anymore), at least for simple addition and subtraction. But I was never very efficient at it. My calculator and even pencil and paper were much faster.

Here's a cool abacus video. And there's even an app for that.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:13 AM

Rosie Perera:
I confess that I never learned how to use the slide rule. It was given me by my dad who was given it as a gift, as a collector's item, an antique. It's lovely ...

It sounds nice. Well not wanting to give too much away (too late) I learnt how to use a slide rule.

At its most basic level, its two bits of sliding plastic, so it only knows how to add or subtract one length of plastic to or from the other. Seems useless unless you mark the scale in log(x), then adding is multiply, and subtract is divide. Thats it really. OK, so mine had x^2  and x^3 scales and a sin() and cos() and maybe
a tan() one too. I forget. A $2 calculator does it better now, and more functions. Times change!

There, by talking about sin(), its ok here in the Logos forum right?

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:45 AM

JimT:

At its most basic level, its two bits of sliding plastic, so it only knows how to add or subtract one length of plastic to or from the other. Seems useless unless you mark the scale in log(x), then adding is multiply, and subtract is divide. Thats it really.

That's about as good a functional description as could be, Jim.

I have three slide-rule "artifacts" still -

1.  The compact aluminum sliderule that I used in high school and college (both back in he 1960's).  (My first slide rule was a full-length plastic one, but I found the compact aluminum design that replaced it to be quite accurate and portable.)

2.  A pocket-sized plastic circular slide rule, kept merely as a curiosity (I never really ever used it).

3.  A gold-colored (coated brass, probably) slide rule tie clip.  (Gee, I haven't actually worn any tie clip in half a century.)  It's actually functional, but is probably accurate to about 1 to 2 significant figures - Big Smile .

Fred

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:23 PM

By the way, my cryptic comments above in response to Keep Smiling 4 Jesus with the airplane icon meant that I studied and got my pilot's license and instrument rating. Though there are digital calculators to do most of this stuff now, many pilots still use a kind of circular slide rule to compute all kinds of things involved in flight planning.

And to make sure this has some relevance to Logos, did you know there's a hymn (in both Steve Green's MIDI Hymnal and Logos Hymnal) called "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me"?) -- cool! There's also an entry in The New Encyclopedia of Christian Martyrs on missionary Jim Elliot and his pilot friend Nate Saint and the others in their team who were killed by the Aucas in Ecuador.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:23 PM

Rosie Perera:
By the way, my cryptic comments above in response to Keep Smiling 4 Jesus with the airplane icon meant that I studied and got my pilot's license and instrument rating.

Able to take off and land in foggy or dark conditions demonstrates Faith in equipment - possible an illustration for Hebrews 11:1 Travel

Glider solo => every landing is an emergency - no option to try again - bit different than copying video files to hard drive.

Idea Wonder about USB drive option for Logos physical deliveries ? (personally prefer electronic download)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:14 PM

Able to take off and land in foggy or dark conditions demonstrates Faith in equipment - possible an illustration for Hebrews 11:1 Travel

I actually heard a speaker (Steven Covey I think) use flying on instruments as an illustration for living by faith, making course corrections along the way. Actually I'm pretty sure it was Covey, because here's someone using that same illustration and citing Covey.

Sorry, this has gotten so far off the original topic of this thread. My plane was hijacked, and the thread came along for the ride! Smile

Posts 2
Mrs. Sandra Christiansen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:14 PM

I am obviously missing a step.  When I click and drag the "Learn .... " title from the DVD box to the tutorial folder created in My Documents, all I get is a shortcut.  It does not copy the files from the DVD.

I am using Windows XP Professional operating system.

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:28 PM

SandraChristiansen:

I am obviously missing a step.  When I click and drag the "Learn .... " title from the DVD box to the tutorial folder created in My Documents, all I get is a shortcut.  It does not copy the files from the DVD.

(caveat - I'm a Mac user so this might not work). Have you tried Right clicking on the folder with the files in and "copying" them, then "pasting" them in your required destination?

Posts 5570
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:39 PM

SandraChristiansen:

I assume you're click/dragging the folder "Learn to Use Biblical Greek" from the DVD to your "My Documents/[Logos Video Tutorials]" folder (or whatever you named the folder).

You may have something set up which is different than the default behavior. Normally in Windows to click and drag a file or folder from one drive to another copies the file or folder to the destination directory. Apparently you have something set up differently on your machine.

The right-click method lostlogik suggests will work for Windows.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 158
Fred | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 2:10 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

I assume you're click/dragging the folder "Learn to Use Biblical Greek" from the DVD to your "My Documents/[Logos Video Tutorials]" folder (or whatever you named the folder).

You may have something set up which is different than the default behavior. Normally in Windows to click and drag a file or folder from one drive to another copies the file or folder to the destination directory. Apparently you have something set up differently on your machine.

Before you try to drag, try holding down the Shift key first before you click to drag, or try holding down the Ctrl key first before you click to drag (in either case, press and hold the key down as you then click on the folder and drag it).  (The Shift+drag and Ctrl+drag combinations have different effects on dragging - copying, moving, or making a shortcut - depending on the context.)  One or the other of those combinations will generally change what dragging does from whatever the default is to copying or moving, etc.

Or. to copy without dragging, just click on the source folder (e.g., "Learn to Use Biblical Greek") to select it, and press Ctrl+C to copy, and then click on the destination location folder (e.g., "My Documents/[Logos Video Tutorials]", etc.) where you want that folder to go, and press Ctrl-V to paste the source folder into the destination folder.

Fred

Posts 2
Mrs. Sandra Christiansen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 2:59 PM

I want to thank the people who got back to me in such a short time about copying the "Learn Greek/Hebrew" DVDs to my computer.  You got me started in the process and were a great encouragement.  The missing steps after creating the new destination folder for Windows XP Professional are: pray for wisdom, in My Documents: select file to copy on the DVD, select Edit menu under My Documents, select copy files to folder, select the destination folder you created, hit OK. The simple highlight and drag or highlight / copy files/ drag did not do it.

Thanks, Sandra

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:04 AM

See my post at the ipad section for watching these great teachings on your ipad...

Posts 2446
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 27 2010 1:38 PM

Question:

Is  "MyDocuments" the BEST place to put two 8 gig DVD copys?

[some one put them on the DeskTop]

Many of us backup our MyDocuments directory [that is where most of data we changed is]  - that will add 16 gig to the backup

Can we come up with some other 'standard' location? 

[the other folder names are ok but maybe putting each in its own sub folder - maybe so thing like]

[some place for use as a root (see first post)]

[Logos Video Tutorials ]

[Greek video]

[Hebrew video]

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS