Who is Tony Evans? Educate me.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5858
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:21 PM

Tony Evans seems to be cropping up in a few posts but who is he?; Outside of my ‘cultural experience‘ since I’m not from that part of the world. 

Who is he beyond the dusk jacket promo on the book cover? Has he been newsworthy lately that makes him topical or what is it that makes his books of interest? Is there more to him than just the name? What is his area(s) of interest/expertise and denomination / tradition.

I‘be quite possibly got some of his material in my library as part of a base package or other collection so be good to know more of him?

* Thought I had posted in general but this ended up in suggestions. πŸ™„

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2019 5:22 PM

One of the reasons I like him is because he uses great illustrations to teach biblical truth. 

His son (Anthony) has had moderate success as a singer. His daughter (Priscilla Shirer) is an increasingly well known teacher in women's ministry circles. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8396
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2019 6:03 PM

JT (alabama24):

One of the reasons I like him is because he uses great illustrations to teach biblical truth. 

His son (Anthony) has had moderate success as a singer. His daughter (Priscilla Shirer) is an increasingly well known teacher in women's ministry circles. 

His son should find a new calling. So should his daughter. The few times I’ve seen her ”speak” she literally reads her manuscripts. So she’s not really a speaker, but a reader.

The dad (Tony) he’s a different story. Very practical and motivational. Sometimes apples do fall very far away from the tree. Just an observation.

DAL

Posts 5858
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 31 2019 11:39 PM

Thanks to those who have responded. I was looking to know him through your eyes and why you want his material in your library in addition to the standard biographical presentation of him.

Posts 19306
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 1:15 AM

DIsciple II:
Tony Evans seems to be cropping up in a few posts but who is he?

I had never heard of him before. The only reason I reported a bug recently about searching for his books is because I was trying to figure out who he was after having seen someone else post about him, and had a hard time getting the website to work for me on that quest.

Posts 5858
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:08 AM

Rosie Perera:

DIsciple II:
Tony Evans seems to be cropping up in a few posts but who is he?

I had never heard of him before. The only reason I reported a bug recently about searching for his books is because I was trying to figure out who he was after having seen someone else post about him, and had a hard time getting the website to work for me on that quest.

I am not alone then in my lack of familiarity with him. πŸ™‚

Posts 29797
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 4:17 AM

I think most would be unfamiliar with him unless they listened to his radio show “The Urban Alternative,” which was a 30 minute version of his Sunday morning preaching. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 688
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 7:37 AM

Well respected, black evangelical who preaches dynamically in the black tradition, with a firm commitment to expositing the Scriptures. Terrific illustrator. Has several books published by Moody Press. First ThD graduate of Dallas Seminary. His church, Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship, is located in Dallas, in Oak Cliff neighborhood. Currently, his wife Lois is in a tough battle with cancer.

Posts 9526
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 11:48 AM

Ted Weis:
First ThD graduate of Dallas Seminary.

First African-American ThD graduate of Dallas Seminary is what I think you meant to write for that is the case.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2455
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2019 9:48 AM

Ted Weis:

Well respected, black evangelical who preaches dynamically in the black tradition, with a firm commitment to expositing the Scriptures...First [African-American] ThD graduate of Dallas Seminary.

It is his merger of the African-American preaching tradition and solid Evangelical exegesis that sets him apart in my honest opinion.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5858
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2019 5:11 PM

Thanks allπŸ‘

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 19 2019 7:58 PM

Hi Dal:

There is a "strategy for cultural transformation" free course, have you taken it? and if you have, how was it?

He seems to write a lot about spiritual warfare, is he charismatic?

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

Posts 8396
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 6:54 AM

Hamilton Ramos:

Hi Dal:

There is a "strategy for cultural transformation" free course, have you taken it? and if you have, how was it?

He seems to write a lot about spiritual warfare, is he charismatic?

Thanks ahead of time for the input.

No, I have not taken the course.  And yes, he is charismatic.  I’m not, but I learn what I can and the rest just toss it aside.

DAL

Posts 518
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:12 AM

Actually he is not Charismatic.

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:15 AM

Thank you DAL, fair enough.

Somehow I got quite of his books, but have not gotten to check them out by subject yet.

I wish there was a function that statistically gave the amount of treatment of keywords in a particular authors collection, so one could have an idea of what kind of information he / she will be focusing on.

AI maybe in the future? LOL.

No doubt, we are approaching researcher's bliss more and more. LOL.

Posts 954
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:21 AM

Hi Nord:

That is interesting, if he is not charismatic how can someone talk about spiritual warfare?

From what the Bible shows, discernment of spirits is very needed for such, not to mention word of science, knowledge, etc.

Is not such what the Bible refers to?

1 Corinthians 14:25

the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you

[Bold mine, and it elicits a question, is such way to know that God is with one's group still applies? Just because the Canon is closed does not mean that the devil is not working at present against believers still I guess. How can you be illuminated about the schemes of the devil and how can you fight against them without the charismata?]

I am going to have to start research on how cessationist exegete the above verse, and what the theological and orthopraxisal implication of it are.

Many good resources are going to come out touching about some key related concepts: God's presence, etc.

Posts 2455
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 7:42 AM

Hamilton Ramos:
if he is not charismatic how can someone talk about spiritual warfare?

How do you define "charismatic"?

Just because a person is a cessationist regarding the "sign gifts" does NOT mean that he/she denies spiritual activity in the present world.

There is a continuum from hard cessation, soft cessation, soft continuation, hard continuation. from p.316 of "The promise" Evans writes "The approach I will seek to explain and defend is that the gift of tongues, while a legitimate experience, is not meant to be a universal experience."

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 8:37 AM

David Thomas:
Just because a person is a cessationist regarding the "sign gifts" does NOT mean that he/she denies spiritual activity in the present world.

Concern for spiritual warfare does not belong to our charismatic brethren alone. We Baptists also recognize the present activity of Satan and his minions.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS