Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 78
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 19 2010 5:58 PM

As I'm starting to create a note file that currently contains all the notes I write in one single note file (including comments, issues, and everything) all in one single note file.

Before my current note files becomes large, I am wondering if these items might be helpful to know in advance:

1. Is there a benefit to having all your notes in one file or better to have them in multiple files? searching?

2. Are there some speed issues that one might encounter after putting lots of notes in just one file?

Thanks!

-Chris

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:07 PM

ChrisHartman:

As I'm starting to create a note file that currently contains all the notes I write in one single note file (including comments, issues, and everything) all in one single note file.

Before my current note files becomes large, I am wondering if these items might be helpful to know in advance:

1. Is there a benefit to having all your notes in one file or better to have them in multiple files? searching?

2. Are there some speed issues that one might encounter after putting lots of notes in just one file?

Thanks!

-Chris

Opinions are divided on this issue, but that won't stop me from giving you mine. Wink

I would definitely advise multiple notefiles rather than one large one. Here's why: 1) If your file should become corrupt for some reason, you'll only loose some of your data; 2) Libronix can be slow to start with a lot of annotations, having the ability to only have some of your notes load up on startup can save some time; 3) It's easier to find things when you know what you're looking for, when your stuff is divided into categories; 4) there's only a negligible HD space factor, if you use multiple note files rather than one big one (if HD space is an issue, don't look for savings here!).

All that to say, that IMHO, the advantages of multiple note files outweigh the advantages of a single "everything" file.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 777
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:53 PM

Hi, Richard:

What steps would you recommend to split an already-large notes file?

Posts 26292
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:57 PM

JackHairston:

Hi, Richard:

What steps would you recommend to split an already-large notes file?

Create a new note file.

Open both note files.

Put both into compact mode.

drag and drop selected notes to new file.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19
Gene Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 2:13 PM

I found that having one large note file caused my Logos to run unbearably slow so I went to many smaller files, but had to transfer each note manually - a process that took hours!  I could not drag and drop.  Am I missing something?  why could i not drag and drop?  You say to "put both in compact mode" - what do you mean by that?  does thismake difference?  I simply placed the notes side by side, but again, could not drag and drop.

Posts 21869
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 10:13 PM

GeneChristian:
Am I missing something?  why could i not drag and drop?  You say to "put both in compact mode" - what do you mean by that?  does thismake difference?  I simply placed the notes side by side, but again, could not drag and drop.

Hi Gene

"Compact mode" was something introduced in Logos 4.0c.

I don't know whether it was in Libronix so just want to check which version of software you are using - as your post is in the Libronix forum.

Graham

Posts 4761
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 11 2010 7:57 PM

From experience I can acknowledge s....l.....o.....w performance when only one note file is used. I created many smaller note files to resolve this issue, but I am not trying to convert all at once. I create a new file in the same place (whether a verse or selection) change the color of the new note to keep track of which is which, then copy the note into the new file and delete the old one.

And yes, this is an L3 thread, so L3 resolutions needed.

Posts 4917
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 2:27 PM

Graham Criddle:

GeneChristian:
Am I missing something?  why could i not drag and drop?  You say to "put both in compact mode" - what do you mean by that?  does thismake difference?  I simply placed the notes side by side, but again, could not drag and drop.

Hi Gene

"Compact mode" was something introduced in Logos 4.0c.

I don't know whether it was in Libronix so just want to check which version of software you are using - as your post is in the Libronix forum.

Graham

Compact mode is not available in Libronix 3.  Neither is drag and drop.  A manual transfer of notes is the only option through the interface. 

There is another approach that can be taken outside the Libronix interface.   I haven't go time to document the steps right now (It's Monday morning in my timezone ) but will come back and do that later if you like. What I will say now is make sure you have a backup copy of your orignal note file and I'll remind you of that again later.

Posts 19
Gene Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 3:24 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I am using Libronix 3.0g and now I understand that the features i want to use are unavailable except in 4.0.  Unfortunately I cannot install 4.0 (according to the tech. dept.) untill I reinstall my Windows XP or update to Windows 7.  I have some sort of missing file that apparently only a reinstall will fix, that I must have to run Logos 4.  Thats a chore I currently do not have the time or energy to do.

Andrew, there is no need to explain your "other approach."  I have completed my transfer of notes, but thank you for the offer.

Posts 1
Keith Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 7:35 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm trying to edit my note files so that I don't just have various files called "Notefile1" and "notefile2" etc.  Can you please tell me how to do this?

THanks,
Keith 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 7:52 AM

Keith,

Welcome to the forums! Renaming a note file is a little hidden. You have to go to File>Open. Select the note file you want and then click rename. Enter the new name an click OK.

Posts 2
David A Green | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 2:36 PM

Can you expand on that other method?

I need to combine several small Note Files   (Libronix 3) 

David

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS