Free Books of the Minth

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1276
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 1 2019 12:47 AM

This month's free book and the +1s are well regarded commentaries.

https://www.logos.com/free-book-of-the-month

As someone who's never been to seminary I've previously avoided commentaries that require an understanding of Greek or Hebrew. I have however used commentaries like the ZECNT series which whilst quoting the Greek will also provide a translation, which means my lack of Greek is not an issue. With the NIGTC books on offer the Greek isn't translated. Is there a workaround for those of us that don't read the original languages?

Here's an example sentence:

Mark 1:14–15 (Mark (NIGTC)): Mark will refer later to Jesus’ characteristic activity as κηρύσσων

Update. The above was from the free book. Using the "look inside" feature it does look like the 1 Corinthians volume contains more translation, which is great as that seems to the best regarded commentary by many, but has always seemed too daunting. But at $9.99 it's probably worth a go - especially as there does appear to be a far level to translation included.

Posts 635
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 1:50 AM

And Novembers free books from Faithlife Ebooks and Verbum

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 358
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:03 AM

I’m confused—I thought “Free” book of the month was “Free?”  Why does it charge $9.99 when I add it to my cart?

BTW, I have this entire set on another software platform and it’s easily one of my go-to’s for serious exegesis and analyses.  

Posts 2574
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:16 AM

Puddin’:

I’m confused—I thought “Free” book of the month was “Free?”  Why does it charge $9.99 when I add it to my cart?

Interestingly, it is only free when you add it to your cart on its own, without purchasing any other item in the same go.

(I've not seen this kind of bug before...)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 29087
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 2:36 AM

Is the "minth" of the title a diminutive because the month only has 30 days? Sorry but I needed a humor break.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 358
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:06 AM

Jan Krohn:

Puddin’:

Interestingly, it is only free when you add it to your cart on its own, without purchasing any other item in the same go.

(I've not seen this kind of bug before...)

Odd—it was actually the polar opposite for me.  I finally got it for free when I noticed it on the side menu after already having something else in my cart.

Posts 276
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:32 AM

The link on the main page to the free book incorrectly points to the $9.99 book, and adds the latter to your cart.

While waiting for Faithlife to fix the link, you can add the free book to your shopping cart by choosing it on the sidebar as Puddin' notes.

Posts 358
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:50 AM

Probably a silly question, but do we get to “keep” the monthly free ebooks in our library “forever” (you know what I mean🤨)?

If so, man, this alone is worth having Logos software IMO.

Posts 56
Eduardo Fergusson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:56 AM

Puddin’:

Probably a silly question, but do we get to “keep” the monthly free ebooks in our library “forever” (you know what I mean🤨)?

Yes! It appears as "permanent" in your library

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 3:59 AM

The link accidentally puts the Corinthian book in your cart.  However, I was able to add it by finding it in a general search. 

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 4:00 AM

I noticed that there is also something about purchasing multiple copies for others.  When did Faithlife start doing this?

Posts 2574
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 4:19 AM

Also, the books are grayed out for me on the free-book-of-the-month page, possibly because they're currently in my connect trial subscription.

However, on the product pages, I can still buy them permanently.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1276
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 4:44 AM

MJ. Smith:

Is the "minth" of the title a diminutive because the month only has 30 days? Sorry but I needed a humor break.

Or possibly because I set my alarm to buy them as soon as they're released, in case the deals change! Will try to type whilst awake in future!

Posts 358
Puddin’ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 4:56 AM

Eduardo Fergusson:

Puddin’:

Yes! It appears as "permanent" in your library

👍👏🏼☝️

Posts 1654
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 5:04 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Here's an example sentence:

Mark 1:14–15 (Mark (NIGTC)): Mark will refer later to Jesus’ characteristic activity as κηρύσσων

When I right click on the Greek here using my setup of Logos on the desktop, it brings up a menu which includes a gloss of the Greek into English, as well as giving the option for a full Bible Word Study on the Lemma (or dictionary form of the word). I cannot say for sure how much of this is from the resource itself, and how much is from other resources and datasets I own (eg. various Greek lexica, especially analytical lexica), but I strongly suspect that Logos has actually tagged the Greek text itself in these works with the Lemma forms so that it would work better in the Logos ecosystem.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 59
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 6:33 AM

In agreement with Ken, I find Logos will provide what is needed to deal with the non translated Greek in the NIGTC set and others. I have my system (laptop) set up so that hovering over the word of interest will provide the basic information needed in the information tab. A click in the word 'freezes' the information tab to the selected word and provides a way to gain much more information about the word, as Ken described.

Do not fear using technical commentaries, the Logos tools will help you get over the hurdles, and you will be gaining experience with the original language as well.

Best wishes,

Joseph

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 269
LogosEmployee
Celeste Fiorillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 6:33 AM

The "add to cart" link for the free book has been fixed. 

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 1 2019 6:52 AM

Paul Caneparo:
Free Books of the Minth

"Minth? Did you say, Minth?"

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS