BUG: Is Figurative Language a deliberate dead end/no outlet path?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 26831
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 2 2019 9:10 PM

Westbury, Joshua R., Jeremy Thompson, Kristopher A. Lyle, and Jimmy Parks, eds. Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016. Color me naive but from the documentation, I expected some kind of link from the tagging to the references. So here are my first two disappointments which may be bugs:

1. When I select the label on the left hand side, I expect to see the full entry in Label on the right hand side as the left hand hover is not persistent and the values of the attributes are likely critical to what I'll want to do next.

2. I would expect there to be a path between the "Son of God as Jesus" in the label and the resources given in the documentation. Based upon the behavior of the rest of the system, I would expect Factbook to contain an entry for the type "Son of God as Jesus" - no such entry. Based on expediency, I would expect a link on the right hand side of the context menu to the documentation.

3. So I think perhaps something was added to the Factbook that I didn't notice. So I look at the Source and Topic Factbook entries. I find (a) no Figurative Language data added under "See Also", (b) no new section for Figurative language {I see in the documentation that this exists, but I can't find it}, and (c) the Dictionary section in no way marks figurative language resources and in fact does not even include at least one primary dictionary resource.

So I am given useful information with no way to navigate back to my primary resources on the topic? I would expect some way to reach your documentation's information and some way to add community tags to link to resources such as these when not already indexed. Unless I'm missing an obvious path, this is more a pot hole than one of your infamous and enjoyable rabbit holes.

Figurative Language Bibliography

Wilson, Neil, and Nancy Ryken Taylor. The A to Z Guide to Bible Signs and Symbols: Understanding Their Meaning and Significance. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2015.

Jensen, Robin M. Baptismal Imagery in Early Christianity: Ritual, Visual, and Theological Dimensions. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012.

Ryken, Leland, Jim Wilhoit, Tremper Longman, Colin Duriez, Douglas Penney, and Daniel G. Reid. Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2000.

Laniak, Timothy S., Gary M. Burge, and Tim Laniak. Finding the Lost Images of God. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2012.

Wiersbe, Warren W. Index of Biblical Images: Similes, Metaphors, and Symbols in Scripture. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2000.

Westbury, Joshua R., Jeremy Thompson, Kristopher A. Lyle, and Jimmy Parks, eds. Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016.

Beck, John A., ed. Zondervan Dictionary of Biblical Imagery. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011.

Exported from Verbum, 9:06 PM November 2, 2019.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26831
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 14 2019 10:44 PM

Bump

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2679
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 12:18 PM

MJ. Smith:

Bump

MJ,

I've asked the Content Innovation team to take a look at your post and they will follow up.

Posts 758
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 1:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

1. When I select the label on the left hand side, I expect to see the full entry in Label on the right hand side as the left hand hover is not persistent and the values of the attributes are likely critical to what I'll want to do next.

Agreed. This looks like a casualty of the redesign of the context menu: i'll raise this with the developers. 

MJ. Smith:

2. I would expect there to be a path between the "Son of God as Jesus" in the label and the resources given in the documentation. Based upon the behavior of the rest of the system, I would expect Factbook to contain an entry for the type "Son of God as Jesus" - no such entry. Based on expediency, I would expect a link on the right hand side of the context menu to the documentation. Since the resources curated for Figurative Language terms are not the same as the more general resources associated with a concept like "Son of God" in Factbook, we'd have to figure out how to present those in a more nuanced way. 

There is a link in the context menu to the article on "Son of God as Jesus", but it's hard to find (and the short labels don't help). 

We're looking at ways to better integrate Figurative Language into future versions of Factbook. 

MJ. Smith:

3. So I think perhaps something was added to the Factbook that I didn't notice. So I look at the Source and Topic Factbook entries. I find (a) no Figurative Language data added under "See Also", (b) no new section for Figurative language {I see in the documentation that this exists, but I can't find it}, and (c) the Dictionary section in no way marks figurative language resources and in fact does not even include at least one primary dictionary resource.

This is another place where I hope to improve Figurative Language integration with Factbook in the future. There's a fundamental tension (especially for a subject like "Son of God") between making more complete pages and providing an overwhelming amount of content: we're still thinking about ways to improve that. However, we don't have any current or planned designs where Factbook content will change based on where you started from (going from Figurative Language Glossary to Factbook): you probably weren't proposing that anyway. 

I'm fully agreed that we need more connections between the various bits of information in the ecosystem. 

Posts 26831
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 15 2019 3:42 PM

Thanks Sean for a thoughtful, helpful response.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS