Commentary for Teens?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 523
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 3 2019 10:18 AM

Any recommendations on a Romans commentary for teens? 

Context: I'm going through pericope by pericope (while reading larger sections), having them give summary/meaning/application. It's been much more difficult than I thought and I end up doing most of it. 

My thought was to have them read a section and write out their thoughts as best they can, then check a commentary, then go back and re-read and re-write. 

Any other suggestions? (I'm skeptical of reading comp. tasks that aren't directly related to subject.)

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 11:01 AM

Maybe try a one volume commentary like, The Bible Guide, The Bible Knowledge Commentary, Evangelical Commentary on the Bible, or even The Teacher's Commentary.

I have more but those may be a good place to start, and if you don't have them the cost is lower than buying a " Romans only commentary" and then you would be able to have them study the whole Bible by commentary.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 22358
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 11:10 AM

Have you considered using a Study Bible as opposed to a commentary?

Posts 1116
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 11:52 AM

Graham Criddle:

Have you considered using a Study Bible as opposed to a commentary?

I remember enjoying the ESV Student Study Bible and the NIV Student Bible - both as hardbacks. Obviously there's the Lexham Study Bible too.

Posts 523
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 2:01 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. The Bible Guide land The Teacher's Commentary look like they might be a good fit -- I'm afraid The Bible Knowledge Commentary and Evangelical Commentary might be too in-depth for providing a model for summary.

I may try study bibles if this doesn't provide what I need. However in my experience, outside of book introductions, the body text is too focused on specifics. Commentaries tend to take a step back and look at the place of a chapter or a pericope within the flow of the book. 

(I have the ESV Story of Redemption Study Bible somewhere in my room but can't find it! ... Faithlife should put this in Logos.)

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 911
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 2:56 PM

What about "Be Right" by Wiersbe?

Posts 6860
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 3 2019 3:07 PM

The Message of Romans by John Stott is a good alternative.

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS